Keyword

Videos won't play properly until the poster image has been generated.

• Andy Wilson
  • Andy Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #180627 by Andy Wilson
I have a problem playing locally hosted videos that have no physical .jpg poster images on my Joomla 4 test site. It is quite bad on PCs and even worse on mobile phones and tablets. Here is an example of two identical locally hosted videos - one has a .jpg poster file and the other doesn't - wilsonpro.co.uk/index.php/videos. A step-by-step description is on one of the videos and I have written an overview as follows.This locally hosted video doesn't have an actual .jpg poster image. The poster image is automatically generated each time you go to this page or the page is refreshed. The poster generation can take up to 30 seconds and sometimes when refreshing the page, the page refresh itself takes even longer. You can still play the video before the poster image is displayed but it hesitates for several seconds once the Play button has been pressed - it should start playing instantly. If you wait for the poster image to be generated and then press the Play button, the video does start playing instantly.If the video has a physical .jpg poster image the problem goes away.

Other info:
I am using a new Test Joomla 4.2.6 website with PHP 8.2.
There was no problem with the previous Joomla 3.x site and PHP 7.x

Questions:
1) Are there any special or optional PHP 8.2 extensions that need to be turned on to fix this?
2) Is there an issue with AllVideos auto-generating poster images with PHP 8.2? The most recent update to the excellent AllVideos plugin, according to their website, was before PHP 8.0 was released so I have to ask the question.

I would be grateful for any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Andy Wilson
Last edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Andy Wilson. Reason: updated information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy Wilson
More
1 year 3 months ago #180629 by Andy Wilson
I'd really like to know if anybody else is experiencing these issues, or is it just me? The problems I am experiencing are really stressing me, so please tell me if you are experiencing them on this video wilsonpro.co.uk/index.php/videos/new-years-eve-party-1

Because this issue is so intermittent I can't decide if it is an AlVideos issue or something else.

Thanks,

Andy Wilson

More
1 year 3 months ago #180658 by JoomlaWorks
Seems fine to me. The poster image is loaded pretty fast given it's rendered using the Canvas API by preloading the first 3 secs. So if you see longer delays than say one or half a sec overall, they are most likely network related, which means the video is slow to load for you, but not necessarily everyone else.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Andy Wilson
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #180739 by Andy Wilson
Thank you, Fotis,

All the videos uploaded to my website have spaces in the file names between the words, e.g. "my holiday.mp4" Might this be causing my problem, Fotis? If so, would editing the file name between the {mp4} tags to substitute %20 in place of the spaces, eg. {mp4}my%20holiday.mp4{/mp4}
potentially fix the issue?

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks,

Andy Wilson
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by Andy Wilson.

More
1 year 2 months ago #180740 by JoomlaWorks
Like I said, things seem fine to me. It's most likely network related for you. Of course you can try the change if you like to verify for you as well, but like I said, I doubt you'll see any difference.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
2 months 9 hours ago - 1 month 4 weeks ago #181523 by dhruve661
The poster image is automatically generated each time you go to this page or the page is refreshed. The poster generation can take up to 30 seconds and sometimes when refreshing the page, the page refresh itself takes even longer. You can still play the video before the poster image is displayed but it hesitates for several seconds once the Play button has been pressed - it should start playing instantly. If you wait for the poster image to be generated and then press the Play button, the video does start playing
Last edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by dhruve661.