Keyword

Settings Groups, or Bulk Settings Changes

• Jimmy Stuart
  • Jimmy Stuart's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #69641 by Jimmy Stuart
Settings Groups, or Bulk Settings Changes was created by Jimmy Stuart
First off, I think you guys have done an excellent job creating a very useful component. The nested categories alone is worth it's weight in gold. I do have one feature request to make make assuming it hasn't already been made (searched, but didn't find anything).

I would like to suggest that with vast amount of settings you have for the categories and the various views (a good thing), there really needs to be a way to either create "Settings Groups" or be able to change settings on multiple categories at once.

These "Settings Groups" would basically allow you to create a set of category settings and then be able to assign a category to one of these groups - similar to the extra field groups. Or if it would be more simple, just have a function that did a one-time push of the category settings to the selected categories.

This way if you have a large amount of categories, you can make a wholesale design change to the site very easily. Right now, say I have 15 top level categories (no items) and 30 sub-categories (each with items). If I decide that on say 20 of the categories I want to hide the author's name, then I have to go edit the settings on 20 individual categories.

The other benefit would be when creating new categories, if I'm using a very specific set of settings to control the site layout, I have set the entire list each and every time, and usually it takes 2 or 3 tries before I get everything correct. With a settings group, or a one-time push, this could be accomplished much faster.

Thanks again for a great component.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.