Keyword

Module search loses context

• Alan Sparkes
  • Alan Sparkes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72026 by Alan Sparkes
Module search loses context was created by Alan Sparkes
Search results which are produced by using the tools module in search mode do not return an Itemid with the result.
This leads to a loss of all module positions, sub nav etc when clicking thru on to a search result.

I have categories published as menu items so thought K2 search would run through Menu items and look for published category. Appears not though....

Actually on closer inspection it picks up published categories bu t not individual k2 items published in menus.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72027 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Module search loses context
Hi. K2 does search for Itemid so please ensure that you are using the latest version with the bundled template files.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72028 by Alan Sparkes
Replied by Alan Sparkes on topic Module search loses context
dave said:is the latest version v2.0_build20090806.zip ???

i am using that version. Where an article in a category is a menu item - as opposed to the category - then the itemid is lost...

More
14 years 7 months ago #72029 by Lefteris
So you are saying that when you have created a menu link to an item then the search result has not the correct menu Itemid? I still cannot confirm this. You can try on the K2 demo site. Try to search for "Samsung SMX C10GP ". You will see that the result will correctly display the alias ( which means it founds the correct Itemid ).

Alan Sparkes said:dave said:is the latest version v2.0_build20090806.zip ???

i am using that version. Where an article in a category is a menu item - as opposed to the category - then the itemid is lost...

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72030 by Alan Sparkes
Lefteris Kavadas said:So you are saying that when you have created a menu link to an item then the search result has not the correct menu Itemid? I still cannot confirm this. You can try on the K2 demo site. Try to search for "Samsung SMX C10GP ". You will see that the result will correctly display the alias ( which means it founds the correct Itemid ).
Yes this is what I mean. I will check and recreate and post a url. I notice on the samsung search their is no active parent id or class on the menu item, ie I thought 'digital' would have a parent css class to identify it as active. This is a different issue than what I report on but is part of the contextual path to where one is in te structure of a site.

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72031 by Alan Sparkes
OK. So i checked this out.

The scenario is this.

Category 'X' is published in Joomla menu. Item 'pageX' is published in the category 'x' in K2.

If you search k2 for the title of 'pageX' then it shows up but no item id is supplied. I woul d have thought it might have picked up the id heirarchically. Eg check for item, then category. Since the category is published and not the item there is no context/Itemid assignment for the search result.

I suspect that using the K2 module for rendering navigation gets around this but it doesnt work for my needs which is to split a menu and keep its context/Itemids intact.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72032 by Lefteris
Hi. K2 does search hierarchically so there might be some other kind of problem. Can you please post a link to your site?

Alan Sparkes said:OK. So i checked this out.
The scenario is this.

Category 'X' is published in Joomla menu. Item 'pageX' is published in the category 'x' in K2.

If you search k2 for the title of 'pageX' then it shows up but no item id is supplied. I woul d have thought it might have picked up the id heirarchically. Eg check for item, then category. Since the category is published and not the item there is no context/Itemid assignment for the search result.

I suspect that using the K2 module for rendering navigation gets around this but it doesnt work for my needs which is to split a menu and keep its context/Itemids intact.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• Alan Sparkes
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 7 months ago #72033 by Alan Sparkes
Ah, Decide yesterday to not use K2 but to go with standard joomla setup and have uninstalled. :(

I think what might have been different/unusual was the existence of multiple menus in the menu manager. There was no duplication and I know this isnt helpful having nothing specific to test.....

Will happily share url on next K2 or a dev install when i get it running.

Decision to not use K2 was really multifaceted if you are interested. It was to do with not knowing the plugin methods and whether additional plugins would play nicely or future plugins. Mostly it was about the level of depth required for the project - the nested categories were initially a problem solver but it turns out that a flatter structure was also OK and preferred. Lastly , the site was multilingual and I couldnt see a way of getting attachments to only show different language files or allow uploads of alternative language files using JoomFish and the time given to deliver.
And interestingly, I had a "1.6 is coming" concern about upgrades and if multi categories was the main choice then Joomla 1.6 might be a safer route. Finally the K2 serialised data storage formats used by extended elements. Although the serialised data has some future proofing qualities, I liked the fact the ZOO CCK stored its extended data in xml in the database. It made it humanly readable and easier to edit directly if the occasion arose. Sadly they have no functionality for allowing attachments to articles which is a serious omission.

Thanks for pursuing this with me and sorry i cant show a url!

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. K2 does search hierarchically so there might be some other kind of problem. Can you please post a link to your site?
Alan Sparkes said:OK. So i checked this out. The scenario is this.