Keyword

Slightly rearrange the layout of articles

• Oceanwatcher
  • Oceanwatcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68018 by Oceanwatcher
Slightly rearrange the layout of articles was created by Oceanwatcher
I would like to change the order of the things displayed on the frontpage and in the article view.

On the frontpage, I would like to have the category on top as a grey bar. Then I would like to have the picture displayed and then the rest.

I would like to get rid of the voting system both on the frontpage and in the articles.

I would like a similar display in the full article view. The main picture on top and then the rest under.

Is there an easy way to achieve this? What files do I need to change? As this has nothing (at least the basic stuff) to do with styling, I guess there are a couple of php files that need to be changed, not CSS (yet :-) )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68019 by Oceanwatcher
Replied by Oceanwatcher on topic Slightly rearrange the layout of articles
Peter said:We solved it in the Beta Version with seperated Templates for every Category. So you can create a Special Template View for the Frontpage and an other for example Blog or News.

Yeah, I heard about that , but did not realise it applied to frontpage and to full item display. As soon as you can tell me how to do this, I will try it. I will probably need a litte guidance in where to find the things I need to change. Not a programmer or heavy developer (just heavy - lol)

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68020 by Oceanwatcher
Peter said:It´s not a act like you maybe think :) But for which Version?

I am using K2V2pre. Tried the beta, but could not get it to work at all. This version seems to do what it should. I also have a big problem with pictures on the frontpage, but that has already been mentioned in another topic :-)

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68021 by Oceanwatcher
This is what is called a template override, right?

As what I wanted to change (mainly - I want to change the itemlist/frontpage as well :-) ), should it not be the item folder that I should work on first?

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68022 by Oceanwatcher
I am sorry, my first language is not English, so I sometimes have a little problem understanding. Let me show you what I am looking for.

Here is a view of the order I want things in for my frontpage (done with iJoomla):

www.datahverdag.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_magazine&Itemid=13

Don't worry about the styling here, it is the order of things that is important.

This is the current frontpage:

www.datahverdag.com/joomla

Click on the main article on the current frontpage. What I would like there is to move the Picture to the top.

So there are two separate things here, but both relate to reordering of the content.

I finally found out how to remove the things I did not want on the frontpage, so it has been cleaned up considerably. Now I just need some re-ordering :-)

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68023 by Oceanwatcher
Thank you. I really appreciate your help.

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68024 by Oceanwatcher
Is it ok to drop the itemcatid? I am displaying stories from 5 different categories on the frontpage and I want all of them to have the same look...

Started to put things together the way you said.

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68025 by Oceanwatcher
So... what you say is that the template HAS to be tied to a category?

This is where I loose the logic in K2 a bit. It is supposed to free you from the Section/category problem. But in reality, it is just the same.

I want to be able to have the news from Cats, Dogs, Birds with no main category. So if I make a template for the Cats category, how will the system know that it is supposed to use this for the front page?

I can understand that it might be interesting to display articles from different categories in slightly different ways when you show the full article. But on the front page, I want all displayed the same way. And if each category has a different template, who wins the battle for the front page?

I am sorry for asking these questions. For me, this is a kind of logical problem that I have to work through. I am sure there is a good explanation for how things should be done, I am just struggling a little to connect the dots.

Again, I am very sorry for my slow brain in this matter :-)

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68026 by Oceanwatcher
I have collected my categories under one umbrella category for now called Article Section. So maybe I can use that as name for the templates.

• Oceanwatcher
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 10 months ago #68027 by Oceanwatcher
Oops. This forum is a bit confusing. Not easy to always get things in the right places as you are allowed to add posts into the thread higher up...

Anyway - what i said was that I have collected the important categories under one main category - Articles Section. So it will probably work creating templates for that category?