Keyword

Frontend Ajax Editor Issue

• Lou Griffith
  • Lou Griffith's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 9 months ago #70042 by Lou Griffith
Frontend Ajax Editor Issue was created by Lou Griffith
Is there a way so that when you click on the outside of the ajax window, its doesnt do anything? Right if you click outside of the window you loose everything you have just written. Also can we have the ability to not have it open in a ajax window if this can't be fixed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #70043 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
Hi. No there is not an option for this but if you know a little HTML and Javascript you can change the default behavior.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Lou Griffith
More
14 years 9 months ago #70044 by Lou Griffith
Replied by Lou Griffith on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
Thanks! Can this be resolved in future releases? I am not well versed in Ajax and I am sure it has caused users some angst. Thoughts?

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. No there is not an option for this but if you know a little HTML and Javascript you can change the default behavior.

More
14 years 8 months ago #70045 by Lex Machina
Replied by Lex Machina on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. No there is not an option for this but if you know a little HTML and Javascript you can change the default behavior.

I know html and can read JS, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to fine the file the ajax front end editor code is even in. Anyone help me out here?

More
14 years 8 months ago #70046 by Lex Machina
I've managed to find the css for the window, but I'm not well versed enough and having problems "changing the default behavior" enough to keep it from chopping off at the bottom for a user with a screen res of 1024x600

I'm having them right-click the "add item" and "edit item" links to open the editor in a new tab or new window, to avoid the popup problems [including lost work on clicking outside the window] but there HAS to be a solution for these issues, because frankly, it's just stupid that I have to even suggest a workaround like this, let alone have my users implement it.

Can anyone help me out? Even a simple redirect to open the editor in the current window and then redirect back to the originating link page after submitting would be something... at least to them, it would appear that it worked. I just don't know enough to code it myself.

More
14 years 8 months ago #70047 by Lex Machina
dave said:anyone making any headway on this issue? Looking for usable workarounds right now. Not getting very far...

This thread has had better luck. Haven't tried it out myself just yet, but thought I should share the news:

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/frontpage-edit-window-size?page=1&commentId=3536014%3AComment%3A6566&x=1#3536014Comment6566

• Lou Griffith
More
14 years 8 months ago #70048 by Lou Griffith
Replied by Lou Griffith on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
Thanks for posting Lex - I'm going to take a look.

Lex Machina said:dave said:anyone making any headway on this issue? Looking for usable workarounds right now. Not getting very far...

This thread has had better luck. Haven't tried it out myself just yet, but thought I should share the news:

k2community.joomlaworks.gr/forum/topics/frontpage-edit-windo...

More
14 years 8 months ago #70049 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
Hi. The login session duration can be changed through Joomla! configuration.

dave said:Thanks for the link Lex... but I had been on that topic before. It was helpful in showing me how to resize the modal window (lightbox)... but I want to get out of the lightbox window altogether and just edit on a new page or in a pop-up window.
If anyone is getting closer to discovering how to do this please post here!

I also am having timeout issues in the modal window... where editors are getting kicked out and losing their work on an article. Very very frustrating. I am still kind of confused as to why this modal window was even implemented into K2 in the first place. I dont mean to come here and only provide criticism, but it is by far the most unstable feature of this component that I have seen so far.

Anyone else getting timeout issues when staying in the editor for too long? Could this just be a problem with my server settings somehow?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
14 years 8 months ago #70050 by 2ninerniner2
Replied by 2ninerniner2 on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
This issue has been my absolutely biggest gripe with K2 since the beginning, and IMHO, HAS to be changed for the next release! I have a lot of clients who are not too thrilled with it the was it is now, and why I have "adjusted" it as follows:

To change the size of the Modal Front End pop-up editor for all instances:

Find this code: handler:'iframe',size:{x:990,y:650}

… and replace with values that fit your requirements; I chose 910px and 510px which gives a nice all around margin, including the “Close X”, on a laptop with 1,024 x 768 resolution.

1.components/com_k2/templates/user.php
- line 46
- line 107
2.components/com_k2/templates/default/category.php
- line 47
3.components/com_k2/templates/default/category_item.php
- line 31
4.components/com_k2/templates/default/item.php
- line 30
- line 111
5.modules/mod_k2_login/tmpl/userblock.php
- line

Alternatively, and what I am now doing with all my client K2 – enabled sites is to have the editor open in a new tab/window (target = _blank). This has the added benefits of:

- not inadvertently leaving the Item “locked” if one clicks outside the pop-up and closes it; once “Submit” has been clicked and the “Item Saved” is displayed, the new Item show up in the K2 Item listing in the “proper” (unlocked) state
- one can have more than one Item Editor “tab” open; may come in handy, but again, watch the 'time-out' issue

Here's how I changed the code in ALL of the above locations (may or may not be appropriately “elegant”, but it works :) )

- replace:

a class="modal" rel="{handler:'iframe',size:{x:990,y:650}}

- with:

a target="_blank"

Maybe I am just “old-fashioned”, but I believe Lightboxes are great for photos, etc., but anything that has to do with a “program's” functionality sould be provided within it's environment; a more consistent experience for the user, especially the casual or non-tech end user (i.e. the client! :)

Now, if we could ONLY get the PROPER buttons! Save, Save & New, Apply, Cancel ... my next "quest" :)

More
14 years 8 months ago #70051 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Frontend Ajax Editor Issue
We have addressed this in version 2.1 coming this Tuesday, Sept. 8th, 2009.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---