Keyword

Register to read more

More
14 years 3 months ago #77259 by mihha
Register to read more was created by mihha
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to achieve something that Joomla has for a very long time.

I would like to show only intro text for a guests and the text "Register to read more". When guests clicks on that link, they would be redirected to the registration form.

This can be achieved with "Show unauthorized links" in Joomla

How can I achieve the same in K2? Is that possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #77260 by Jochen Kästle
Replied by Jochen Kästle on topic Register to read more
hi! Look at this thread community.getk2.org/forum/topics/what-happened-to-option-for?commentId=3536014%3AComment%3A32190

...should give you an idea of what to do. You only have to find a way to redirect to login module!

More
14 years 3 months ago #77261 by mihha
Replied by mihha on topic Register to read more
Hi,

thank you for a quick reply. I was hoping that by now, this feature would be implemented in K2. Fotis mentioned that this is already possible (in a Twitter conversation) but I was never able to achieve this.

This would be a great feature if developers could add it in the official installation

Jochen Kästle said:hi! Look at this thread community.getk2.org/forum/topics/what-happened-to-option-for...
...should give you an idea of what to do. You only have to find a way to redirect to login module!

More
14 years 2 months ago #77262 by Neo Jen Sen
Replied by Neo Jen Sen on topic Register to read more
Hi,

Im having the same requirements... user to login/register before allowing to see the full text. Has anyone found a solution without hacking the k2 codes? Aint keen to do that since I planning to move to the latest version v2.2 shortly...

More
14 years 2 months ago #77263 by mihha
Hi,

you can easily apply changes to the articles and categories views if you use overrides in Joomla.

Just copy needed files in your template/html folder (create one if you don't have it) and make changes. Good thing about K2 is that you just need to make changes to the representation layer so you can easily and without fears upgrade K2 and your changes will stay as you want them.

I did those changes and the result can be visible here

Neo Jen Sen said:Hi,
Im having the same requirements... user to login/register before allowing to see the full text. Has anyone found a solution without hacking the k2 codes? Aint keen to do that since I planning to move to the latest version v2.2 shortly...

More
14 years 2 months ago #77264 by Neo Jen Sen
Replied by Neo Jen Sen on topic Register to read more
Thanks man... i got it..

Igor Mihaljko said:Hi,
you can easily apply changes to the articles and categories views if you use overrides in Joomla.

Just copy needed files in your template/html folder (create one if you don't have it) and make changes. Good thing about K2 is that you just need to make changes to the representation layer so you can easily and without fears upgrade K2 and your changes will stay as you want them.

Neo Jen Sen said:Hi, Im having the same requirements... user to login/register before allowing to see the full text. Has anyone found a solution without hacking the k2 codes? Aint keen to do that since I planning to move to the latest version v2.2 shortly...

More
14 years 2 months ago #77265 by leenie
Replied by leenie on topic Register to read more
I also need a 'register to read more' function. Can you explain this process a bit more for a newbie?

Thanks!
LeAnn

More
14 years 2 months ago #77266 by mihha
Hi,

I will try. Here are the steps you should follow before you even apply code changes:

1. create the following folder structure under your template's folder (if html folder already exists, omit it)

html
com_k2
templates

2. copy the following files under templates folder
generic.php
user.php
3. copy the following file under the default folder
category_item.php

Apply code changes as described in attached txt file. This post editor doesn't allow me to insert code in the post directly.

Do the code changes in all three php files that you copied in step 3

I hope that you will succeed. Observe that I am using Community builder so I placed a link to it's registration page in my code changes

LeAnn Brewster said:I also need a 'register to read more' function. Can you explain this process a bit more for a newbie?
Thanks!
LeAnn

Igor Mihaljko said:Hi, you can easily apply changes to the articles and categories views if you use overrides in Joomla.

Attachments:

More
14 years 2 months ago #77267 by leenie
Replied by leenie on topic Register to read more
Awesome that worked! Only thing is un-registered users can still click on the item title and see the full story. I just made titles non-linked and problem solved! Thanks so much!

I will try. Here are the steps you should follow before you even apply code changes:

More
14 years 2 months ago #77268 by mihha
I know. I did the same. If you use K2 module to show articles, you will have to apply those code changes in the same way.

LeAnn Brewster said:Awesome that worked! Only thing is un-registered users can still click on the item title and see the full story. I just made titles non-linked and problem solved! Thanks so much!
Igor Mihaljko said:Hi, I will try. Here are the steps you should follow before you even apply code changes: