Keyword

How to start? Where to start? Where are the instructions? Where is the documentation?

• John E. Thomas
  • John E. Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #72331 by John E. Thomas
Newbie here wondering if there is any documentation on it's way for those of us unable to fly blind.

I need a blog solution and all the buzz points to K2 but without any documentation it's a trial and error solution that could well be a recipe for disaster.

help...anyone?

Thanks in advance...

john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #72332 by K T Upadhyaya
Hi John..

K2 is almost a replacement for Joomla articles.. So you will have to start as follows.. :

1. On your component menu - Go to the K2 component.

2. You will see a Dashboard with lots of Options like "Add New Items", "Items", "Categories" and so on.

3. Either publish some new items or categories or import your existing articles and categories using the button provided on top right corner.

4. Go to any of the menu items where you would like to publish the content

5. Start editing that menu item, and in that "Change type" ...select K2 - Item or Category listing. And give all the parameters for the same - like which category or item you want to display.. How many articles etc.

6. Once done, save and then view your page.. You should see the things working..

7. Experiment.. With all the Great options available.. for category display and item display..

8. Should you get stuck.. Come back to this place.. And Seek help.. Some one will respond.. (I will try to, if I can.. but I am a novice myself.. Trying to figure out a few things..:D )

Hope this helps..

Regards

K T

More
14 years 6 months ago #72333 by Roland Wampers
Yes, K2 is fairly new and the guys are focusing on the solution rather than the wrappings.
Applying K2 is rather hassle free. And with all things related to this fab CMS, you are expected to do some testing. Once you do that, you'll get the expected AHA.

In my experience, the BEST way to get your first impression "aha"-feeling, is to enable K2 on a website that already has some content.
This is what I did:
- install K2 v2.1 (it wont take you longer than just a few minutes; the plugins are auto-enabled, so you're up and running upon installation)
- import your articles - there is an import-button (note that there is NO dependency between articles and K2 items, once imported they are to be concidered as separate content, but it does a great job on illustrating you how "cool" and feature rich K2 is compared to a standard Joomla1.5 setup)
- now you have a K2 sample setup

The back end shows you what it does with imported articles and categories; you are ready to add some enhanced content features.
The front end shows you its feature rich display once u added a menu item with K2 content. To do so go to menus -> your menu -> new -> K2. Remember K2 is seperate content (in this case, a copy of your articles).
If you are planning to use K2 as your tool, you are expected to manage your content from K2 (menu->components->K2) and NOT from the default article management of joomla 1.5x.

So, as of now, your first "aha" should appear on your face: yes K2 and traditional joomla 1.5 content can be combined just fine.

Lay-out:
K2 comes with a default css, but you'll notice that you'll have some work getting it nicely displayed in your template.
If you are not a developer nor css-savvy, it is advised to fetch a K2 enabled template. Rockettheme.com and Joomlapraise.com have high quality ones.