Keyword

Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2

• Timothy Harden
  • Timothy Harden's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 10 months ago #68245 by Timothy Harden
Replied by Timothy Harden on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
Hey Mark,

It's nice to see a lot of others interested/having the same problems. I know that sounds like a bad thing, but with little documentation it is important to see what other people are doing with K2.

For my Manufacturing site, I needed a quick and simple database of my products. I had many products, but the branches of my "database tree" (i.e. how many subsections I had) were minimal. If anyone has a need similar to mine, the solution I provided is quick and easy.

But lets not forget what József had pointed out. The 'extra fields' feature provides much more depth and customization than using the 'items' method. If you are doing a Real Estate site with many listing, road maps, etc. I would highly suggest looking into extra fields like József said to do. I haven't had much time to play around with 'extra fields,' but as I do I will post any helpful pointers here. Remember to ask as many questions as you need to. There are many people in the forum who would be glad to help you.

As far as your question about search capabilities, there are a ton of great Joomla extensions that will provide you with a good internal search engine for your website. Just add one of these extensions to your Joomla site, and you shouldn't have to do much more than that. It's pretty easy.

Here is a link to Joomla "Site Search" extensions:
extensions.joomla.org/extensions/search-&-indexing/site-search

Good luck, have fun customizing, and come back here if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
Timothy Harden

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #68246 by ssnobben
Maybe use a Sphinx search index engine that would be nice if integrated with Joomla ?

some postings about it here:

forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=471&t=384684

www.jfusion.org/index.php/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3894

www.sphinxsearch.com/forum/view.html?id=3860

More
14 years 10 months ago #68247 by Mark Banks
Replied by Mark Banks on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
Jozsef,
I've worked through the category creation for the property site - and enabled the categories as menu links - straight forward as Timothy described.

I've created a handful of test extra fields (price, bedrooms, bathrooms etc) and have subdivided them into field groups.

But when adding an item the extra field groups/fields are not visible or available in the tabbed item interface.

Somewhere there must be an option to associate field groups to categories - i just can't find it. Any pointers of where to locate it?

The installation is clean without any K2 dummy data.
Kind Regards
Mark

More
14 years 10 months ago #68248 by Mark Banks
Replied by Mark Banks on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
A quick update for anyone following Timothy's instructions above. K2 V2 contains a neat Tools Module which has several functions built in - one of which is a category menu list - still needs to be published but the K2 category list pages are automatically generated.
Mark

More
14 years 9 months ago #68249 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
Moved post to the K2 lounge.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Mauricio González
More
14 years 9 months ago #68250 by Mauricio González
Replied by Mauricio González on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
Hey there! Does anybody know if the "upload image" function on the image tab for every article works if one's working on WAMP server? It seems that it doesn´t copy the image to my server, once i upload it.

Let's say the image WAS uploading successfully, where should i look for it? In the images/stories folder? or just the images folder?

Thanks to everybody in advance.

More
14 years 9 months ago #68251 by LocaLiceR
Replied by LocaLiceR on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
Oooops! Just noticed that I missed this thread and Mark has been waiting my answer regarding assigning the extra fields to the items. Unfortunately I cannot continue with tha above thread, hopefully it'll be good here as well :)

You can assign an Extra field group to a category, on the Add/Edit Category screen.

More
14 years 7 months ago #68252 by Rick Whalley
Replied by Rick Whalley on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
Hi,

I'm just starting to play around with K2, it has huge potential.

I have a VirtueMart (1.1.2) customisation job at the moment, and was wondering if it is possible to use K2 to implement a 'prepaid credit' or a 'gift voucher' style for payment of purchases? (ie:I have $100 credit, buy something for $15 and I still have $85 credit left in my account)

any thoughts and feedback is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards
Rick

More
14 years 5 months ago #68253 by FidelGonzales
Replied by FidelGonzales on topic Catalog Products for Manufacturing Co. Using K2
If you plan on using Virtuemart, expect to run into this issue, which has lingered since several versions back and concerns the ability within the backend admin section to select categories for the product due to an Ajax conflict.

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/k2-conflict-w-virtuemart-ajax

If all that is necessary is a list with no serious e-commerce functionality, perhaps other than Paypal or similar payment gateway, then K2 may be an excellent choice, due to its extensive templating at the article and category levels. Much can be done in the way of populating pages and/or categories with relevant content, such as RSS news feeds and onsite content, which I use to bolster SEO on those specific pages. Add to that the use of the extra fields offered in K2, and you could have a very dynamic, feature rich and user friendly product catalog.

Otherwise, for the sake of simplicity and a less extensible platform, Wordpress may be a better platform for quick deployment and customer manageability.