Keyword

Assign multiple Extra Field Groups to Categories

• Mark Banks
  • Mark Banks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 9 months ago #68903 by Mark Banks
It would be very useful to be able to assign 2 or more extra field groups to categories, especially in a listing or catalogue type implementation of K2.

For example - real estate/estate agent listings (only because I'm trying to implement this now) ;-)
All categories could be assigned an extra field group that contains 'common' extra fields - price, property size, postcode, agent name etc
Some categories - assigned a secondary extra field group - internal room info, local amenities, utilities etc.
Some categories (i.e. land, rentals) - assigned extra field group comprising category specific extra fields only

IMO this would further add to the existing flexibility of the framework.
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mark Banks
  • Mark Banks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 9 months ago #68904 by Mark Banks
Replied by Mark Banks on topic Assign multiple Extra Field Groups to Categories
Following on from above - if possible - have the multiple extra field groups associated with a category displayed in the back end in their own tabs - see image 2.

This could enhance the way the extra fields are displayed front end on the item detail page by separating out the multiple extra fields into distinct groups.

Also the ability to alter the default text (additional information) that currently appears on the item detail page - each extra field group could have its own relevant heading displayed on the item page.

More
14 years 9 months ago #68905 by Michael Currey
Replied by Michael Currey on topic Assign multiple Extra Field Groups to Categories
I thought about this too... and I have a similar request. To be able to assign an extra field to multiple groups...

More
14 years 8 months ago #68906 by ssnobben
I agree and also if you can add an item (article) to more than one category/subcategory as you wish...

Also make it possible to have more "Addon on options" for link (pages) on "Add/Edit Extra Field " as you can do with others like drop down select, multi

More
14 years 6 months ago #68907 by Terry Visser
Replied by Terry Visser on topic Assign multiple Extra Field Groups to Categories
I don't think multiple tabs is the best way.

I've "hacked" K2 a bit and now i have the extrafield that are assigned to the category and the parent category.

example
Parent cat = Products extra items are Price, Size, Weight....
sub cat = TV extra items are inches, remote, text, hdmi and he has from Products Price, Size, Weight
sub cat = vcr extra items are tuner, 8mm, and also has Price, Size, Weight.

This way ur parent has all the extrafield that all the items and that category should have and the extra items from it's category..

The code i used isn't that nice but it works...

More
14 years 5 months ago #68908 by Juan
Terry Visser said:I don't think multiple tabs is the best way.
I've "hacked" K2 a bit and now i have the extrafield that are assigned to the category and the parent category.

example
Parent cat = Products extra items are Price, Size, Weight....
sub cat = TV extra items are inches, remote, text, hdmi and he has from Products Price, Size, Weight
sub cat = vcr extra items are tuner, 8mm, and also has Price, Size, Weight.

This way ur parent has all the extrafield that all the items and that category should have and the extra items from it's category..

The code i used isn't that nice but it works...

Hi terry, could you gime me a hint about what you have done? needing to do the same...

More
14 years 2 months ago #68909 by Ilja Höltke
Replied by Ilja Höltke on topic Assign multiple Extra Field Groups to Categories
Hi terry,
that feature seems to be very interesting to me, too. I am building a repository database for different kinds of pdf-files. The entries share a lot of extra fields and some not. Toavoid doubling my idea is to divide them to different groups which will be assigned to different categories. Is that possible? Could You give some hints on that? Kind regards! Ilja

More
13 years 5 months ago #68910 by tasos26t
Hi Terry,

Is it possible to guide me on how to go around this code to be able to assign multiple extra field groups to categories?

Thanks,
Tasos

Terry Visser said:I don't think multiple tabs is the best way.I've "hacked" K2 a bit and now i have the extrafield that are assigned to the category and the parent category.exampleParent cat = Products extra items are Price, Size, Weight....sub cat = TV extra items are inches, remote, text, hdmi and he has from Products Price, Size, Weightsub cat = vcr extra items are tuner, 8mm, and also has Price, Size, Weight.This way ur parent has all the extrafield that all the items and that category should have and the extra items from it's category..The code i used isn't that nice but it works...

• Mohamed Abdelaziz
  • Platinum Member
  • Joomla Developer
More
10 years 11 months ago #68911 by Mohamed Abdelaziz
Replied by Mohamed Abdelaziz on topic Re: Assign multiple Extra Field Groups to Categories
Just in case someone reads this post and needs this feature, look at this plugin in my signature: Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2

Multiple Extra Fields Groups for K2
AutoMeta for K2
Chained Fields for K2
More K2 Extensions In My Extensions Store