Keyword

[FIXED] Blurry category images

More
13 years 9 months ago #74836 by BlogPlog
Replied by BlogPlog on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Apparently no one has found a solution. I simply gave up on K2's image section and load images directly into articles with JCE editor. It bypasses all of the cool resizing but the images are clear. I can also put pics anywhere I want in the article. I just use smaller images to fit no matter the column size. And by the way, this really sucks (Translated: opportunity for improvement).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 7 months ago #74837 by Leah Bartlett
Replied by Leah Bartlett on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
I am having issues with this too, the quality of the images is unacceptable. Please view the attached. Is there anyway we can edit the image processor or swap it out for something else? As for me, inserting the images via JCE is not an option for how I have my site laid out.

It seems to me that upon upload, the system is downsizing the size and then re-sizing up to fit the current settings. Anyone know where we could find the exact point it is doing that?

More
13 years 7 months ago #74838 by BlogPlog
Replied by BlogPlog on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Thanks for posting the photos Leah. It perfectly illustrates the problem. I'd love to find a solution to this also. Anyone?

Leah Bartlett said:I am having issues with this too, the quality of the images is unacceptable. Please view the attached. Is there anyway we can edit the image processor or swap it out for something else? As for me, inserting the images via JCE is not an option for how I have my site laid out.

It seems to me that upon upload, the system is downsizing the size and then re-sizing up to fit the current settings. Anyone know where we could find the exact point it is doing that?

• Todd Allen
  • Todd Allen's Avatar Topic Author
More
13 years 7 months ago #74839 by Todd Allen
Replied by Todd Allen on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Wow... nearly a year since I posted this and still no resolution. For the record, I just ended up changing my layout because the low quality images were simply unacceptable. This is quite disappointing to see the lack of support on a seemingly simple fix like this. It was easier for me to change the layout than to dig through the K2 core and try to locate the problem, even though I do have a PHP coding background a probably could have found it (eventually).

More
13 years 7 months ago #74840 by Leah Bartlett
Replied by Leah Bartlett on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Yeah, my php knowledge is minimal... I know enough to get me in trouble. I see v2.4 was released this week, but it appears nothing has been done to solve this issue.

What image processor does Simple Gallery or the Frontpage Slideshow use? Is it the same or is it different, because I use FPSS, and the quality is downgraded a little, but not nearly as bad as the K2 component. I would think the img processor would be the same since they are created by the same group? Just a thought as to maybe the direction we can go in solving this.

• Clifford Sonnentag
More
13 years 7 months ago #74841 by Clifford Sonnentag
Replied by Clifford Sonnentag on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
I think this should be a priority because the whole function of K2 depends on the look of content. At least add some manual options or something. Very disappointing to not see a fix to this I agree.

More
13 years 7 months ago #74842 by michael neese
Replied by michael neese on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Any jpg image that is re-compressed will lose quality...and setting the file quality to 100% does not mean the file is unchanged, it means the file is compressed, but high quality...the jpg's ability to retain sharpness of text is bad in the first generation, and worse for any additional compression... If a file is to be re-sized for a item or category display, start with an image that is 200% to 400% the size that you will end up with and your results will be much better.

• Todd Allen
More
13 years 7 months ago #74843 by Todd Allen
^^ What you're saying may be true, but I don't think that's the issue here. The software is clearly ignoring the global parameters. If the size set in the parameters is the same size as the image, the image should not be reprocessed unless the compression/quality settings are lower than 100%. But that clearly isn't the case because I, like others here, are uploading images that are the highest quality JPGs and are the correct/same size as the parameters but they are still being processed by whatever method K2 is utilizing.

That is poor programming. When 100% doesn't mean 100%, there is a issue that needs to be resolved.

More
13 years 7 months ago #74844 by michael neese
Replied by michael neese on topic [FIXED] Blurry category images
Again, 100% is the compression quality...the image will be compressed...the whole system is geared to enable you to reconfigure one master image to various sizes as needed for a variety of uses...to ignore that very useful concept and howl about poor programming is disrespectful and shows ignorance of the workflow development that went into this advanced system. If you know so much about programming, why haven't you devised an alternative php script to modify the k2 to suit your needs for this minor detail that seems to be misunderstood by many of the responders in this thread?
If you take a file in photoshop and "save as" a jpg, 100% is the compression quality of choice for the highest quality of jpg compression available...it does not mean "no compression" for a same size image...
And it is the same for this configuration in K2....

• Todd Allen
More
13 years 7 months ago #74845 by Todd Allen
@Michael - you're right... it's too much to ask to have some code that assumes that if ($srcWidth == $parameterWidth) && ($parameterQuality == 100) just save the file as it was uploaded and bypass the K2 compression/resizing algorithm. Some of us don't need K2 to resize our files (like most of us on this thread) but I guess I'm just asking too much here and clearly showing my ignorance but more likely my intolerance of people like yourself that offer opinions with no solutions. While your comments about compression of JPG files out of Photoshop is 100% correct, you're helping no one here fix their problem. I'm hoping that enough activity on this thread will earn a response from the K2 development team so please keep posting.