Keyword

When does K2 make sense?

• Edward Omagbemi
  • Edward Omagbemi's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #74784 by Edward Omagbemi
When does K2 make sense? was created by Edward Omagbemi
I know this sounds stupid but I am still trying to figure out why i should use a CMS inside a CMS. Maybe this question arises because of a missing documentation( I am a reader, not a tryer or player). My fear is that I limit my Joomla power because other Joomla extensions won't work in K2.

Just to make this question a bit more precise: Why not just install superblogger for blogs and something like Virtuemart or any other catalogue extension for catalogues.

The only reason I can see is to create content templates. I like this but I can't find any documentation on how to create templates. I am currently under the impression that I might be better off to create JCE buttons for this purpose.

Any form of feedback is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Edward

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #74785 by padlets
Replied by padlets on topic When does K2 make sense?
Joomla is CMS and K2 is CCC and its not the same, the Joomla article system is very limited but K2 offer much more.

• Edward Omagbemi
More
14 years 6 months ago #74786 by Edward Omagbemi
Replied by Edward Omagbemi on topic When does K2 make sense?
Forgive me but what is the difference between CMS and CCC? I look at the parameters of K2 and it reminds me nearly 100% of the Joomla parameters.
I understand the issue with many sub-categories but the rest can be achieved with good existing extensions.

For me I can see the ability of templating content so that all design code is put into the background. I can't find any good documentation to read here. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Edward

padlets said:Joomla is CMS and K2 is CCC and its not the same, the Joomla article system is very limited but K2 offer much more.

• Edward Omagbemi
More
14 years 6 months ago #74787 by Edward Omagbemi
Hi Roman,

I played with K2 today and realised where the difference for me is. I am now thinking of using K2 to jump from 1.0 to 1.5.

The only thing that still bugs me is that it is a component and I fear that I gain some features but loose a lot by not being able to use other extensions. Just for example the fact that I would like to use Disqus for the commenting and I would like to ping blogs and ...
Then I fear that I will have unpleasant nasty issues with different updates between Joomla and K2.

Is there any type of plugin that can't be used with K2? Is there any experience with the compatibility of Joomla and K2?

Cheers,
Edward

Roman said:OK, You answered your question in your first post. You can
-use Virtuemart for catalogue
-use Superblogger for blog
-use Comments component for comments
-use Rating component for rating
-Break your brain with "How to create sub-sub-categories for content"
-smth else I forgot

OR

You can use K2.
I've made my choice.

More
14 years 6 months ago #74788 by Jiliko.net
Replied by Jiliko.net on topic When does K2 make sense?
Hi,

I'm using K2 on different client websites and still have not found any incompatibility problem with other extensions even those not developed by JW.

However, i can tell you that virtuemart is still making me crazy when installed with other extensions.

Concerning the use of plugin, i think k2 is actually the best cck to work with.

Edward Omagbemi said:Hi Roman,
I played with K2 today and realised where the difference for me is. I am now thinking of using K2 to jump from 1.0 to 1.5.

The only thing that still bugs me is that it is a component and I fear that I gain some features but loose a lot by not being able to use other extensions. Just for example the fact that I would like to use Disqus for the commenting and I would like to ping blogs and ...
Then I fear that I will have unpleasant nasty issues with different updates between Joomla and K2.

Is there any type of plugin that can't be used with K2? Is there any experience with the compatibility of Joomla and K2?

Cheers,
Edward

Roman said:OK, You answered your question in your first post. You can -use Virtuemart for catalogue
-use Superblogger for blog
-smth else I forgot

OR

You can use K2.
I've made my choice.

• Edward Omagbemi
More
14 years 6 months ago #74789 by Edward Omagbemi
Thanks for this Olivier,

How do you find the level of expertise needed to work with K2. I am a bit put off today by the level of newbie support and documentation. I just read three pages of questions and didn't find very good answers.

Am I correct when saying that K2 is at the moment more for the professional with good php and html knowledge?

I know I am a bit like a turkey at the moment but I have to decide now what platform to use for the future. My main benefit for K2 is templated content. Yet I am not confident enough to template myself in php. Then I discovered that I can also template by using JCE extended and/or Easytemplate. This I can because my knowledge of html is okay enough.

Thanks so far for all the replies. I will now go through some questions and answer them with what I found out yesterday.

Cheers,
Edward

Olivier Nolbert said:Hi,
I'm using K2 on different client websites and still have not found any incompatibility problem with other extensions even those not developed by JW.

However, i can tell you that virtuemart is still making me crazy when installed with other extensions.

Concerning the use of plugin, i think k2 is actually the best cck to work with.

Edward Omagbemi said:Hi Roman, I played with K2 today and realised where the difference for me is. I am now thinking of using K2 to jump from 1.0 to 1.5.

Cheers,
Edward

Roman said:OK, You answered your question in your first post. You can -use Virtuemart for catalogue -use Superblogger for blog
-smth else I forgot

OR

You can use K2.
I've made my choice.