Keyword

Great component, but why ning?

• Jesse Dundon
  • Jesse Dundon's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #70838 by Jesse Dundon
Great component, but why ning? was created by Jesse Dundon
I just wanted to let you know that k2 is an awesome component. However, I do find it rather disheartening that such a kick-ass joomla developer like joomlaworks would create a ning community for a project like k2.

I realize that you need to be politically prudent and avoid what could be seen as an alliance with any other joomla developer, but you could have achieved something way better than this ning community in less than a day with jomsocial and kunena. I find the features, search, and layout of the ning substandard for its purposes. You should also be utilizing k2 in your own community! Come on now. If you pay for a jomsocial license I'll build the k2 community for free!

For example, I want to post a tutorial on adding a feature to k2, but have no idea how to add in code to the forum. I guess I'll try it out here:
Code in a div in code tags with angled brackets
Code in a div in code tags with square brackets
Code in a div in pre tags with angled brackets

Code in a div in pre tags with square brackets

Code in a div

Let's see if it works... no preview button in the ning forum though so I have to publish it to see...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jesse Dundon
  • Jesse Dundon's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 8 months ago #70839 by Jesse Dundon
Replied by Jesse Dundon on topic Great component, but why ning?
Low and behold, it appears that we cannot add in code at all! The div got either cut out or parsed in all of my attempts. Pretty worthless forum for an open source software community that relies on collaboration as a major source for spreading knowledge, building features, and making k2 better...

More
14 years 8 months ago #70840 by Erebrum
Replied by Erebrum on topic Great component, but why ning?
Yeah no code at all on ning... And also i must say i see your point especialy for practical side ot things ... This "forums" will become more of a mess as post count starts to grow further ... No good view, tracking of topics, code... Yep you have a point there...

Jesse Dundon said:Low and behold, it appears that we cannot add in code at all! The div got either cut out or parsed in all of my attempts. Pretty worthless forum for an open source software community that relies on collaboration as a major source for spreading knowledge, building features, and making k2 better...

More
14 years 8 months ago #70841 by Bryan Smith
Replied by Bryan Smith on topic Great component, but why ning?
agreed.

try uploading a txt file of code is the only thing that I've seen working

More
14 years 8 months ago #70842 by Lex Machina
Replied by Lex Machina on topic Great component, but why ning?
Not only that, but it was previously hosted on the joomlaworks forum, and I think the lack of support around here is thanks to the fact that the people who were responding to support requests, even as knowledgeable users, are all still over there.

K2 support has essentially been relegated to the kiddie table.

"Woohoo!! 1054 Members at the K2 community website in a little over a month" and we're all looking for support, that isn't here. And somehow this is a good thing?

More
14 years 8 months ago #70843 by Olaf Veerman
Replied by Olaf Veerman on topic Great component, but why ning?
Lex Machina said:Not only that, but it was previously hosted on the joomlaworks forum, and I think the lack of support around here is thanks to the fact that the people who were responding to support requests, even as knowledgeable users, are all still over there.

The old forum is not active anymore, the last post is almost a month old. The few that were active on the old forum giving support, are either here under different usernames, or just gave up. People join, are very active for a few weeks, but then the lack of posts from the developers or other users just takes away their enthusiasm. Somehow, the forum never gets 'momentum'.

More
14 years 8 months ago #70844 by FidelGonzales
Replied by FidelGonzales on topic Great component, but why ning?
I have got to agree. The original forum was far more intuitive and conducive to receiving superb support and fostering forward thinking dialogue.

I have noticed there are still some holdouts on the forum, who have been recently posting there in spite of the switch. It would have been easy enough to clone the forum onto a domain or sub-domain dedicated to K2, removing all the other forum categories that are not relevant. With such a genius component, it baffles me as to the logic used to arrive at Ning.

More
14 years 8 months ago #70845 by d.k.shukla
Replied by d.k.shukla on topic Great component, but why ning?
I am agree,developer must use different platform for forum so forum will be more organize,it will help to get relevant user feedback and useful discussions.
We will hope that developer will certainly think to change forum platform.

More
14 years 7 months ago #70846 by Nick
Replied by Nick on topic Great component, but why ning?
i REALLY don't want K2 to be declared dead. I JUST finally managed to get my super awesome anime site going. If i don't get my hidden extra fields, i'm gonna hire ninja assasins to bring me T3H L33T DEVS so they can freakin' tell me what function is used in php to echo empty values so i can hide the fields!!!!