Keyword

Getting rid of modules displaaying on Item/article page...

• Francisco Ferreira
  • Francisco Ferreira's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #72657 by Francisco Ferreira
Hi!

I'm doing sort of a newspaper with joomla.

So I've created a K2 category for each subject (Health; Tech, etc...).

I've asigned (via menu items) a lot of modules to each cathegory page in order to display the category's articles in a Newspaper headline style (I want it to look very similar to the RT's SolarSentinel frontpage).

I now wanted that each the subsequent article page would only display one or two of the parent category's modules, whenever the reader "clicks" a news/item header, within each parent category page.

I cannot seem to do that, because as modules are asigned to the article's parent category via the menu items, the article page always exibits all it's parent category modules!

I'm aware that this is not a k2 problem. This is a consequence from the fact that joomla asigns modules display via menu items. But I really hoped that K2 would bring an alternative to this limitation.

Please, tell me Im right. Give me some alternative, so that my item/article pages can dispaly diferent modules that their parent category's page...

Thanks

Francis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 4 months ago #72658 by Different Color
I'm kind of having a similar problem.... and I also have a news site. www.villagechronicles.net

Depending on where you are in the site, when you click on the CONTENT MODULE articles or Items in the Category view, it takes you to www.mysite.com/component/k2/item.... which means NONE of my site modules designated to show up on news pages show up!

For instance - clicking on a recent news article in the content_module on the home page takes you to that article, with no specified modules showing up because its not mapped to its proper K2 category in the url.

NO NEWS MODULES --> www.villagechronicles.net/component/k2/item/95-look-alike-guns-a-no-no?

NEWS MODULES APPEAR --> www.villagechronicles.net/the-news/item/95-look-alike-guns-a-no-no?

But if you click on recent news items from WITHIN "the-news" menu items, then it maps you to the right place and that same article will have the right modules.

I don't know if that makes sense... but as you've got a similar issue (control of module appearance with k2 items), maybe you've found some solution?

Martha

• Francisco Ferreira
More
14 years 4 months ago #72659 by Francisco Ferreira
Replied by Francisco Ferreira on topic Getting rid of modules displaaying on Item/article page...
Hello Martha,

Nice website by the way...

I've found a solution. But not with k2. I'm now using no cck component whatsoever on this webpage of mine.

I remember it was something like creating fake categories... It solved my problem (apparently). I'm now starting to work with my website again so, I have to remember what I did. As soon as I remember it I'll get back at you...

Best

Francis

• Different Color
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 4 months ago #72660 by Different Color
It's funny you dropped K2 and I just migrated all my news items TO K2 from joomla articles. I hope it wasn't a mistake! There are so many things I really like about K2 for the newspaper like the image galleries and videos and ease of adding articles for my writers. But of course, there are drawbacks.

martha

Francisco Décio said:Hello Martha,
Nice website by the way...

I've found a solution. But not with k2. I'm now using no cck component whatsoever on this webpage of mine.

I remember it was something like creating fake categories... It solved my problem (apparently). I'm now starting to work with my website again so, I have to remember what I did. As soon as I remember it I'll get back at you...

Best

Francis

• Francisco Ferreira
More
14 years 4 months ago #72661 by Francisco Ferreira
Replied by Francisco Ferreira on topic Getting rid of modules displaaying on Item/article page...
Don't get me wrong. I'm using K2 on other websites... like www.aleximobiliaria.com .

The website I've quit k2 is www.diariocientifico.es . I'm still developing it...Maybe I will regret me quiting...Let's hope not ;-)...

Besides the problem with displayed modules come from joomla itself. Maybe you can use my solution with k2 also. I just need to remerber it ;-)... I promise I will, as soon as I get back to diariocientifico's development..

Have an Happy new year...

Francis