Keyword

Advanced Search

Search Results (Searched for: Joomla K2 user extra fields)

• william white
17 Sep 2010 20:29
Replied by william white on topic Varying Author Name

Varying Author Name

Category: English K2 Community

looks good, nice work

Seth Hoffman said:Hi Miltiadis,
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I followed your link and copied everything into my /templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_k2/ folder. I did need to create the com_k2 folder which I assume is normal. There was already a mod_k2login there but not a com_ folder. Anyway, inside that folder, it seemed that the tutorial expected the "default" folder and a couple of views to be in the root. The views they used as examples, generic.php, user.php etc were not in the root but in the "templates" folder. Is that ok? The "default" folder was also located in the "templates" folder.

If I want to change the way the author name is displayed across the whole site, can I not just edit the files at the components/com_k2 level? Also, just to ensure I am communicating what I want to happen, I edited my last image to add the location. It doesn't need to be linkable, just displayed. I checked out the plugin you mentioned but it didn't seem to accomplish this.

So what should I do next?

Thanks so much for your help!
Seth

Miltiadis bouchalakis said:Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2 then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by. or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-exten... and then call the user extra fields or call the user description
i know that my post is cryptic for someone that is just starting to learn k2. Read the tutorials and i will help you.
Be aware that you will need some php html and css knowledge in order to modify the template
  • Rhianon Hoffman
17 Sep 2010 18:46
Replied by Rhianon Hoffman on topic Varying Author Name

Varying Author Name

Hi Miltiadis,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

I followed your link and copied everything into my /templates/YOURTEMPLATE/html/com_k2/ folder. I did need to create the com_k2 folder which I assume is normal. There was already a mod_k2login there but not a com_ folder. Anyway, inside that folder, it seemed that the tutorial expected the "default" folder and a couple of views to be in the root. The views they used as examples, generic.php, user.php etc were not in the root but in the "templates" folder. Is that ok? The "default" folder was also located in the "templates" folder.

If I want to change the way the author name is displayed across the whole site, can I not just edit the files at the components/com_k2 level? Also, just to ensure I am communicating what I want to happen, I edited my last image to add the location. It doesn't need to be linkable, just displayed. I checked out the plugin you mentioned but it didn't seem to accomplish this.

So what should I do next?

Thanks so much for your help!
Seth

Miltiadis bouchalakis said:Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2 then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by.
or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-exten... and then call the user extra fields or call the user description
i know that my post is cryptic for someone that is just starting to learn k2. Read the tutorials and i will help you.
Be aware that you will need some php html and css knowledge in order to modify the template
  • Miltiadis bouchalakis
17 Sep 2010 17:55
Replied by Miltiadis bouchalakis on topic Varying Author Name

Varying Author Name

Hello you will need to override the template community.getk2.org/notes/Templating_in_K2
then you can create some extra fields and position them in the place of written by.
or you can install extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-extensions/12557 and then call the user extra fields or call the user description
  • V. Edmond
16 Aug 2010 16:10
No joomfish translation option! was created by V. Edmond

No joomfish translation option!

Hi,
I know this question about K2 & joomFish is a long disputed subject. I am relatively new to joomla, please forgive me.
I have set everything up so far but I can't get joomFish working for the articles, categories and the rest of the K2 items. I have read some posts about the order of the installation, and yes I made it wrong (I installed K2 first). But I have copied the core xml files:

k2_attachments.xmlk2_categories.xmlk2_extra_fields.xmlk2_items.xmlk2_tags.xmlk2_users.xml

to /administrator/components/com_joomfish/contentelements/.

But I am still not able to get the translation drop down window working (for entering preferred translation of the items).
Could someone tell me if there are element definitions still to change manually??

Regards,
vedtam
  • Craig Pearson
03 Aug 2010 19:38
Authors: Let me get this straight... was created by Craig Pearson

Authors: Let me get this straight...

So to Show an author profile, you need to:A) have a registered User to set the 'Created by' to (even if the author is just a dummy registration that's not putting the stories up)
B) NOT use the author alias filed or the author info on the articles and author link will not work (no matter how you've configured it).

Now that's fine, I can live with that but WHY if author alias IS used, does it put a link on it to go to home? Wouldn't it make more sense - If your not going to allow it to go to a profile then don't have a link on it at all?

