Keyword

Interaction with 3rd party components, modules and plugins

• Oceanwatcher
  • Oceanwatcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68063 by Oceanwatcher
It suddenly hit me that there is a VERY important point to figure out before I decide to rely on K2 on any website.

How does it interact with 3rd party components, modules and plugins? As it is not following standard ways of doing things, wil the categories of K2 show up in the category listing of other additions to Joomla? Or will some changes have to be made?

This has the potential of being a total showstopper. And it is important to get cleared up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68064 by Oceanwatcher
I have the RokStories module that I would like to use and I have the same question.

More
14 years 10 months ago #68065 by Mario Marquardt
I don't think, that the Rok Stories Modul will work with K2, cause joomlaworks have their own slideshow Modul: Frontpage Slideshow, that will interact in future with K2

• Birger J. Nordølum
More
14 years 10 months ago #68066 by Birger J. Nordølum
Replied by Birger J. Nordølum on topic Interaction with 3rd party components, modules and plugins
Even though, I don't see why they can't add support for others. Diversity is a bless.

Birger :)

More
14 years 10 months ago #68067 by Mario Marquardt
k2 uses its own tables in the database, so for instance rockettheme would have to change their rok stories modul to take the items from this table and not from the table jos_content - thats the point - and also k2 is wholly different in content building to joomla core i think

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68068 by Oceanwatcher
Mario: THAT is the wrong answer, dude! :-) Is K2 an attempt to lock in the users so they have to pay to get the extra functionality that they need? It does not appear that way from what I have read from Fotis!

Whether or not they have their own slideshow module is not the question. This was only ONE of the examples I have.

The big issue here is to find out if there is a generic way for other additions to Joomla to get hold of the categories and articles without any modifications. That would be the correct thing.

A solution would be that JoomlaWorks made a plugin for Joomla that made the whole thing available to other additions somewhow.

If this will not be the case, the Joomla universe of additions just got a big shrink...

More
14 years 10 months ago #68069 by JoomlaWorks
K2 (like any other Joomla! extension or even the extensions built into the core of Joomla!) interacts with other extensions to the same level com_content (default joomla articles), Virtuemart and more do.

Since you seem to be a new user within the Joomla community, you first have to understand how extensions work, in terms of what a component is and what it can do, what modules and plugins are etc.

Imagine that K2 is like a second "core" to Joomla!, so other developers can easily "retrieve" K2 content and use it however they like, in their own extensions.

All "content" plugins will play nice with K2 content, that means if you install a plugin that converts acronyms to words with a link it will play nice on both joomla core articles and K2.

Hope I covered some of your questions.

Cory Webb wrote a nice article some time ago on joomla jargon: www.howtojoomla.net/2006120741/how-tos/miscellaneous/joomla-jargon - have a look ;)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
14 years 10 months ago #68070 by JoomlaWorks
K2 is there for other extensions to use its content. It acts like com_content, the built in joomla articles component. It's up to other devs to create modules that utilize the richer content produced by K2. So as you can understand, a module that fetches the latest X articles from com_content cannot do the same for K2, unless the developer modifies its code.

Plugins on the other hand don't fall into this case. All content plugins will execute nicely within K2, cause plugins work by nature differently to modules.

Components are like different applications. Again it's up to the developer to hook their component up with K2.

And lastly... We made K2 with a vision to bring better and richer content experience to Joomla! 1.5 - and not wait for 1.6 or 2.0. We "open sourced" it so others can see the code and extend it. So we are providing a new content platform which is GPL and available to all. Can this be restrictive to Joomla! users? I don't think so... ;)

---

More
14 years 10 months ago #68071 by JoomlaWorks
Don't think. Use it first, please.

---

More
14 years 10 months ago #68072 by JoomlaWorks
RocketTheme will at any point create a module to fetch content from K2.

K2 is open source and they are free to do so. Furthermore, we encourage RocketTheme and other designers or developers to do so.

---