Keyword

One category with more field groups

• Berend Otten
  • Berend Otten's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 4 months ago #77437 by Berend Otten
One category with more field groups was created by Berend Otten
Hi,

Can there be more than one field group assigned to a category? If you make a functional grouping of fields and want to connect these field groups to a category.... It would make sense then to also add a description to every field group.

Perhaps a more generic way to solve this, could be to have the option to add a new entity and then link it to the current item?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Berend Otten
More
14 years 4 months ago #77438 by Berend Otten
Replied by Berend Otten on topic One category with more field groups
It would be fancy to be able to adjust the presentation of the selected field groups on a category.
For example: one could list all field groups (containing all new fields) underneath each other below the full item text, or one could chose to show the field group content in a tab-manner.
Attachments:

More
14 years 3 months ago #77439 by Gary A Mort
Replied by Gary A Mort on topic One category with more field groups
I somewhat did that in reverse... I had 2 categories that had 80% of the same fields... so I made a parent field category and a set of fields in a field group assigned there. Then the 2 children set to inherit from the parent, and their own field groups for additional data.

Than I hacked about 20 lines of core code so inherit means inherit!

See extension dev for details.

More
14 years 3 months ago #77440 by Buddy Q
Replied by Buddy Q on topic One category with more field groups
It would be nice to get a better answer from the core devs here. I certainly don't like hacking any core files. This should definitely be a feature to be added. Not all fields are related and we don't necessarily like having to have a grid of the presented information either. Would be nice for a solution here.

Buddy

Gary A Mort said:I somewhat did that in reverse... I had 2 categories that had 80% of the same fields... so I made a parent field category and a set of fields in a field group assigned there. Then the 2 children set to inherit from the parent, and their own field groups for additional data.

Than I hacked about 20 lines of core code so inherit means inherit!

See extension dev for details.

More
14 years 3 months ago #77441 by Gary A Mort
Buddy Q said:It would be nice to get a better answer from the core devs here. I certainly don't like hacking any core files. This should definitely be a feature to be added. Not all fields are related and we don't necessarily like having to have a grid of the presented information either. Would be nice for a solution here.

My viewpoint as a dev is that there is a published solution[mine] and that if people REALLY want it they would use the hack and let K2 devs know their using it.

If no one but me is really interested enough in order to cut and paste 20 lines of code, then no one is really interested.

If half a dozen people do cut and paste the code, it's all public domain stuff so the K2 devs are certainly free to take my code, QA it and add it to the core.

• Berend Otten
More
14 years 3 months ago #77442 by Berend Otten
Replied by Berend Otten on topic One category with more field groups
Thanks very much for your replies!

Please, can you help me find the 20 loc?

More
14 years 3 months ago #77443 by Buddy Q
Hi Gary,

I did not see a published solution that you wrote on this forum. I don't see a link to any solution either. Saying that you hacked 20 lines of core code and then "See extension dev for details" is cryptic since I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm new to K2, that's the whole point. I've figured out how to make my own layout templates which is sweet and tweak some other stuff but I have no idea you have a printed solution from your post. If you could provide it, that would be great.

I'm trying to follow what you said but I dont know how to make a parent field category. Do you have baby instructions?

Buddy

Gary A Mort said:Buddy Q said:It would be nice to get a better answer from the core devs here. I certainly don't like hacking any core files. This should definitely be a feature to be added. Not all fields are related and we don't necessarily like having to have a grid of the presented information either. Would be nice for a solution here.

My viewpoint as a dev is that there is a published solution[mine] and that if people REALLY want it they would use the hack and let K2 devs know their using it.

If no one but me is really interested enough in order to cut and paste 20 lines of code, then no one is really interested.

If half a dozen people do cut and paste the code, it's all public domain stuff so the K2 devs are certainly free to take my code, QA it and add it to the core.

More
14 years 3 months ago #77444 by Gary A Mort
Hmm, extension dev was a reference to that forum, abbreviating because I'm lazy.

Here is the link:
community.getk2.org/forum/topics/sigh-hacking-the-core?commentId=3536014:Comment:37541

Ning doesn't allow for "code" quoting so it is a bit harder on this forum to give instructions[usually I just quote the original file text that should be selected and then paste/quote the new code.

Give it shot, save your file before you start.

More
14 years 3 months ago #77445 by Buddy Q
Thanks a bunch. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Buddy

Gary A Mort said:Hmm, extension dev was a reference to that forum, abbreviating because I'm lazy.
Here is the link:
community.getk2.org/forum/topics/sigh-hacking-the-core?comme...

Ning doesn't allow for "code" quoting so it is a bit harder on this forum to give instructions[usually I just quote the original file text that should be selected and then paste/quote the new code.

Give it shot, save your file before you start.