I love K2 and all but it's these little nit picky things that grind my gears (end rant). Here's what I think is needed to make it a further outstanding CMS.

•More flexibility on the authors/author alias usage (parameter - if using alias, link to author set up but use alias name for show)
•Video - option to use main uploaded image as a video thumbnail parameter
•Video - more flexible options to "upgrade" the player or at least offer a pay for pro version that gives us the plug-ins needed
•RSS listing of the feeds created from your content with the option to 'swap' out with the likes of Feedburner (or gives us stats)
•Ability to add extra fields with a position call so they can be added individually to the template, and to show no label (say I wanted a sub heading on an article to go under the main title)
• Better SEF URL system integration (404sef and others) - in 404sef I can choose joomla content to put google News IDs on but not K2 content

These would make it a better all around system. I've waited a year to the point of believing it is usable (and now it is) and can't wiat to see what the next version brings to the table.
  • Vlastimil Vašek
20 Jul 2010 10:03
Replied by Vlastimil Vašek on topic Problem using Google maps in K2

Problem using Google maps in K2

As I could not install the K2 Map plugin from Joomla Extension repository I coded my own.
It adds extra fields in K2 backend for category, user and item and show it in frontend.
You can creade your own div element for the map, e.g. in a custom modul. Highly customizable.
Works with K2 2.2 and 2.3.
Download:K2 Google Map plugin
Demo:K2 Google Map plugin demo
  • Vlastimil Vašek
20 Jul 2010 09:45
Replied by Vlastimil Vašek on topic Google Maps Plugin for K2

Google Maps Plugin for K2

As I could not install the K2 Map plugin from Joomla Extension repository I coded my own.
It adds extra fields in K2 backend for category, user and item and show it in frontend.
You can creade your own div element for the map, e.g. in a custom modul. Highly customizable.
Works with K2 2.2 and 2.3.
Download: K2 Google Map plugin
  • bushie
09 Jul 2010 01:18
Replied by bushie on topic Front End Article Submission?

Front End Article Submission?

Fantastic Simon. Thanks very much for explaining that all so well. I now have it working on my site.

Cheers,

Ric

Simon Wells (K2 Support) said:Unfortunately, I have not finished writing up documents for this on simon.getk2.org. If anyone wishes to contribute and write a guide, then just sign up and login, as I have already assigned all registered users with item creation ability.

OK, this involves a couple of
steps, so I will start of with the basic blocks.
You will need to have some categories created so that you can assign the user groups to them.

Create User Group
Set permissions for User Group
Assign Users to the User Group
Publish a K2 Login to the site.

Thats the basics, let me elaborate a little more on each.

Create a User Group
As default, K2 ships with two user groups, Registered and Site Owner, which have a different set of privileges each.
Assign yourself to Site Owner.
If you import your Joomla users, then additional copies will be also be transferred, they will be named accordingly.

Create a new Group, give it a name.
Set the privileges you wish, these are:

Post comments No Yes
Front-end item editing No Yes
Add items No Yes
Edit own items No Yes
Edit any item No Yes
Publish items No Yes

Then you can specify which Categories and sub categories that this group can access.

Go through your users and assign them to the required user group.

If your using the default joomla login, you will need to swap it for the mod_k2_login.

Finally, check you K2 parameters.

Enable frontend editing (disabled always if Joom!Fish is installed and enabled) No Yes

Image tab on edit form Hide Show
Image gallery tab on edit form Hide Show
Video tab on edit form Hide Show
'Extra fields' tab on edit form Hide Show
Attachments tab on edit form Hide Show
K2 plugin fields on edit form Hide Show

Now, when a user goes to the front end, logs in and has the correct user level, they will see a Add a New Item link. Did you know you can change that labels via the userblock.php?

How does this work in real life?
Well, your online Car Review Magazine has just converted to K2.
You already have categories set for hatchbacks, estates, sports, convertibles, MPV's etc.
Create User Groups with the same name, helps keep it relevant and easy to identify.
Set the access such as create new item and edit own item.
Assign your content writers to the relevant group.

Thats pretty much it.

Hope that helps, feel free to comment back.

Regards,

Simon Wells
K2 Support
K2Joom
  • Simon Wells
09 Jul 2010 00:22
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Front End Article Submission?

Front End Article Submission?

