After upgrade to 2.10.x, link to category results in blank page with cat. title

• regexaurus
  • regexaurus's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #173963 by regexaurus
I have a site on DreamHost shared hosting:

<li>Joomla 3.9.13
<li>PHP 7.3.11 FastCGI
<li>Misc extensions, including Gantry 5.4.31, RokCommon 3.2.8, RokGallery Module 2.45, RokNavMenu 2.0.9, RokSprocket 2.1.26, Advanced Module Manager 7.12.3, etc.

With K2 2.9.0, I can follow a K2 category link, and a list of items in that category are displayed, as expected. After upgrading to K2 2.10.0 or 2.10.1, if I follow a K2 category link (or manually enter the URL for the category; same difference), I see a page with the category title/name, with blank body (no list of items in that category). Downgrading to 2.9.0 immediately resolves the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thank you!
Last edit: 4 years 4 months ago by regexaurus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 months ago #173965 by JoomlaWorks
This indicates that something breaks the output (with a PHP fatal error) which most likely indicates to a plugin. I recommend switching error reporting to maximum in Joomla's global configuration and then installing v2.10.1. When you load a category page, you should now see where the error occurs. Paste it back here so I can assist you further.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• regexaurus
More
4 years 4 months ago #173995 by regexaurus
Hi Fotis,

Thank you for responding!
I had already set error_reporting to maximum and debug enabled (1). I have the third-party extension, Additional Categories for K2, which results in "Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP..." when enabled. That's the only warning/error that appears. Before starting this topic, I had already disabled that extension (component + plugin) with no apparent effect (other than no more warning/error). The K2 category pages still appeared blank (except for K2 category title).
After you replied, I tried disabling many/most third-party extensions (components, modules, plugins) for testing/troubleshooting. Unfortunately this made no difference. I'm not sure what else to try...

More
4 years 4 months ago #174022 by JoomlaWorks
Completely uninstall "Additional Categories for K2". It's old, deprecated, requires hacking K2 and not supported anymore. Instead go for www.web357.com/product/multiple-categories-for-k2-joomla-plugin which is far better and actively supported.

Make sure you uninstall everything from "Additional Categories for K2", especially any plugins as these may cause the problem you have.

---

• regexaurus
More
4 years 4 months ago #174082 by regexaurus
Thank you, Fotis!

The trouble was related to "Additional Categories for K2." Apparently it's not compatible with K2 2.10.x. In my testing, at some point I created a new item and assigned it to a category that appeared blank (front end listing) after upgrading to K2 2.10.x. The new/test item appeared in the front end listing. Filtering items by category in the back end, I realized items that had been assigned a secondary/additional category no longer appeared in secondary/additional categories.
As you recommended, I purchased a "multiple categories" pro subscription. The extension is working well.

More
4 years 4 months ago #174086 by JoomlaWorks
Great :)

---