Keyword

After Update to K2 2.9 Extra Fields Don't Work At All

• Timothy Michel
  • Timothy Michel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Programming is a lot of work
More
5 years 5 months ago - 5 years 5 months ago #169783 by Timothy Michel
Replied by Timothy Michel on topic After Update to K2 2.9 Extra Fields Don't Work At All
OK, so they wrote the plugin not you. good to know, yeh, I will let them know that they need to update that plugin.

I am also having a conversation with Joomla over the new CSS core properties. They are proudly advertising that Joomla 4.0 will sport Twitter Bootstrap 4.0 and I argue that now that we have CSS Grids and Flexbox elements, that Bootstrap really isn't all that important any more.for layout.

I have read other arguments that CSS Grids is a core technology and that Bootstrap is third party, Twitter, and that it is always better to go with core when core supports everything we need to do.

I was wondering how you felt about that. That little HTML file I attached was only 11K in size, and yet it adapts nicely to iPhones, tablets and desktops. I could never do that with Bootstrap in 11K.

Thanks, Tim
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Timothy Michel. Reason: Typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 5 months ago #169798 by JoomlaWorks
My belief is that Bootstrap is a good choice, for many reasons. CSS grids (and Flexbox) are nice but to be easily defined in HTML structures, you still need to augment CSS properties into class names. Think of how BootStrap does grids right now. This is really handy.

I also think that the plan for BootStrap is to eventually support CSS Grids for layout/structure while offering a fallback for older browsers or browser that don't fully support the Grid & Flex specs yet.

Additionally, if I were to choose JS libs to be included from 3rd parties, I would definitely use jQuery 3.x, BootStrap v4 (they are not related to Twitter anymore BTW) and perhaps Vue.js as essential libraries to make developers' and integrators' lives easier. Otherwise we'll end up with dozens of libraries (even same but with different versions) being loaded into the Joomla frontend or backend. It's not a bad thing utilising proven/successful 3rd party projects in Joomla.

And I wouldn't worry on performance. As server's move to HTTP/2, it doesn't matter if you have 100 CSS/JS scripts. The protocol works differently to HTTP 1.1 and the browser bundles these files and downloads them much more intelligently and more efficient. Not to mention a few extra KBs won't hurt anyone...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Timothy Michel
  • Timothy Michel's Avatar Topic Author
  • Programming is a lot of work
More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #169952 by Timothy Michel
Replied by Timothy Michel on topic After Update to K2 2.9 Extra Fields Don't Work At All
I realize that a standardized CSS class naming structure, is essential for extensions developers, because how else could their products integrate into the design of a website; it would be impossible, all they could do is provide a generic look and feel and say "style to suit." With a standard set of classes, extensions can be installed and look like they belong on the site right out of the box.

After poking around the web, I came across this statement that suggests that CSS Grids and Bootstrap 4.0 will live happily together in Joomla 4:

Joomla 4 is currently in development. It may be many months before Joomla 4 is released, but we're already working on comparability for Joomlashack templates.

One of the most important changes in Joomla 4 is the upgrade from Bootstrap 2 to Bootstrap 4. However, one thing we've discovered is that Joomla 4 will not rely exclusively on Bootstrap.

Joomla 4 will also rely on CSS Grid Layout, a CSS method that is revolutionizing the frontend web design industry.

Bootstrap 4 and CSS Grid Layout will be the tools used for frontend design in Joomla 4. Joomla will rely on Bootstrap 4 for the user interface, and CSS Grid for the frontend layouts. The Joomla team are making this change because they believe that CSS Grid will be more future-proof. In Joomla 3, they were locked into an old version of Bootstrap. The hope is that this new approach will avoid similar problems with Joomla 4.

See: The Future of Joomla is CSS Grid, Not Bootstrap 4

It would seem, to me, that this is a reasonable approach, what do you think, considering what you said about the future of Bootstrap?

Thanks, Tim
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Timothy Michel. Reason: Added a link

More
5 years 4 months ago #169978 by JoomlaWorks
It's the best approach. And people can use BS4 if they want to exclusively (aka all template devs).

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)