Keyword

how to get rid of the leading>primary>secondary>links order!

• krmr
  • krmr's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #72044 by krmr
appologies for posting similar issue from the Getting started category but I desperately need help to solve this issue. I am not sure is it a bug, a lack of variables settings in the backend, or I do not get the logic, so:
when a menu item points to a.category with x. number of subcategories, the list if items produced both by com_k2, and by mod_k2.content goes through the following cycle (as far as I can see in the code)
1. all leading items from each category, 2. all primary items from each cat., 3. all secondary items from each cat., 4. all links from each cat.
This is ok, when the content displayed from a single category, but when there are 6 categories this logic creates a messy order, especialy when there are no images to distinguish the leading>primary... order.

Please, if ayone knows how to avoid this cycle through changes in the code, that would be extremely helpful. Otherwise I simply should give up, and I try my best not to, for its a great component.
If this is of help, I suspect the code, following after line 250 (//Assign data) in view.html.php creates the cycle...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72045 by Lefteris
Hi. What exactly are you trying to do? The primary , seconday etc are just layout options. The ordering of items can be changed with the relative parameter.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• krmr
More
14 years 7 months ago #72046 by krmr
Hi, thanks for your reaction. yes, they are layout options, but are fixed and ordering can be changed to certain degree.
ok. here is an explanation:
1 category (empty), 9 subcategories, 5 items in each subcategory.
menu item calls the category with items from subcats displayed, order by ORDER.
the result i wish: all items from cat.1 (ordered) followed by all items from cat.2. (ordered)..all items from cat.9 (ordered).
the result so far is: items list: first: leading items from all subcats, followed by primary items from all subcats, followed by secondary items from all subcats... till links from all subcats.
and this can not be changed by any settings in the backend!!! or i miss something?
the option order, orders categories, but then the leading, primary etc. take over
here is the link to the website in development: newpiron.seminar-bg.eu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=2&Itemid=78
could you, please suggest a solution!

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. What exactly are you trying to do? The primary , seconday etc are just layout options. The ordering of items can be changed with the relative parameter.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72047 by Lefteris
I still can't get what you are trying to do. So lets keep your example and just tell me what you want your output to be. If you want to have a global ordering you can use the "featured ordering".

krmr trzv said:Hi, thanks for your reaction. yes, they are layout options, but are fixed and ordering can be changed to certain degree. ok. here is an explanation: 1 category (empty), 9 subcategories, 5 items in each subcategory.
menu item calls the category with items from subcats displayed, order by ORDER.
the result i wish: all items from cat.1 (ordered) followed by all items from cat.2. (ordered)..all items from cat.9 (ordered).
the result so far is: items list: first: leading items from all subcats, followed by primary items from all subcats, followed by secondary items from all subcats... till links from all subcats.
and this can not be changed by any settings in the backend!!! or i miss something?
the option order, orders categories, but then the leading, primary etc. take over
here is the link to the website in development: newpiron.seminar-bg.eu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item...

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. What exactly are you trying to do? The primary , seconday etc are just layout options. The ordering of items can be changed with the relative parameter.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• krmr
More
14 years 7 months ago #72048 by krmr
ok. i want my output from the menu item (category) to be:
category
subcategory 1: leading;primary;secondary;links (order)
subcategory 2: leading;primary;secondary;links (order)
subcategory n: : leading;primary;secondary;links (order)
---
pagination off
-
there is a simillar ordering on the home page of k2. demo, and there there is the same problem: it starts with 3 items from category "Bikes" on page 1 (thats what i want), but then on p.2 the items output is not clear: from cat.bikes, then cat.snowboard, then again cat.bikes...

hopefuly i have been more clear

Lefteris Kavadas said:I still can't get what you are trying to do. So lets keep your example and just tell me what you want your output to be. If you want to have a global ordering you can use the "featured ordering".
krmr trzv said:Hi, thanks for your reaction. yes, they are layout options, but are fixed and ordering can be changed to certain degree. ok. here is an explanation: 1 category (empty), 9 subcategories, 5 items in each subcategory. menu item calls the category with items from subcats displayed, order by ORDER.
here is the link to the website in development: newpiron.seminar-bg.eu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item...

More
14 years 7 months ago #72049 by Lefteris
Hi. The layout options ( leading, primary etc ) are appended on all items of the page and not per category so this cannot be done. Maybe creating different pages per category is what you want to do.
krmr trzv said:ok. i want my output from the menu item (category) to be: category
subcategory 1: leading;primary;secondary;links (order)
---
pagination off
-
there is a simillar ordering on the home page of k2. demo, and there there is the same problem: it starts with 3 items from category "Bikes" on page 1 (thats what i want), but then on p.2 the items output is not clear: from cat.bikes, then cat.snowboard, then again cat.bikes...