Unfortunately, I have not finished writing up documents for this on simon.getk2.org.
If anyone wishes to contribute and write a guide, then just sign up and login, as I have already assigned all registered users with item creation ability.

OK, this involves a couple of
steps, so I will start of with the basic blocks.
You will need to have some categories created so that you can assign the user groups to them.

Create User Group
Set permissions for User Group
Assign Users to the User Group
Publish a K2 Login to the site.

Thats the basics, let me elaborate a little more on each.

Create a User Group
As default, K2 ships with two user groups, Registered and Site Owner, which have a different set of privileges each.
Assign yourself to Site Owner.
If you import your Joomla users, then additional copies will be also be transferred, they will be named accordingly.

Create a new Group, give it a name.
Set the privileges you wish, these are:

Post comments No Yes
Front-end item editing No Yes
Add items No Yes
Edit own items No Yes
Edit any item No Yes
Publish items No Yes

Then you can specify which Categories and sub categories that this group can access.

Go through your users and assign them to the required user group.

If your using the default joomla login, you will need to swap it for the mod_k2_login.

Finally, check you K2 parameters.

Enable frontend editing (disabled always if Joom!Fish is installed and enabled) No Yes

Image tab on edit form Hide Show
Image gallery tab on edit form Hide Show
Video tab on edit form Hide Show
'Extra fields' tab on edit form Hide Show
Attachments tab on edit form Hide Show
K2 plugin fields on edit form Hide Show

Now, when a user goes to the front end, logs in and has the correct user level, they will see a Add a New Item link. Did you know you can change that labels via the userblock.php?

How does this work in real life?
Well, your online Car Review Magazine has just converted to K2.
You already have categories set for hatchbacks, estates, sports, convertibles, MPV's etc.
Create User Groups with the same name, helps keep it relevant and easy to identify.
Set the access such as create new item and edit own item.
Assign your content writers to the relevant group.

Thats pretty much it.

Hope that helps, feel free to comment back.

Regards,

Simon Wells
K2 Support
K2Joom
  • cr-hosting
30 Jun 2010 16:53

Bug in extra fields with the WYSIWYG editor

hello,One of the new features in K2.3 is that you can add text in the " text area " of an extra field with a WYSIWYG editor. I am having an issue trying to justify the the text for a text area in K2.3. In firebug when I click the Justify button an error shows up.here is a copy:uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMNSHTMLDocument.execCommand]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: MYDOMAIN.com/new/administrator/components/com_k2/lib/nicEdit.js :: anonymous :: line 38"  data: no]Line 0Im running a freshly installed Joomla website with a Gavick coporate 2 Template.I also have:JCE Version: 1.5.7.4Joomla 1.5.18Database Version: 5.0.67-log Database Collation: utf8_general_ci PHP Version: 5.2.6 Web Server: Apache/1.3.37 Web Server to PHP interface: apache Joomla! Version: Joomla! 1.5.18 Stable [ wojmamni ama wojnaiki ] 27-May-2010 18:00 GMT User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; en-GB; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6Does anyone have a solution to this? This feautre is absolutely necesary for me !thanks!erik
  • Thor Johannes Wang
12 Jun 2010 00:46
Importing users from external database via CSV was created by Thor Johannes Wang

Importing users from external database via CSV

Hi everybody! I am quite new to Joomla! and just found out about K2!I have a problem that I can't seem to find a good solution or plugin for.
I need to be able to add users form an external database into Joomla! and K2. (CSV?)
The users have more fields than the default ones for a user in Joomla! and consequently, all new users have to be able to fill out these extra fields.

After some trial and error I was able to add new columns in jos_users and corresponding order of columns in the CSV-file. This resulted in a successful addition in the table, however the user is not to be found under User Management, and therefore cannot be used.

I have looked at various plugins and techniques, (userport, scripts etc) but can't seem to find anything suited my task. Also: will the passwords(MD5-hashed) transfer over smoothly?

Help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
  • Coptechs
09 Jun 2010 17:49

Can someone see if I'm on the right track to create a catalog of sports memorabilia?

I am a Joomla user with a moderate amount of experience (not a beginner, far from an expert) and am trying to figure out if I am on the right track. This is the first time I am using K2 and I am trying to create a catalog of sport memorabilia products.This was my plan:
Create categories using the type of product (ie: signed photo's, jersey's, bat's, glove's, etc.)

