Keyword

Item in more than one category

• Terry Collins
  • Terry Collins's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #69901 by Terry Collins
Item in more than one category was created by Terry Collins
Can an item be in more that one category... does anybody know?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69902 by Johann Scheving
Replied by Johann Scheving on topic Item in more than one category
Same Question. This is very important issue for me. Does anyone know? If not is this expected in future versions?

More
14 years 8 months ago #69903 by Tom Kraft Design
Replied by Tom Kraft Design on topic Item in more than one category
I have just started playing with K2 yesterday and there does not seem to be a way to do what you are asking using categories. But, with that being said, take a look at the tagging function.

This works like Taxonomy in Drupal. You can tag your content items with numerous tags and create menu items to those tags. Very powerful. For instance . . .
Item >>> Tag >>> Tag
A >>> tag1 >>> tag2
B >>> tag1 >>> tag3
C >>> tag1 >>> tag2

Create a menu that points to tag1 and K2 will display items A, B & C. Menu with tag2 displays A & C. Menu with tag3 displays only item B.

Lots of possibilities with this. Hope it does what you desire.

Tom

• Terry Collins
  • Terry Collins's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #69904 by Terry Collins
Replied by Terry Collins on topic Item in more than one category
Indeed this is one option, but I would like a drop down list of tags for users to select from like the categories drop down.

Tom Kraft said:I have just started playing with K2 yesterday and there does not seem to be a way to do what you are asking using categories. But, with that being said, take a look at the tagging function.
This works like Taxonomy in Drupal. You can tag your content items with numerous tags and create menu items to those tags. Very powerful. For instance . . .
Item >>> Tag >>> Tag
A >>> tag1 >>> tag2
B >>> tag1 >>> tag3
C >>> tag1 >>> tag2

Create a menu that points to tag1 and K2 will display items A, B & C. Menu with tag2 displays A & C. Menu with tag3 displays only item B.

Tom

More
14 years 8 months ago #69905 by Tom Kraft Design
Replied by Tom Kraft Design on topic Item in more than one category
Do you *now* have a way to make a drop down list of categories in Joomla core? Without K2?

I wonder if you can create a drop down of menu items?

I may have time to look into that possibility later this week. Two projects on the table now.

More
14 years 5 months ago #69906 by PapakiGr
Replied by PapakiGr on topic Item in more than one category
Hello, any idea how to make the ordering when using the menu from tags? Also some configuration on what it shouls show (intro text instead of full text)?

Tom Kraft said:I have just started playing with K2 yesterday and there does not seem to be a way to do what you are asking using categories. But, with that being said, take a look at the tagging function.
Item >>> Tag >>> Tag
A >>> tag1 >>> tag2
B >>> tag1 >>> tag3
C >>> tag1 >>> tag2

Tom

More
14 years 5 months ago #69907 by Peter Haupt
Replied by Peter Haupt on topic Item in more than one category
Hi,

@configuration: copy folder "Joomla/components/com_k2/templates" into "Joomla/templates/your template/html/com_k2" customize the file "generic.php";

not sure about ordering! Suppose somwhere in the parameters-settings. Working with K2 now since two days.

Constantinos Griponisiotis said:Hello, any idea how to make the ordering when using the menu from tags? Also some configuration on what it shouls show (intro text instead of full text)?Tom Kraft said:I have just started playing with K2 yesterday and there does not seem to be a way to do what you are asking using categories. But, with that being said, take a look at the tagging function.This works like Taxonomy in Drupal. You can tag your content items with numerous tags and create menu items to those tags. Very powerful. For instance . . .Item >>> Tag >>> TagA >>> tag1 >>> tag2B >>> tag1 >>> tag3C >>> tag1 >>> tag2Create a menu that points to tag1 and K2 will display items A, B & C. Menu with tag2 displays A & C. Menu with tag3 displays only item B.Lots of possibilities with this. Hope it does what you desire.Tom

More
14 years 5 months ago #69908 by PapakiGr
Replied by PapakiGr on topic Item in more than one category
What should i customize the file "generic.php"?

thanks!

Peter Haupt said:Hi,
@configuration: copy folder "Joomla/components/com_k2/templates" into "Joomla/templates/your template/html/com_k2" customize the file "generic.php";

not sure about ordering! Suppose somwhere in the parameters-settings. Working with K2 now since two days.

Constantinos Griponisiotis said:Hello, any idea how to make the ordering when using the menu from tags? Also some configuration on what it shouls show (intro text instead of full text)?Tom Kraft said:I have just started playing with K2 yesterday and there does not seem to be a way to do what you are asking using categories. But, with that being said, take a look at the tagging function.This works like Taxonomy in Drupal. You can tag your content items with numerous tags and create menu items to those tags. Very powerful. For instance . . .Item >>> Tag >>> TagA >>> tag1 >>> tag2B >>> tag1 >>> tag3C >>> tag1 >>> tag2Create a menu that points to tag1 and K2 will display items A, B & C. Menu with tag2 displays A & C. Menu with tag3 displays only item B.Lots of possibilities with this. Hope it does what you desire.Tom