Keyword

Adding sub categories to existing website

• Steve Amundsen
  • Steve Amundsen's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 2 months ago #79209 by Steve Amundsen
Adding sub categories to existing website was created by Steve Amundsen
I am trying to add sub categories to an existing website that I am building that has sections and categories.  How do add sub categories to the already existing categories for an additional hierarchy level?  And how would I then add those sub categories (or nested categories as you may call them) to my existing navigation?Thank You.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 months ago #79210 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Adding sub categories to existing website
K2 has it's own "space". Nothing to do with Joomla's article system. It's actually a replacement. Read through the various docs, view some videos to get into K2 faster ;)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Steve Amundsen
More
14 years 2 months ago #79211 by Steve Amundsen
Replied by Steve Amundsen on topic Adding sub categories to existing website
I have read, I have viewed, and nothing seemed to clarify this. Might be easy for someone with thorough knowledge, but not for me. So does this mean I have to start over and create all my sections and categories from scratch as well as my navigation?

JoomlaWorks said:K2 has it's own "space". Nothing to do with Joomla's article system. It's actually a replacement. Read through the various docs, view some videos to get into K2 faster ;)

More
14 years 2 months ago #79212 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Adding sub categories to existing website
Hi Steve,
OK, you have fallen at the first hurdle.

Joomla Articles/Sections/Categories are no longer needed when using K2 Items and Categories.
You can import your Joomla Articles into K2, as ther is an Import icon in the top right of the K2 control panel.

When you import to K2, it automatically converts your Joomla Sections to K2 Categories and you Joomla Categories to K2 Sub Categories relative to how they were store in Joomla.

The data is not lost, you will still have the original content and new K2 content,

At this stage, your front end will still be showing Joomla content.

You will now have to go and modify your menus to point to the newly created K2 items or categories.
Once you start linking menus to k2 content, then you will start to see it appear on the front end.

You will have to configure your K2 categories as there is a lot of parameters to aid in layoying out the content.

There is additional information and guides at k2joom.com which I created when I first started using K2 a couple of months.

Any questions, then post away.

Regards,

Simon
K2Joom.com

Steve Amundsen said:I have read, I have viewed, and nothing seemed to clarify this. Might be easy for someone with thorough knowledge, but not for me. So does this mean I have to start over and create all my sections and categories from scratch as well as my navigation?
JoomlaWorks said:K2 has it's own "space". Nothing to do with Joomla's article system. It's actually a replacement. Read through the various docs, view some videos to get into K2 faster ;)

• Steve Amundsen
More
14 years 2 months ago #79213 by Steve Amundsen
Replied by Steve Amundsen on topic Adding sub categories to existing website
Sounds like this makes sense. I will try to follow your steps and hopefully things will work out. I will backup my site first, even though it is still in the development stage.

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated!

K2Joom said:Hi Steve, OK, you have fallen at the first hurdle.

Joomla Articles/Sections/Categories are no longer needed when using K2 Items and Categories.
You can import your Joomla Articles into K2, as ther is an Import icon in the top right of the K2 control panel.

When you import to K2, it automatically converts your Joomla Sections to K2 Categories and you Joomla Categories to K2 Sub Categories relative to how they were store in Joomla.

The data is not lost, you will still have the original content and new K2 content,

At this stage, your front end will still be showing Joomla content.

You will now have to go and modify your menus to point to the newly created K2 items or categories.
Once you start linking menus to k2 content, then you will start to see it appear on the front end.

You will have to configure your K2 categories as there is a lot of parameters to aid in layoying out the content.

There is additional information and guides at k2joom.com which I created when I first started using K2 a couple of months.

Any questions, then post away.

Regards,

Simon
K2Joom.com

Steve Amundsen said:I have read, I have viewed, and nothing seemed to clarify this. Might be easy for someone with thorough knowledge, but not for me. So does this mean I have to start over and create all my sections and categories from scratch as well as my navigation? JoomlaWorks said:K2 has it's own "space". Nothing to do with Joomla's article system. It's actually a replacement. Read through the various docs, view some videos to get into K2 faster ;)

More
14 years 2 months ago #79214 by Simon Wells
Replied by Simon Wells on topic Adding sub categories to existing website
Your welcome.

Simon