Use tags to cross-categorize by type of sport (baseball, basketball, football, etc.), team and player (so a for instance, a Derek Jeter signed photograph would be in the "photograph" category tagged with "Jeter", "Yankees" and "baseball")

This is going to be for display only, not selling on the site. Ideally I want visitors to be able to search by type of product, team, sport or player. The big question I have is will this setup give me the ability to do that?What K2 extensions might be helpful in an endeavor such as this?I don't really understand the extra fields part of the component. Do you think that it is something that would be helpful to me in this?Any assistance/guidance would be greatly appreciated.Brian
  • Simon Wells
01 Jun 2010 18:58
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Extra fields in search results

Extra fields in search results

Just a quick thought process, and I cant see why it could not be done and without a core hack.

Instead of using generic.php, it could be routed to use the item.php instead, but with these things, it would require a few hours coding to implement such a thing.
Not sure which search module your using, but the K2 search uses joomla search and that picks up K2 items and categories, so it should be possible to include a template over ride to allow search by extra field data, as its just a DB query, easy stuff ;)

I can recommend some "trusted" coders which I know can handle the k2 code, but it is worth noting that you would most likely have to cross some palms with silver.

If, there are several users that require this kind of function, then that would make it more viable.

Lets keep this open and see what we can come up with.

Regards,

Simon
K2 Support
  • Artur Neumann
19 May 2010 12:57
K2 CSV import tool was created by Artur Neumann

K2 CSV import tool

I wrote a small tool to import K2 content from a CSV file and to export K2 data to a CSV file.
www.individual-it.net/en/Joomla/

Its possible to import all fields including "extra fields", userids, images, tags, galleries, categories and attachments.

The file must have a heading row. Text delimiter: ' " ' field separator: ','
For "Multiple Select" Fields use also "," to seperate the options e.g.: "option 1, option 3"
Please check it and give me tips how to improve.

Here is user manual
If you like it please vote for it or write a review
  • GoHost4U.com
11 May 2010 10:26
Replied by GoHost4U.com on topic Global setting for comments

Global setting for comments

To be honest I would be happy to use K2 registration BUT my goal is to have an easy method to collect additional information at the registration page.

Take a look here www.communitynetworkspain.com/en/register.html

This is the sort of thing I want...Using Chronoforms makes this easy and everything works great except the fact that K2 is left out and registered users are not added to jos_k2_users table...you have to manually go in to the back end, open the new user in k2 users and save them...

solutions I would like are...

Have K2 registration expanded so I can add fields and store that extra data
or
Use the Joomla users table (jos_users.block) to restrict commenting...ie in k2 parameters you can set commenting to disabled, enabled for everyone, enabled for registered users OR ENABLED FOR REGISTERED USERS IN JOOMLA USERS TABLE

Thanks for your help

K2Joom said:Can I ask why you dont want to use the K2 registration? Using K2 Users gives you more flexibility and control.
Just trying to understand your goal.

Simon
K2 Support
  • Peter Fosenbauer
30 Apr 2010 00:44
Replied by Peter Fosenbauer on topic can we add extra fields to the user registration form?

can we add extra fields to the user registration form?

Peter Fosenbauer said:Never mind, i found it...it's the event name not the plugin name. K2 is a nice component, the more I'm surprised that not only you can't create custom fields for users, but this one seems to have less use (for me anyway) than the joomla default one. Are you considering to create something like that? I'm sure that's the reason so many people are desperately waiting for joomla 1.6, but that is still far away to be used on production sites.Custom Groups are a very nice feature, but without being able to customize the user info, seems like the groups are missing the point. Peter Fosenbauer said:Where do i find the system plugin for k2 onAfterDispatch? Sorry, I'm new to k2
  • Peter Fosenbauer
30 Apr 2010 00:40
Replied by Peter Fosenbauer on topic can we add extra fields to the user registration form?

can we add extra fields to the user registration form?

Never mind, i find it...it's the event name not the plugin name. K2 is a nice component, the more I'm surprised that not only you can't create custom fields for users, but this one seems to have less use (for me anyway) than the joomla default one. Are you considering to create something like that? I'm sure that's the reason so many people are desperately waiting for joomla 1.6, but that is still far away to be used on production sites.

Peter Fosenbauer said:Where do i find the system plugin for k2 onAfterDispatch? Sorry, I'm new to k2
  • Simon Wells
26 Apr 2010 09:07
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Am I going in the right direction?

