Keyword

K2 src and cache not writing

• Andrew
  • Andrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #172156 by Andrew
K2 src and cache not writing was created by Andrew
Hi Everyone,

Following a Joomla and K2 update (and change of server location), K2 is not generating contents in the src and cache folder in the backend. After many forum searches and fix attempts, I am still puzzled about why this is not working.

The problem is as follows, I write an article and add an image via the image tab. I have a success message upon save and I see a record enter the K2 item table. The image will not process and display. The image is not uploaded to the src folder, nor processed by the cache. Images can be uploaded via the server image/K2 media interface but they will not attach to the article.

I’ve checked the sever configuration (all PHP items are fine, including GD2). I’ve checked the caches with main Joomla cache disabled. I can upload to Joomla and the article image is fine. I’ve checked the === issue (no problem - already updated). I’ve check post_max and upload_max (all fine). I’ve inspected the code via Firefox developer tools (all fine). K2 writes to the database so I cannot get an error in the developer options of Joomla or the logs (a green, success message). I’ve trebled checked all permissions and they are set correctly.

I’ve disabled plugins and switched them on one by one.

Finally, I’ve shifted the site to a development area and upgraded PHP to version 7 and the problem persists. All old items and images display correctly. I’ve also tried changing themes.

Are there any K2 and IIS web-server incompatibilities?
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Andrew.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #172158 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 src and cache not writing
This probably points to file ownership issues. Are you able to upload something on the site using e.g. the K2 Media Manager?

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Andrew
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #172168 by Andrew
Replied by Andrew on topic K2 src and cache not writing
Hi Fotis, thanks for getting in touch. Yes, no problem uploading via the media manager.

I’m not sure if this adds anything more to solving the problem but I cannot upload an avatar image to the K2 user profile. Still, nothing in the error logs and I get the success message as though everything is fine.

I can also successfully add attachments via the Attachments tab and they display on the article.

After looking at the param paths (image v attachment) both are structured in a sensible manner.

• Andrew
More
4 years 10 months ago #172171 by Andrew
After looking at everything (including checking absolute paths to the server cache/log and testing), I’ve tried reinstalling K2 and downloaded Joomla, unzipped and copied over the files in case something is corrupt. Still no luck.

The image is entering the param (I can see it through the POST option) but it’s just not doing anything inside the K2 cache/src folders. I’ve updated to PHP 7.1. Frustratingly, everything else is working absolutely fine throughout the site.

Is there a particular trigger that starts the image creation in the k2 cache folder?

Thanks

More
4 years 10 months ago #172173 by JoomlaWorks
I'm thinking the upload library we use may not be compatible with IIS. What exact version of IIS are you using and on which Windows Server release?

---

• Andrew
More
4 years 10 months ago #172205 by Andrew
Hi, thanks for getting back in touch. I think it’s IIS 10 and Server 2016. It was working pre-upgrade. I did update the server/IIS too though. In fact, K2 has been working impressively until now.

More
4 years 10 months ago #172211 by JoomlaWorks
The PHP library used for these uploads was upgraded a couple of times in recent releases, so that could be the issue. Otherwise, it may relate to the fact that you changed hosts and perhaps the setup is not identical. You need to turn error reporting to maximum and do a backend image upload. See what error appears there. If none is displayed, check the logs (the PHP error log will be different to Joomla's log).

If nothing works for you, I could have a look for you. Just use www.joomlaworks.net/support/contact to send me temporary super user access.

---

• Andrew
More
4 years 10 months ago - 4 years 10 months ago #172224 by Andrew
Thanks. Part of the issue is that I keep getting a success message and therefore, no errors write to the logs. The K2 media section (and browse to server) work fine. Sadly, the thumbnail generation and multiple image sizes don’t trigger leaving the src and cache empty. I have full debugging turned on and developer level logging but no issue is being reported. I’m going to try a rebuild as a next step. I’m using GD2 (not GD) - would this cause any incompatibilities? I was also wondering if using paths with \\ (possible seeing the first \ as an escape?) may help solve the issue. I discounted this though due to attachments working properly.

More
4 years 10 months ago #172230 by JoomlaWorks
Actually, attachments also pass through the same library so it looks like uploads work. When you hit save, K2 will POST the data and then redirect to the items page or the item edit form itself. So it's difficult to see the message unless you locate the relevant function and do an "exit;" Look up your logs in case something is written there.

If not, let me know and I'll give you some guidance to troubleshoot further.

---

• Andrew
More
4 years 10 months ago #172232 by Andrew
Thanks Fotis. All logs are clear. Any pointers about where to look will be helpful.