Keyword

SubCategory Image Choice

• Bob Levy
  • Bob Levy's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #76875 by Bob Levy
SubCategory Image Choice was created by Bob Levy
Hello, I want to have a different image for each subcategory. For example, if my category is fruit, for the apple sub-category I want to show an apple rather than the default folder image, and for the banana category, an image of a banana. A simple request I'm sure, but I just can't quite find how to do this.

Thanks for your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #76876 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic SubCategory Image Choice
This can be done already in v2.2

For each category you create, even if it becomes a sub category, you can add an image to it which can be different to the other categories. Take a look here as an example.
You can even specify that the image is "small", "medium", "large" etc per category and even per item, provided you do use the Inherit parameter options from category.

• Bob Levy
More
14 years 4 months ago #76877 by Bob Levy
Replied by Bob Levy on topic SubCategory Image Choice
Thanks Simon.

I see all the image size info you reference.
However, I don't see where I can add that new graphic (to replace the default folder graphic). Are you referring to the tinymce insert a graphic? I tried that, but still had the default folder graphic show up too.

Sorry for being so thick about this!

Thanks, Bob

More
14 years 4 months ago #76878 by Simon Wells
Take a look at this image.

Bob Levy said:Thanks Simon.
I see all the image size info you reference.
However, I don't see where I can add that new graphic (to replace the default folder graphic). Are you referring to the tinymce insert a graphic? I tried that, but still had the default folder graphic show up too.

Sorry for being so thick about this!

Thanks, Bob

More
14 years 4 months ago #76879 by Magnus Ehinger
Replied by Magnus Ehinger on topic SubCategory Image Choice
Many thanks for your reply; I had exactly the same problem as Bob. I now have this related problem, though: I can't add any image to the specific items in each category. It should be done in the "Image" tab when editing an item, but when I try to save the image, nothing happens.

I think this has to do with the permissions on my FTP server. Could you indicate where the item images are saved, so I can check the permissions?

Cheers,

Magnus

More
14 years 4 months ago #76880 by Simon Wells
Hi Magnus,

Take a look in the /media/k2 folders which contains folders for category and item images.

Magnus Ehinger said:Many thanks for your reply; I had exactly the same problem as Bob. I now have this related problem, though: I can't add any image to the specific items in each category. It should be done in the "Image" tab when editing an item, but when I try to save the image, nothing happens.
I think this has to do with the permissions on my FTP server. Could you indicate where the item images are saved, so I can check the permissions?

Cheers,

Magnus

More
14 years 4 months ago #76881 by Magnus Ehinger
Replied by Magnus Ehinger on topic SubCategory Image Choice
OK, thanks!

This was unfortunately not enough for publishing... These are the steps I've taken to publish an image together with an item:

Edit Item, tab image
Browse to an image to upload
Click "Save" (or "Apply")

K2 replies, "Changes to Item saved", but on the image tab, there is no image, and on the corresponding web page, there is none, too.

I checked these settings:

FTP account and password OK (Joomla general settings)
Item view options:
* Image > Show
* Image Caption > Show
* Image Credits > Show

What have I missed here?

Cheers,

/Magnus

More
14 years 4 months ago #76882 by Simon Wells
Hi Magnus, Would need to log in to your admin to check. send me a PM

Magnus Ehinger said:OK, thanks!
This was unfortunately not enough for publishing... These are the steps I've taken to publish an image together with an item:

Edit Item, tab image
Browse to an image to upload
Click "Save" (or "Apply")

K2 replies, "Changes to Item saved", but on the image tab, there is no image, and on the corresponding web page, there is none, too.

I checked these settings:

FTP account and password OK (Joomla general settings)
Item view options:
* Image > Show
* Image Caption > Show
* Image Credits > Show

What have I missed here?

Cheers,

/Magnus

• Bob Levy
More
14 years 4 months ago #76883 by Bob Levy
Replied by Bob Levy on topic SubCategory Image Choice
Simon,

Thanks for all your help, as well as that of those wh joined in.

I looked at the graphic of your K2 EDIT CATEGORY and must tell you that I must have a diferent version than you as I only get an "ADD/EDIT CATEGORY" screen. And on my screen, at the bottom of the form presented is a little upload graphic field. It is separate from the form above it. I do not get the tabbed graphic presentation depicted in the graphic you included in your answer.

There is NO description or explanation as to what this little upload graphic field is for. There isn't even a submit button for it. I Browsed & entered a graphic from my hard drive and, lacking a submit button used the "Save" button in the dashboard. AND THAT WORKED!

So, while I thank you again for all your help, clearly K2 has a good deal of "un-documented" functionality that, you guessed it, needs documentation.

Regards,

Bob