Keyword

Stop k2 from converting png to jpg for item image

• benbogart
  • benbogart's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 6 months ago #57449 by benbogart
When I upload an item image (png 24), k2 converts that image to jpg so I loose my transparency. How can stop k2 from doing this and just serve the image I upload?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #57450 by JoomlaWorks
Don't use the "image" feature in K2 for that case, but upload your image via your WYSIWYG editor (TinyMCE, JCE etc.).

There are various reasons why we convert "K2 images" to JPG. From speed (low file size), to performance (no disk IO checks, less memory for GD to resize the pic), to native restrictions in the PHP conversion library (GD) which really is still crap at resizing PNG-24 images...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• benbogart
  • benbogart's Avatar Topic Author
More
12 years 5 months ago #57451 by benbogart
But then you loose the option to display or not display the image in the category listing and everything else that goes along with a category image.

More
12 years 3 months ago #57452 by Odin Mayland
I hope in the future there will be an option to use transparencies as the item image.

thanks
jeff

More
12 years 15 hours ago - 12 years 15 hours ago #57453 by Laurent van Roy
Replied by Laurent van Roy on topic Re: Stop k2 from converting png to jpg for item image

Benjamin Bogart wrote: But then you loose the option to display or not display the image in the category listing and everything else that goes along with a category image.

I completely agree with you. Admin should have the choice whether to resize as jpg (actual and only possibility), resize and preserve format or no automatic resize !

Is there a wanted feature list somewhere where we can add this ?

More
11 years 11 months ago #57454 by Wouter
Hey guys,

I was looking for the same problem. On this topic I found a hack (you need to edit the core files) And it worked out for me (as you can see on: www.faillissementenoutlet.nl)

Here's the link: www.gavick.com/forums/news-show-pro/how-to-make-transparent-image-png-in-thumbnails-13992.html

More
10 years 3 months ago #57455 by YannisDr
If you hack it, won't it get lost on an update?

Generally speaking, I'd prefer there would be a choice if we want transparency or not. Another possibility is to choose *which* images need to keep their transparency. As an example, I don't need it, but I think that in the future it may be useful if a case that I need transparency come up.

More
10 years 1 month ago #57456 by Joe Campbell
Consider using the following plugin...

Png for K2 Items
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/k2-extensions/25507

It supports, PNG, GIF and JPEG