Keyword

Desktop Client Blogging Ability?

• Ron Horsley
  • Ron Horsley's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #76639 by Ron Horsley
Desktop Client Blogging Ability? was created by Ron Horsley
Sorry if this is already answered, but I've done numerous forum searches and Googles for every combination of "desktop client," "K2 desktop client," etc. that I could think of with no response apparently fitting.

My office is now putting up a design blog on our company site and I'm going to be a regular contributor. We've installed a Joomla setup and of course K2 is the setup we're using to post the blog entries. We're a primarily Mac office with one or two PC stations as well.

I have in the past used Movable Type and now WordPress for my own personal blogs, with Ecto as my Mac blogging desktop client of choice. A really great feature of all of these is the ability to not have to log onto the online console to post/edit my new content. Especially now for these company blog entries, where I'll need to be able to write something on-the-fly between active projects and post without messing around online more than the minimum needed (ironically we're a website design company, so my online time has to be mostly dedicated to multiple browser windows of all types to test, diagnose and experiment with our work, and it can be very hectic to manage a cluttered desktop already).

Does K2 have the ability to be posted to externally by a compatible desktop client, like other blogging platforms can be? Does it use the same setup as some pre-existing system i.e. Blogger, Atom, etc.? If so, what are the setup instructions for creating my user account and access on my desktop client?

If the feature isn't available, that'd be a real shame, and a serious obstacle to my regularly using the system for this, especially when compared to other blogging systems out there that have long had this capability.

Thanks for any help/info you folks can provide. Happy Holidays!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #76640 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Desktop Client Blogging Ability?
There is a way to do this for a standard Joomla installation. I am not sure if it works for Joomla. The protocol for it is called XML-RPC and you can find another request for it in this thread:

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/support-for-xmlrpc

If you want some more information about XML-RPC for Joomla, take a look at this thread:

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?t=262894

I agree with you that support for XML-RPC in K2 would make it easier for a lot of people to submit articles. Not only on Mac, but there are desktop blogging clients on Mac, Windows and Linux alike.

More
14 years 3 months ago #76641 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Desktop Client Blogging Ability?
There is a way to do this for a standard Joomla installation. I am not sure if it works for Joomla. The protocol for it is called XML-RPC and you can find another request for it in this thread:

If you want some more information about XML-RPC for Joomla, take a look at this thread:

I agree with you that support for XML-RPC in K2 would make it easier for a lot of people to submit articles. Not only on Mac, but there are desktop blogging clients on Mac, Windows and Linux alike.

Also, check this thread:

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/scribefire-and-k2

More
14 years 3 months ago #76642 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Desktop Client Blogging Ability?
I have been using the Flock browser for a few years now and that comes with a built in blogger utility that allows you to post directly to Wordpress, blogger, xanga, typepad etc or your own hosted account.

I did have this working once before and have just tried again but could not get connected and would need a bit more time to look in to it.

Not only do you need to enable Web Services in the Global Config, but also the XML-RPC - Joomla Plugin too.

Svein Wisnaes said:There is a way to do this for a standard Joomla installation. I am not sure if it works for Joomla. The protocol for it is called XML-RPC and you can find another request for it in this thread:

Also, check this thread:

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/scribefire-and-k2

More
14 years 3 months ago #76643 by Brett Adkins
Replied by Brett Adkins on topic Desktop Client Blogging Ability?
I have been using Microsoft Live Writer & XML-RPC with success - not sure about mac compatibility...

• Ron Horsley
  • Ron Horsley's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 1 month ago #76644 by Ron Horsley
Replied by Ron Horsley on topic Desktop Client Blogging Ability?
Appreciate the advice, although again it seems kind of silly to have such an otherwise-robust blogging platform that doesn't already have this built-in as a basically 'clickable' option. In WordPress all I have to do is make sure to enable XML-RPC capability and boom, there it is. If I have to go to all this additional configuration just to have basic offline desktop client posting ability when others out there have long-since had it in...well, that's disappointing. Especially since this is my boss' setup, and while I can recommend it to him that's not the same as having it done. And I can't exactly do it on my own initiative since I don't have all the access information for that part of our site. If it's lacking such a basic and useful function, it kinda makes me gun-shy to go the trouble and setup of trying K2 or recommending it for anyone else.

Ah well. I guess I'll post as bare-minimum as the job asks of me to the work site, and save most of my design and other remarks for my own blogs on WordPress. It's a shame, but since there's stuff like corePHP out there to bridge WP to Joomla I guess I won't really miss anything. Thanks again.