Keyword

www.ccemagonline.com

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Kelsey Brookes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72864 by Kelsey Brookes
www.ccemagonline.com was created by Kelsey Brookes
100% K2 content driven, this site is the online version of a new classic music magazine. We used multiple variations on the k2_mod_content module to achieve different styling of the magazine section links in different areas of the site.

ccemagonline.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72865 by Jay D.
Replied by Jay D. on topic www.ccemagonline.com
How did you get the links on the home page to to link to the articles directly? like you have ccmagonline.com/artists/somebody on the home page. where I have it on my site, domain.com/home/item/aritcle.

Did you guys really mod it out? or is it a plugin?

Thanks if you can let me know, I'm trying to work on a skateboard/snowboard site and I love your home page. I'm just having a terrible time getting the links and what not to work the way I want.

Before I forget to mention, your site is outstanding in layout and usability. Two thumbs up!

Thanks,
Jay

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72866 by Kelsey Brookes
Replied by Kelsey Brookes on topic www.ccemagonline.com
Which links? The main menu at the top or for the links in the modules down the centre columns?

The main menu links don't link directly to articles, they link to a K2 category, which is set to display up to ten articles, with read-more's, etc.

The centre column links are using multiple versions of the mod_k2_content module with varying parameters. For example, each 'category block' (such as Break on Through, Retrospective, etc) uses three mod_k2_content modules plus the MetaMod module to achieve the style on the front page. Some are set to only show a certain number of links. One module shows only one featured link, another shows up to four links from that category that are NOT featured.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72867 by Jay D.
I

Kelsey Brookes said:Which links? The main menu at the top or for the links in the modules down the centre columns?

I made a screen shot, since it might be a bit easier to explain.

The main menu links don't link directly to articles, they link to a K2 category, which is set to display up to ten articles, with read-more's, etc.

I am fairly new to Joomla, but have been programming for years. How did you get it to link to articles.html and have it pull the category. I tried doing that, and it just 404's me.
The centre column links are using multiple versions of the mod_k2_content module with varying parameters. For example, each 'category block' (such as Break on Through, Retrospective, etc) uses three mod_k2_content modules plus the MetaMod module to achieve the style on the front page. Some are set to only show a certain number of links. One module shows only one featured link, another shows up to four links from that category that are NOT featured.

The biggest problem I am seeing is the way I have it set up, to have articles on the home page, I set up a home category, then inside that I have a reviews category, then sub reviews. Then I go to link to it on the home page, it looks domain.com/home/reviewpage I would like it to be, domain.com/reviews/subcat/reviewpage. Maybe it's the way I have it set up. I'm not a 100% sure.

Again, thanks for even taking the time out to respond!

Jay

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72868 by Kelsey Brookes
Gotcha, it's because the main article on the front page is using mod_k2_content also, rather than being the 'component' include.

I think you'll find that this URL presentation is as a result of the mod_k2_content presentation - check out the links on the more obvious module categories in the centre of the page.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72869 by Jay D.
Ok, I think I'm heading in the right way now. I did turn on the mod_K2_content module. But how did you get load the module in the home page? use a article? any mod?

Thanks again for your help! I've been searching trying to get these links to work right for a bit. And you are the only one that I have seen that has gotten it right.

J

Kelsey Brookes said:Gotcha, it's because the main article on the front page is using mod_k2_content also, rather than being the 'component' include.
I think you'll find that this URL presentation is as a result of the mod_k2_content presentation - check out the links on the more obvious module categories in the centre of the page.

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72870 by Kelsey Brookes
My template uses conditional PHP statements to ensure the appropriate module positions are loaded on the front page and content pages.

On the front page layout, I have no 'component' position, I have a module position which loads that particular iteration of the mod_k2_content module.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72871 by Jay D.
Basically, I should just hack something together...

• Kelsey Brookes
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72872 by Kelsey Brookes
There's no hacking required.

Did you build your own template? There are two ways to achieve this.

1) Build two templates
Build one solely for the front page and assign this to the menu links for 'home' (or whatever link you have to your front page). The other becomes the 'default' template. On your front page template, rather than using the jdoc component code, just use the jdoc module code instead. Assign the mod_k2_content to that module position and you're done.

2) Build one template
This is what I did, using php to determine if the 'view' was 'frontpage' that it should display a different set of code than if the view was not frontpage. This is slightly trickier, but a bit less hassle than managing multiple css stylesheets. There's plenty of discussions on this technique on the Joomla forums and I can expand a bit further if necessary.

If you've built your own template, doing option one is a total walk in the park and option two is only slightly harder.

If you're working of someone else's template and have no idea about module positions then this is probably going to be a lot harder to achieve.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72873 by Jay D.
Yeah, I am using the beez template. I think I am getting closer. I tried sticking in a into the default.php, then I created that module to be in there, but that didn't work.

What you are saying is to duplicate the whole main index.php page, instead of having the

Missing code....s
put the in there.