Keyword

warning - failed loading XML

• Mitzi Gilbert
  • Mitzi Gilbert's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #178131 by Mitzi Gilbert
warning - failed loading XML was created by Mitzi Gilbert
I am also getting this warning message when I updated the Simple RSS Reader to 3.8.0. When I disable his module, the warning disappeared. I ran a check through the W3C and it was a valid feed. I also checked the wordpress account and updated the url to https (it was http before). I changed the info in the backend of the module "Enter RSS feed to fetch" to: laortho.wordpress.com/feed

When I turn on the module - I still get the warning message and the there is nothing coming from the feed (blank space).
Any other suggestions? My site is: www.laortho.org/ (note that I turned off the RSS Feed Reader for now until I can fix this).

thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 1 month ago #178143 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic warning - failed loading XML
@Mitzi Gilbert I just tested your feed and have no issue fetching it. Screenshot: jmp.sh/3ygxAfA

Can you configure the module in some internal/hidden page and temporarily set error reporting to maximum in Joomla's Global Configuration?

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Mitzi Gilbert
More
3 years 1 month ago #178158 by Mitzi Gilbert
Replied by Mitzi Gilbert on topic warning - failed loading XML
Yes, I configured the module in some internal/hidden page and temporarily set error reporting to maximum in Joomla's Global Configuration. I can send you a screen shot if you let me know how. Here is the warning content on the page under the "failure loading xml"

Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /home/customer/www/laortho.org/public_html/templates/laoi7/library/Artx/Content/SingleArticle.php on line 95

In the module the error message is: Warning: Parameter 2 to modChrome_artblock() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/customer/www/laortho.org/public_html/templates/laoi7/html/modules.php on line 39

Warning: Parameter 3 to modChrome_artblock() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/customer/www/laortho.org/public_html/templates/laoi7/html/modules.php on line 39

Here is the warning on the right Module - the module title does appear.
LAOI News

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/customer/www/laortho.org/public_html/modules/mod_jw_srfr/tmpl/default/default.php on line 35

thanks

More
3 years 1 month ago #178161 by JoomlaWorks
If your Joomla site fails to load the feed, it's most likely that allow_url_fopen is disabled on your hosting account.

As for the warnings, all relate to something else (mostly in the template) and the last one (which is from our module) occurs because there is no data to render. I'll put a check there so these warnings don't come up in any case.

The issue remains though that retrieving external content is blocked on your host - and believe on this, SRFR has all the possible methods to retrieve feeds remotely, but it can't bypass server-level restrictions.

---

• Mitzi Gilbert
More
3 years 1 month ago #178162 by Mitzi Gilbert
Interesting... SiteGround is the hosting company and they made some changes - just removed the cpanel to "site tools". I will check with them. Thanks so much for your reply (and wisdom).

More
3 years 1 month ago #178163 by JoomlaWorks
You're welcome.

Do let us know what happens. It might be useful to other SiteGround users in the future... ;)

---

• Mitzi Gilbert
More
3 years 1 month ago #178171 by Mitzi Gilbert
I heard back from SiteGround and the allow_url_fopen is NOT disabled.

So here is their reply:
"I would suggest that you consult with the developer whether the feed requires a specific port to be open for outgoing connections towards the IP of laortho.wordpress.com."

Note that I checked my Sophos computer protection and did not find anything that was blocked there.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks,
Mitzi

More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #178176 by JoomlaWorks
There is no "required" port. I'm surprised about their answer.

It's a feed parsing module. You just throw a URL in it and it fetches that URL. It's as simple as it gets. As I mentioned already, I tested that feed and it was fetched just fine.

If SiteGround does not block allow_url_fopen, then you may have some PHP override in the form of a php.ini or .user.ini file, or even inside your .htaccess file (presumably from a previous host). Additionally, check that the "FTP layer" is not enabled in your Joomla site's Global Configuration settings.

In any case, to test things out, simply create a test.php file in your site's root and add this code in:
<?php
if (ini_get('allow_url_fopen')) {
    echo 'allow_url_fopen is enabled';
} else {
    echo 'allow_url_fopen is disabled';
}

Then call this /test.php file in your browser to see what it outputs.

Let me know.

---
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by JoomlaWorks.

• Mitzi Gilbert
More
3 years 1 month ago #178184 by Mitzi Gilbert
The FTP layer in Global Config is not enabled.

I created a file in the site's root called test.php - and then copied your code in that file.
I then typed in the browser www.laortho.org/test.php and got a 403 Forbidden page.

I do use Admin Tools, but there has never been an issue with the RSS Reader.

New idea?
thanks!

• Mitzi Gilbert
More
3 years 1 month ago #178190 by Mitzi Gilbert
I did another test and uploaded the Simple RSS Reader on another site (also hosted by SiteGround).
After uploading the module, I checked on the module settings and the message was "module XML data not available".
So this issue is not unique to: www.laortho.org/

I clearly see that something is blocking this access. Any other thoughts?