Keyword

Category limit? Bad design? [BYPASSED]

• denis pyr
  • denis pyr's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 3 months ago #77517 by denis pyr
Category limit? Bad design? [BYPASSED] was created by denis pyr
Hi,
the category setup on my site is four-levels deep, as follows: 1 root category, having 2 subcategories, each of them having 4 subcategories, each of them having aprox 100 subcategories. A total of 540 categories and about 1300 items.
Now, I want a page that show the root category plus its two subcategories. I setup my parameters to display just that - no items, no item count, nothing more.
I face speed problems so I enable the log and I see a total of 2970 queries running to fullfill that request!!! It seems to run one select query for each category, one count(*) for each category and one count(*) on comments for each category.
I must be doing something wrong here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #77518 by FeSys
Replied by FeSys on topic Category limit? Bad design? [BYPASSED]
Hi " denis".
Best option: You need to Customize your default K2 template..
Try it.

• denis pyr
More
14 years 3 months ago #77519 by denis pyr
Replied by denis pyr on topic Category limit? Bad design? [BYPASSED]
Hi.
The template is quite right, it shows what I want to see: the (root) category name and below it the two subcategory names. I want nothing more - nothing less.
But it seems to traverse (more than once) the whole category/item hierarchy in order to show these three names!!!!
Or I misunderstood your suggestion? You really mean I should customize the template? If so, can you please point the file(s) involved?
TIA

• denis pyr
More
14 years 3 months ago #77520 by denis pyr
Replied by denis pyr on topic Category limit? Bad design? [BYPASSED]
As advised from Joomlaworks (thx):
make sure that you have set "catalog mode" setting to "Yes" for the root category. You will find this setting on the category edit page. Also make sure that this category doesn't inherit parameter options from an other category. If it does you have to change this setting on this category.
I marked this as BYPASSED rather than SOLVED as I think this is a workaround.