Keyword

Replacing Flash Videos - New Coding?

• mwebster
  • mwebster's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 5 months ago #173577 by mwebster
Replacing Flash Videos - New Coding? was created by mwebster
Hello,

We have many videos on our website through Flash using the coding: {flvremote}{/flvremote}

We need to change this to something that's not Flash before the end of the year. Does anyone know alternate coding that might work? It's been so long since we set this up that I can't recall how it was done, so if anyone might be able to help me figure that out, that would be greatly appreciated, too.

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 5 months ago #173579 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Replacing Flash Videos - New Coding?
AllVideos v5.x will not playback FLV files anymore, but it does offer the option to download the media for local playback.

If you plan on converting all .flv files to say .mp4 files, then you only need a way to rewrite all such {flvremote}http(s)://path/to/remote.flv{/flvremote} strings to {mp4remote}http(s)://path/to/remote.mp4{/mp4remote}. And there are a couple of ways you can do that. But you need to specify what's your plan first...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• mwebster
More
4 years 5 months ago #173596 by mwebster
Replied by mwebster on topic Replacing Flash Videos - New Coding?
Thanks for your reply! I should have specified that the videos are actually mp4s, but they are playing back through Flash. The coding is as follows: {flvremote}videoURL.mp4&thumbnailURL.jpg{/flvremote}

I was wondering if there's alternate coding we can simply switch that to that does not use Flash or if changing how they are played back is more complex than that.

• mwebster
More
4 years 5 months ago #173597 by mwebster
Actually, mistyped. It's: {flvremote}videoURL.mp4&image=thumbnailURL.jpg{/flvremote}

• mwebster
More
4 years 5 months ago #173599 by mwebster
We seem to be using the Joomla AllVideos plugin www.joomlaworks.net/extensions/free/allvideos

The coding for them is {flvremote}videourl.mp4&image=thubmnailurl.jpg{/flvremote}. I read that we should just be able to do something like {mp4}videourl{mp4} and I tested this out, but when I do, that line of coding just appears instead of a video player at that place in our site.

More
4 years 5 months ago #173606 by JoomlaWorks
Should be {mp4remote}...{/mp4remote} and you don't need the thumbnail anymore, it's generated client-side.

---

• mwebster
More
4 years 5 months ago #173609 by mwebster
Thanks for that reply. I tried changing it to {mp4remote} and taking out the thumbnail, and I also tried using just the file name and eliminating the full URL, but none of those options worked. They all just showed up as the coding in place of a video player.

• mwebster
More
4 years 5 months ago #173613 by mwebster
I found this coding, which seems to work. A bonus, it still lets us use our thumbnail images, which is nice:

<video src="videoURL.mp4" poster="imageURL.jpg" controls="controls" width="400" height="300" type="video/mp4"></video>

This should avoid the Flash issue and there don't appear to be other problems with it, right? If so, I'm going to begin the long process of swapping out the coding for all of our videos.

More
4 years 5 months ago #173623 by JoomlaWorks
This is what AllVideos does either way. My guess is you're just using the tags wrong.

Have a look at the documentation for the correct tag usage: www.joomlaworks.net/support/docs/allvideos

---

• mwebster
More
4 years 5 months ago #173672 by mwebster
Is there any problem with the coding I copied into my last reply? It is working fine so it seems like the solution. I'm not sure I understand why you followed up with that if there's no issue with it.