Keyword

PLEASE HELP!!!Displaying K2 content on the "normal" Joomla Frontpage

More
14 years 8 months ago #69971 by Lydia
Hello!

Is it possible to display K2 content on the "normal/standard" Joomla frontpage?

I would love to be able to display normal and k2 content on the frontpage.
Is this possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69972 by Wesley Phibbs
I am having this problem also, i was looking for a frontpage option like joomla has, i dont see that option, so i am going to try make a module that will go in the position where frontpage usually loads stuff. ill let u know how it goes

More
14 years 8 months ago #69973 by Manny Santos
Just point your home menu to a k2 category list ( either one or multiple categories).
In the back end, choose: Menu > Main menu > Change type > K2 > Categories

More
14 years 8 months ago #69974 by Bryan Smith
you could accomplish this by publishing the k2 content module to a new position. Just type a module position name "mynewposition" where you normally would select one of the preexisting in your template. Make sure the module is set to display on the home menu link.

Then create an article and use the {loadposition mynewposition}. Publish that article to the front page.

That should do it.

You can do lot's of cool things by loading modules into content!

More
14 years 8 months ago #69975 by Wesley Phibbs
So i have put the K2 Content module to a new position "user5" and then edited the index.php file to put it in a div right after user1/user2 "in the default joomla template" seems to have got it loading were i want it to, but i dont understand that loadposition mynewposition} thing for articles, it that allows u to load any article (item) in any position, that does sound good.

Lownotes said:you could accomplish this by publishing the k2 content module to a new position. Just type a module position name "mynewposition" where you normally would select one of the preexisting in your template. Make sure the module is set to display on the home menu link.
Then create an article and use the {loadposition mynewposition}. Publish that article to the front page.

That should do it.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69976 by Bryan Smith
no, you have it backwards. Although there are ways to load content into a module.

What I'm talking about is loading a module into content.

This way you can get a an article that loads into the content area of your home page that has a module in it. Anywhere you call that article from, the module will show in the body of the article.

If you put the article onto the home page, then the module will show in the middle of the page, along with any other front page articles.

There is no code editing this way.

another cool thing you can do with loadpostion is that you can also run a category of articles through a content rotator (tabs/slideshows/carousel), each article uses load position to load a different moduel and then you can nest modules into a single position.

Wes said:So i have put the K2 Content module to a new position "user5" and then edited the index.php file to put it in a div right after user1/user2 "in the default joomla template" seems to have got it loading were i want it to, but i dont understand that loadposition mynewposition} thing for articles, it that allows u to load any article (item) in any position, that does sound good.
Lownotes said:you could accomplish this by publishing the k2 content module to a new position. Just type a module position name "mynewposition" where you normally would select one of the preexisting in your template. Make sure the module is set to display on the home menu link. Then create an article and use the {loadposition mynewposition}. Publish that article to the front page.

That should do it.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69977 by FidelGonzales
I haven't bothered reading through the entire forum thread, but I have looking to accomlish a clean looking front page as well.

The cleanest look I have so far is through the use of the K2 Content Module as published upon the front page. This looks great, considering the way the lead photos of each article lays out. Everything is compact and consistent, which is a far different result than seen on the K2 component page.

The problem I have encountered using this method is when attempting to publish two modules - one for the most recent items and the second for the more dated items. Variables to highlight the most recent is not yet available in the module. The problem is that the parameters do not work in the same way the mini front page module does for default Joomla content, where you can skip a number of articles that are already published in the initial module that hosts the most recent items.

Another problem with doing this is that now your K2 content inherits the menu name and subsequent URL for the component versus using it as root, which if changed at a later date could cause even more SEO snafus. I view the biggest problem with Joomla is this method that it inherited with the release of Joomla 1.5.

Anyhow, I would like to use the K2 as the default menu item but have yet to achieve the desired effect.

More
14 years 8 months ago #69978 by FidelGonzales
By the way, I did not necessarily want to do this, but as an example of publishing articles on the Joomla Frontpage Component page, which is the default homepage where the K2 Content Module is used to publish K2 items, see the link.

www.unlimiteddirt.com/

This may change, but I have tried numerous methods of using the default Joomla Frontpage as well as K2 as the default front page. Since I do not like the output of K2 as the default front page, I tried to configure the K2 menu item to publish none and use the module to publish the content in its place. But the K2 front page then publishes a lot of empty space and produces an error.

The other methods I have tried thus far are not worth mentioning, as they are many and all produce undesirable effects or errors.

More
14 years 5 months ago #69979 by Andria Duncan
I can't say I understand any of this. What do I do with my existing frontpage articles? turn off the "frontpage" selection for the article, or what? And where does "featured" come into it?

I like my frontpage just the way it is, so why do I need to do anything to it? I wanted to try out K2 for the ability to add extra fields to some articles, such as reviews of books or extensions or what-have-you.

I'm using the "Jungle" template, though I have modified the colors, I really loathe green though the template is well organized, so is this a real benefit to the K2 program? I checked out the templates at Joomlapraise, but the only ones that support K2 are the ones you have to pay for, so scratch that right out.

This really does look like an awesome program, but it's hard to tell for sure, so let's say it again REAL LOUD:

WE NEED SOME DOCS IN THE WORST POSSIBLE WAY!!!!!!!!

Is anybody listening?

Andria