Keyword

How the heck do I upload videos to my site? nothing works!

• Ric LaFollette
  • Ric LaFollette's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 years 11 months ago #2373 by Ric LaFollette
At first media manager said wrong file type, so I added the file type extensions to joomla.php in Includes like I read on another forum,  so when I go to upload now, it seems to be working, but then no video gets uploaded in the end.

Also, I can't upload videos through ftp, because I can't find the stories/video directories anywhere in com_media.  why can I see the images folder in it though?

What am I doing wrong?  Please help me out. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Ric LaFollette
  • Ric LaFollette's Avatar Topic Author
More
16 years 11 months ago #2374 by Ric LaFollette
I figured it out, but now I have a new proble, why won't the video play?

its a wmv

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #2375 by webwannabee
Hi, I have the same problem you had :) Just wondering what you did about it (and I hope you can get your vids to play now).  I posted asking here: forum.joomlaworks.net/index.php?topic=626.msg1934#msg1934  so you get an idea 
what I did. I am a 'noob' too lol.
*Now we BOTH have the same problem (having spent hours figuring it out in my noobish way, I now have a player 'running'(loader icon going round and round, can see the 'player' but video never plays)..I even converted my mpg to a flv, and added 'flv' to the array in admin.media.php in administrator/components/com_media/admin.media.php

More
16 years 11 months ago - 16 years 11 months ago #2376 by Canuck
I have never used media manager so I can't help you there, and I have no idea what to do in admin.media.php, as that is way over my head as well and have never gone there either.
For the past 7 months I've used Filezilla to upload my movies (about 18 gigs worth so far) to folder I created called 'movies'.

In the Joomla control panel > Mambots > AllVideos Plugin, I typed in 'movies/' whre it says 'Local Video Folder'.

If your movie is called mymovie.wmv you need to type it into your content like this, {wmv}mymovie{/wmv}. Note that .wmv is excluded, it's only the movie's name.

Hope that helps.

More
16 years 11 months ago #2377 by webwannabee
@Darthlafollette- did u get it working yet? I did (but very pooly, not smooth at all)
Maybe I could help- noob to noob  ;D

More
16 years 10 months ago #2378 by moisea
hi; i just installed AllVideos 2.4but don't have a clue set it and make it work. how do i display AllVideos2.4 on  page i would call  "video". i understand "{wmv}movies{/wmv}" has to be pasted where i want the videos to be diplayed.
i want to be able to link it to a menu item and get a page dedicated just for videos. how do i achieve that?
many thanks

More
16 years 10 months ago #2379 by Canuck
Go to Joomla Control Panel
Create a Section:
>Content > Section Manager > Click the New button at top right > Give it a Title  (Video) and Section Name (Video) > Save

Now Create a Catagory:
>Content > Category Manager > Click the New button at top right > Give it a Title (Video) and Category Name (Video) > Save

Create a Menu Link:
>Menu > Mainmenu > Click the New button at top right > Select Blog - Content Category > Next > Give it a Name (Video) > Select the Category you made > Save

Now post your Video:
> Content > Content by Section > Video > Video Items > Click the New button at top right > Give it a title > Section will be Video > Select Video Category > Insert your information for the movie > Save

Log out. On your site in the main menu you will see the Video link, click on it and there is your video on its own page. Add as many videos as you like.

More
16 years 10 months ago #2380 by JoomlaWorks
If you want to easily upload videos and even preview them (the FLV/SWF ones), simply install the JW Media Manager XTD admin component - download it from www.joomlaworks.net .

This way you want need to mess up with the code.

After that, just read the instruction in the plugin's parameters page. Mambots >> Site Mambots >> AllVideos.

And follow Canuck's very useful tutorial on setting up your content in the end and categorizing your videos.  ;)

PS Thanks Canuck!

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
16 years 9 months ago #2381 by debharper
Thank you, Canuck for being so explicit.  Often what is obvious to some people is not so obvious to others, especially to newbies like myself.  Reading your post helped me go from a high level of frustration to really loving this plugin.  Thanks again.
:)

More
16 years 9 months ago #2382 by Canuck
Your welcome, I'm glad to hear I was able to help  :)