Keyword

Translation and templating with/without Joomfish

• rashmani
  • rashmani's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #75198 by rashmani
Hi there,

first post after using K2 for a week or so.
I'm building a magazine website, online in a week (URL in my profile). The magazine is in Italian.
Steps:
- instaled Joomla 1.5 (default language and sample data in Italian)
- installed a few modules/plugins
- installed K2 (without Joomfish, so I received the usual warning about K2 language fles not being copied)
- created magazine structure (categories and tags) and K2 content
- created a new K2 template, as explained in the Documentation tutorial
- translated my newly created template to Italian
So far, so good.

Now, in my K2 pages and contents everything was translated except for "Written by", beside author's name. Code to translate it wasn't in any file inside my new template folder.
I figured out this comes from K2 language file (editing strings 'WRITTEN BY', WRITTEN BY MALE' and 'WRITTEN BY FEMALE' gave a quick&dirty solution) and that I was missing the Italian version of K2 language file(s) because of Joomfish not being present at K2 install time.

My question is: what is the right way of solving this (small) issue?
What if I install Joomfish and then I re-install K2, get language files for Italian and edit them? Will my K2 settings, items, tags and all the rest be reset to defaults by re-installing K2?

Edit: after posting this (blamy) I've also tried Italian translated backend file from the translation forum, without success (I get 'WRITTEN_BY' on my pages, I presume this has to do with Joomfish missing... or am I wrong?). End edit.

Also, it sounded me akward that I could template everything for my K2 content *except* that "written by" string... even if I may think of why this was implemented this way (sorry, being quite an occasional Joomla and a totally-new K2 user, I can't suggest a better solution...)

Apart for this, I took me a few hours playing with K2 to figure out how cool, functional and easy this module works! Also, the video presentation shed lights on K2!
Thanks!

rashmani

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.