Keyword

ScribeFire and K2

• Tex Long
  • Tex Long's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #69402 by Tex Long
ScribeFire and K2 was created by Tex Long
I suspect that many who have been using FireFox and blogging for awhile - whether in WordPress, Blogger/Blogspot or sundry other platforms - have had some experience with ScribeFire, an add-on to FireFox that combines an interface into a small editor with the ability to use xmlrpc to upload what you write.

Fairly recently, a bit of code to extend this facility to Joomla Articles has been floating around. It works, almost... there are a couple of gripes that I have with it, but it's close, dammit, really close.

My question is this: is there any intent to create an interface with xmlrpc for K2 Items so the same facility will be available with ScribeFire-to-K2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tex Long
  • Tex Long's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #69403 by Tex Long
Replied by Tex Long on topic ScribeFire and K2
Here's what "grayhead" wrote:

I just set up ScribeFire to let me post to this site - and I spent a very frustrating half-hour because I missed a vital step . . .

ScribeFire is a FireFox extension that allows you to post to your web-site directly from your browser. ScribeFire has built in support for several popular blogging platforms but does not directly support Joomla.
This has been solved by a plug-in written by Justo DeRiviera - his instructions are here but they miss that vital step so I thought I'd re-write them to remind myself how not to waste so much time with my next website.

1. In your Joomla site admin go to GlobalConfiguration | System. In the System Settings box set 'Enable Web Services' to 'Yes'.
2. Download and install Justo's MetaWeb Joomla plugin
3. Download and install the RSD Joomla plugin
4. Go to the PlugIn manager and enable both plugins, at the same time check that the Blogger PlugIn is disabled - Justo says this is being fixed in Joomla but better safe than sorry.
5. Install the ScribeFire extension in FireFox and re-start FireFox to enable it.
6. Click the little yellow ScribeFire icon at the bottom left of the window and click past the advertising until you get to a page that will allow you to add a new blog.
7. Enter the url of your site home page - greyhead.net here.
8. Enter a valid username and password and hopefully autoconfiguration will plug you in.
9. If autoconfig doesn't work then you can set the Type of blog to MetaWeblog; and the XML-RPC url to example.com/xmlrpc/index.php

That's it, happy posting

====================================================================

Here are a few things not working in metaweb, per longtex:
1. The account doesn't seem to be able to get access unless you're a superadmin (haven't tested non-"admin" admins, either, but I'll add on here when I get a chance)
2. If the account is "logged in" elsewhere (e.g. via browser at this or some other computer) you can't logion to upload
3. Articles are posted uncategorized, even though the selection in scribefire IS the section/category

More
14 years 5 months ago #69404 by Daniel Westerdale
Replied by Daniel Westerdale on topic ScribeFire and K2
Hi

I will shortly be trying this out myself.. once I have upgrade Joomla to 1.5.15 (from .14) I just wondered if the above instructions referr to posting from ScribeFire to Joomla and, or ScribeFire to Joomla/K2? If so is the destinatation URL in each case documented anywhere.

More
14 years 4 months ago #69405 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic ScribeFire and K2
There are a couple of other threads in this forum asking for the same thing:

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/desktop-client-blogging

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/support-for-xmlrpc

If anyone can find a way to get XML-RPC working with K2, please post in one of these threads. And even better if you guys could communicate a little and merge your threads so that we get all information in one place :-)