Keyword

Meta tag "name" vs "property" + Image not showing on whatsapp iOS only

• Lucas Nascimento
  • Lucas Nascimento's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #176711 by Lucas Nascimento
Hello guys! I'd really appreciate your help with the following.

I have a big news website (fup.org.br) that uses K2 as its article system. Uploaded to latest version in the last days.

Initially, I was having problems with twitter cards, that's why I updated the K2 version. With the update, problem solved! But after that, my client started saying that the links shared in Whatsapp were not displaying the picture in rich link anymore. That's where my odissey started.

I tried changed all the image sizes in K2 configuration, tried changing width of the sizes, tried using other meta tags plugins... everything that I could, with no results.

After a lot of research, I found and edited the view.html.php file, including the tags as the picture shows:

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

After all this, I have two questions:

1 - I still have problems in iOS. Even checking some articles in tools such as metatags.io and facebook debugger (showing the meta information correctly), all social networks work well, except for Whatsapp in iOS, that shows a loading circle when I paste the link, but after that the loading image goes away, and only title and description stay in the rich link.

2 - After some research, I checked another additional properties that can make part of the meta tags, such as og:image:url, og:image:secure_url, og:image:width, and og:image:height. I included them via code in view.html.php (Capturar2.JPG), but in the front-end, they appear listed as <"meta name:"xxxxx"> and not <meta property:"xxxxx"> (Capturar.JPG). Do this make any difference? And how could I change this "name" to "property", since they are written just the same way in the php code?

If you guys could help me with these questions, I'd be very grateful!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #176720 by JoomlaWorks
Replying...

a) This may well be a security feature in iOS for WhatsApp. If some other site that you use works just fine in previews, please do send it to me as I don't use iOS or WhatsApp, but I can examine its meta tags...

b) Since these are not standard HTML attributes for the meta tag but Facebook specific, Joomla does not support creating such meta tags on-the-fly for third party components like K2. So what we do is process the most usual ones (e.g. og:title) and change "name" to "property" before rendering the output in Joomla and of course only when you're viewing K2 content.

In any case, since meta tags have been overhauled in K2 v2.10.x, they have been thoroughly tested to work as expected. There may be exceptions of course, but I doubt the issue is K2's implementation (which merely follows each provider's guides for sharing rich content in their platforms).

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Lucas Nascimento
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #176726 by Lucas Nascimento
Hello @Fotis!

A) In answer to this question, I have other two websites that use K2 as well, and the meta tags work: sindipetro-rs.org.br and sindipetroprsc.org.br . Bothe are joomla + K2, but with older versions of both.

B) In this case, so, do you recommend me to replace my edited view.html.php by the original one and check if it works?

Ps: Another point: I'm using this website fup.org.br with a Pro Plan at Cloudflare. Do this have any effect on the problem?

I'm almost rolling K2 back to the older version, since my client is pressuring me a lot about this problem...

Thank you very much Fotis!
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Lucas Nascimento. Reason: Add information

• Lucas Nascimento
More
3 years 8 months ago #176728 by Lucas Nascimento
Hi @Fotis!

Just to let you know... tried changing for the original "view.html.php", but none solved the problem, so I rolled back to version 2.9.0, and it finally worked!

Don't know if there's a bug, or whatever, but as soon as I rolled back, the links worked even in iOS, android and whatsapp web.

Thank you very much for your attention!!

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #176737 by JoomlaWorks
Version 2.9.0 simply does not have any of the new meta tag optimizations. Perhaps you were using another extension for that and there was some conflict there. Of course I recommend updating to v2.10.x.

As for CloudFlare Pro, it doesn't modify your HTML output in such a way to cause issues to meta tags...

---
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by JoomlaWorks.

• Lucas Nascimento
More
3 years 7 months ago #176830 by Lucas Nascimento
Hello Fotis!

Thank you for your response!

In fact, I didn't have any other problems while keeping version 2.9.0, so I left it , and in the future I turn to update it again.

Anyway, I'd like to thank you @Fotis for your attention and kindness in order to help!

More
3 years 7 months ago #176833 by JoomlaWorks
You're welcome :)

---