Keyword

thumbnails not working

More
17 years 1 month ago #979 by folkbear
Replied by folkbear on topic Re: thumbnails not working
The Solution is pretty simple if I come to think of it.

you have to chmod plugin_jw_sig.php en plugin_jw_sig.xml to 755 in your mambots/content-folder
then chmod the whole plugin_jw_sig-folder to 755 (check "apply changes to folder, subfolder and files") and you'll see that everything is working fine.

This is the solution I used on my siteground-host and it works like a charm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 1 month ago #980 by hexydes
Replied by hexydes on topic Re: thumbnails not working
This just started happening to me as well. The thumbnails were working fine, on two different sites (same host, not sure if it is the same server), and now there is just a small gray square where they used to be. If you click on that, the shadowbox image still works fine, just no thumbnail.

Was there something pushed out recently on the server side (MySQL, PHP, etc) that maybe hosts are installing that is breaking SIG somehow?

I tried folkbear's solution, but to no avail...

More
17 years 1 month ago #981 by hexydes
Hmm, even more interesting now. SOME of my thumbnails were working, most of them not. I started thinking about why maybe 10% of my thumbnails were working, and thought to myself, "Hmm....I think that maybe 10% of my images are JPEGs, the rest are PNGs." I FTP'd in to look at the pictures, and sure enough, every one that was a JPEG was showing a thumbnail, and every one that was a PNG was missing its thumbnail.

It looks like it has something to do with PNGs. Was there something pushed out recently regarding PNGs that hosts might have updated and broke the code for SIG?

More
17 years 1 month ago #982 by mlipsitt
Replied by mlipsitt on topic Re: thumbnails not working
I too am having the problem of the thumbnails showing only red Xs, but I've tried everything in this thread and in the troubleshooting instructions for the SIG plugin, with no luck. In other words, I've done the following:

1. Ensured that the GD Library was installed on my host server
2. Ensured that the permissions for showthumb.php are set to 777
3. Reviewed my template for "XML declarations" which it did not appear to have, though I can't say for certain what I was looking for
4. Tried 4-5 other templates, including the Joomla default, just to ensure that it wasn't my template
4. Changed the permissions for the files plugin_jw_sig.php and plugin_jw_sig.xml to 755

I don't want to give up, because the rest of it works great, but I need the thumbnails and have no other paths to try.

Thanks for any suggestions provided.
Mark

More
17 years 1 month ago #983 by hexydes
Are your images in the PNG format? If so, try switching them to JPG and see if they show up. I know it isn't much of a solution, but that's what I did to fix it, and at least that would confirm an issue with the PNG format...

More
17 years 1 month ago #984 by scannon
Replied by scannon on topic Re: thumbnails not working
Anyone?

I also have tried the following:
1. Ensured that the GD Library was installed on my host server
2. Ensured that the permissions for showthumb.php are set to 777
3. Reviewed my template for "XML declarations" which it did not appear to have, though I can't say for certain what I was looking for
4. Tried 4-5 other templates, including the Joomla default, just to ensure that it wasn't my template
4. Changed the permissions for the files plugin_jw_sig.php and plugin_jw_sig.xml to 755

I am hosted at SiteGround, they have confirmed things are ok.  The slideshow and lightbox are working and showing the image when you click.  But the thumbnails aren't showing up.

I have ordered the commercial version - hoping that maybe that will resolve it. 

Thanks
Steve

More
17 years 1 month ago #985 by scannon
Replied by scannon on topic Re: thumbnails not working
All;

Ignore my previous post.  I figured out the tweak I needed.  If you are hosted on SiteGround servers, they have a solution in their forums. 

But, basically, the directory for SIG needs to have permissions set to 755.  TO test this I re-isntalled SIG and looked at showthumb.php and it had permissions of 755.  But the directory of plugin_jw_sig had 777, so I changed it to 755 and now thumbnails are working.

Ciao,
Steve

More
17 years 4 weeks ago #986 by samuel cartner
Replied by samuel cartner on topic Re: thumbnails not working
i too have this problem but i know its due to permissions, thing is myself or my host cant change the permissions without switching the site over to linux server, so i did this but moving the site caused joomla not even to load up, not even the smf forum, so i set the permissions on the showthumb.php file and switched the site over back to windows server.

thing is now iv switched it back to windows the file has lost its permissions....DOH!!!!!

is this the same in the pro version of SIG?

More
17 years 4 weeks ago #987 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: thumbnails not working
OK, a few notes for everyone...

- If the popup image opens in a new window, it means there's some js conflict with another extension in your site. So report what other extensions you have and provide some URL. Since SIG uses Slimbox (=Mootools based) if you have any jQuery based extensions it will probably conflict.

- SIG Pro uses an entirely different mechanism to create the thumbs, so 99,99% you will not face permissions issues. Check out the SIG Pro section to see what people talk about.

- When the thumbs in SIG free do not appear but popups work, it's clearly a permissions issue. The image and the showthumb.php file might need 755 or 777 to work properly and this setup entirely depends on your hosting company. If I remember correctly, Siteground needs 755. But most hosting companies will "just work".

Sorry for not getting back earlier, but you have to understand we're only 2 guys on extension development and the requests are enormous!! Thanks for your patience.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
17 years 5 days ago #988 by New Local Media
Replied by New Local Media on topic Re: thumbnails not working
scannon--
Can you post a link to the siteground thread?

What I find is 755 will work but not 777 (on SiteGround) (!!!) but still the LightBox does not work.

Oddly the whole thing did work for a while--thumbs and lightbox popup--and it works on another SG site I have.