Am I going in the right direction?

Hi Giorgio,

OK, there is a lot to cover here ;)

Looking at your screenshot, I would say that Modules A, B, C are going to be your leading, primary and secondary, these can be used on the frontpage. These items can be added to a Frontpage category, which uses its own K2 template as it will differ from all the others.
Changes will of course be needed to the php and css files to achieve this. No Modules used needed to achieve this as it just uses the content position.

Modules (D, E, F) and (H, I, J) and (K, L, M, N, O) can be done using the Tabs and Slides module from Joomlaworks or any other that supports K2. So instead of 11 modules, you now have 3

Thats leaves just Module P and G so a total of 5 modules.

I would recommend to setup in the following order, some users will of course do this differently.

Install Joomla
Install Joomla template
Install K2
Create Categories
Create some demo items.
Set Category Options
Add in some modules for structure
Create Extra Field Groups (if needed)
Create Extra Fields
Create k2 template over ride from default
Modify K2 template over ride
Setup User groups

Finally you say "that is, for example, for a position on the frontpage to
show 2 article columns, then 4, then etc. is not possible?, am I going
to need a position for each column?, "
Within any category you can specify the number of leading items and columns, primary and columns, secondary and column. So you could have Leading as 1 column, Primary as two columns and Secondary as two columns.
If you have sub categories you can also have those displayed as well, or limit it to just the parent category by using the catalogue mode.

Hope that helps and is a good start point for you.

Simon
K2 Support
  • Ramesh Elamathi
16 Apr 2010 22:20
K2 News Ticker - News scroller for K2 was created by Ramesh Elamathi

K2 News Ticker - News scroller for K2

Hello K2 Community,

K2 News Ticker V2 is released. We have received numerous requests from Joomla/K2 users to enhance the News Ticker and bring in new features. Now the enhanced News Ticker supports a number of K2 features including the Extra Fields and Comments.

K2 News Ticker now requires Mootools 1.2. All the Joomla 1.5.20+ versions have Mootools upgrade plugin. Just turn this plugin on and install the News ticker module. Set up the width, height and fill in the remaining params. All the params are self-explanatory. In a few minutes, you can have beautiful news ticker running in your website.

Note: The module requires Mootools 1.2 to work. So you have to upgrade. Please test your Joomla installation with Mootools upgrade plugin before you buy this module.

Module Features
- Mootools 1.2 based

- Supports almost all K2 features including extra-fields and comments counter

- User can either fetch items from a category and fetch single items from K2

- Provides 14 different animations

- Options to control speed and duration of the effects

-  Play / Pause controls

- You can use this also as an image scroller

- MVC structure

- Compatible with IE 7+, Firefox, Chrome and all modern browsers and many more...

Demo | Download
  • mike cartwright
07 Apr 2010 13:56
Replied by mike cartwright on topic K2 as a catalog - How?

K2 as a catalog - How?

Thanks for the reply! I don't get using fields as product specifications. What is the benefit of that over just text? I dont mind doing templating, I have read two different articles describing where to put the templates so that K2 finds them as options.

I have been under the impression that K2 gives more layout options than does regular Joomla. Apart from creating new templates for my layouts, I am completely missing this. I had thought (perhaps incorrectly) that K2 provides layout features including easy inclusion of modules into the articles (items).

I get your response. The problem may be that I was under the impression that K2 was more flexible than it is.

scyllar said:hi mike, i am currently working on a catalog using k2, and am willing to give some help :)
why k2 natively better for a catalog?
K2 allows unlimited subcategories...
k2 allows tags... (which in a catalog means cross category filtering capability)
k2 allows unlimited extra fields as your product specifications...
k2 allows frontend adding / editing / pulishing items...
k2 allows template overriding...
k2 allows user groups with different permissions...
k2 also allows social sharing, comment...

how to start:
well this question is complicated, but basically you start with a new category + extra fields group associated, then put some products (items) in this category, but i belive the most important part is templating. Eventually you want to achieve a nice and neat visual effect, so you must do template overriding, CSS work, especially when you want to disable / remove some functions.

I have been working on my catalog for over 2 weeks with k2, and not yet finished. But if you think I could help you anyway, feel free to post here :)
Displaying 201 - 220 out of 248 results.