Keyword

Playing Flickr videos

• Andy Wilson
  • Andy Wilson's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #176398 by Andy Wilson
Playing Flickr videos was created by Andy Wilson
Hi,

I have found out why it isn't possible to embed flickr videos in my Joomla site. I raised to ticket with flickr tech support and they said:

"....Yes, you are correct: if you would like to share videos from your Flickr account on your website, those videos must be viewed in your (flickr) account. I understand this is an inconvenience, and will definitely pass your great feedback along to the team for consideration. While I am unable to make any policy changes, I will escalate this to the decision making powers that be."

In view of this perhaps the reference to being able to play flickr embedded videos using this code {flickr}123456789{/flickr} should be removed from your compatibility list?

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks,

Andy Wilson

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #176404 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Playing Flickr videos
What they probably mean is that the videos you try to embed are not allowed to be embedded. Not that Flickr videos in general cannot be embedded...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Andy Wilson
More
3 years 8 months ago #176447 by Andy Wilson
Replied by Andy Wilson on topic Playing Flickr videos
Hi Fotis,

Thanks for your reply. You are correct, flickr does not allow videos to be embedded in websites and in fact they will not play at all using Allvidoes, unfortunately. They say that "embedded" videos need to be "linked back to my flickr account", which means I have to "embed" the Flickr Share link on my website, which only shows a thumbnail picture from the video on my website and when it is clicked, takes you back to my flickr account and plays the video there - not on my website, which is useless and nothing like Allvideos working with Vimeo, Youtube etc. They have told me if I embed a flickr video on my website using a third party player it is against their policy and my account could be deleted.

I can provide you with the emails that they sent me if you like. I know you are very busy and this is a free extension and support is very limited, so I am not asking you to try and fix Allvideos not working with flickr. I only suggest you may want to correct your documentation regarding it's non-operation with flickr videos. Perhaps Allvideos once worked when flickr was owned by Yahoo but it doesn't work with now its owned by SmugMug.

Thanks for a brilliant plugin that works perfectly with the other video hosts I use.

Andy

Thanks,

Andy Wilson

More
3 years 8 months ago #176459 by JoomlaWorks
Don't worry, I'll update AllVideos to just use their JS widget. No big deal...

Can you share a couple video URLs on Flickr that you tested before (unsuccessfully)?

---

• Andy Wilson
More
3 years 8 months ago #176490 by Andy Wilson
Thanks, Fotis

Here is a suitable video www.flickr.com/photos/naughtygrandma/49274513796/

Does updating AllVideos to just use their JS widget mean it should fix the issue with flickr videos?

Thanks,

Andy Wilson

More
3 years 8 months ago #176499 by JoomlaWorks
Now that I'm looking at Flickr again, it appears it's indeed not allowing ANY video embed. So, I'm guessing Flickr support will probably be dropped from AllVideos...

---

• Andy Wilson
More
3 years 8 months ago #176513 by Andy Wilson
Thanks for looking into it Fotis,

If I find out that flickr does support external embedding (I have asked them to considers this for Pro members) I will let you know.

Thanks,

Andy Wilson

More
3 years 8 months ago #176517 by JoomlaWorks
Thank you as well.

---