Lefteris Kavadas said:I still can't get what you are trying to do. So lets keep your example and just tell me what you want your output to be. If you want to have a global ordering you can use the "featured ordering". krmr trzv said:Hi, thanks for your reaction. yes, they are layout options, but are fixed and ordering can be changed to certain degree. ok. here is an explanation: 1 category (empty), 9 subcategories, 5 items in each subcategory. menu item calls the category with items from subcats displayed, order by ORDER. the result i wish: all items from cat.1 (ordered) followed by all items from cat.2. (ordered)..all items from cat.9 (ordered).

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• krmr
More
14 years 7 months ago #72050 by krmr
ok, I got it, but find it is a terrible limitation, that prevents the proper ordering above single category level.
This applays not only to the page layout, but also to the functioning of mod_k2content.
I am trying to make a list of all items from 1 global category and its children cats, and want that list to have the exact order of articles per sub-category, not messing the order by primary/sec/links.

Hm, that's strange, there should be workaround to this.I can't believe this is overlooked in the component development, but keeping in mind its open source at the end of the day, I still find K2 s by far the most advanced tool and I hope this can be corrected in future releases and I can come back to it.

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. The layout options ( leading, primary etc ) are appended on all items of the page and not per category so this cannot be done. Maybe creating different pages per category is what you want to do. krmr trzv said:ok. i want my output from the menu item (category) to be: category subcategory 1: leading;primary;secondary;links (order)
---
pagination off
-

Lefteris Kavadas said:I still can't get what you are trying to do. So lets keep your example and just tell me what you want your output to be. If you want to have a global ordering you can use the "featured ordering". krmr trzv said:Hi, thanks for your reaction. yes, they are layout options, but are fixed and ordering can be changed to certain degree. ok. here is an explanation: 1 category (empty), 9 subcategories, 5 items in each subcategory. menu item calls the category with items from subcats displayed, order by ORDER. the result i wish: all items from cat.1 (ordered) followed by all items from cat.2. (ordered)..all items from cat.9 (ordered). the result so far is: items list: first: leading items from all subcats, followed by primary items from all subcats, followed by secondary items from all subcats... till links from all subcats.

More
14 years 7 months ago #72051 by Lefteris
Hi. This is cannot be accepted as an issue or a bug. This is how it works. And i agree with you it doesn't make any sense to select displaying items from multiple categories and choosing to order them by ordering, as ordering is applied per-category. If you want to have cross-category ordering you can use the "featured order".

Tina said:I have encountered the same problem, and had to notice that it's impossible to order the items served by subcatheories in a main cathegory by the "item ordering number".
I don't know what you guys had in mind when programming that, but it definitly does not make any sense. The Items coming from subcathegories and retrieved through the main-categ submenu are a pure mess. There is no ordering, and no matter how much I try ton adjust those options in the cathegory, it does not lead to anything.
Sorry guys, but even the item re-ordering option does not seem to work, and this is definitly not OK.
And still don't know if there is a work-around it or not, but when I set up a menu item and define the options, than I definitly expect those definied options to be obeyed, and this is unfortunatelly not happening.

Are you planning to fix the issue any time soon?

For any kind of article publishing, this is a serious limitation, and makes the whole thing partly ... well .. useless :-(

Thankx

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

• krmr
More
14 years 7 months ago #72052 by krmr
Hi Lefteris, ty for the attention.
Please try to understand what the problem is. I have the feeling you do not want to get into it.
There is logic in ordering rule by subcategory, preveiling the order by group assignment in catview+chilgdren cats activated, stronger than what it is now.
If not, why bothering then making a tree in the construction component? A tree is a hierarchy and is good to be able to stick to that tree structure on every level of views?

@Tina, if you come across a code modification solution or any other workarrond, please let us know!

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. This is cannot be accepted as an issue or a bug. This is how it works. And i agree with you it doesn't make any sense to select displaying items from multiple categories and choosing to order them by ordering, as ordering is applied per-category. If you want to have cross-category ordering you can use the "featured order".
Tina said:I have encountered the same problem, and had to notice that it's impossible to order the items served by subcatheories in a main cathegory by the "item ordering number". I don't know what you guys had in mind when programming that, but it definitly does not make any sense. The Items coming from subcathegories and retrieved through the main-categ submenu are a pure mess. There is no ordering, and no matter how much I try ton adjust those options in the cathegory, it does not lead to anything.
Sorry guys, but even the item re-ordering option does not seem to work, and this is definitly not OK.
And still don't know if there is a work-around it or not, but when I set up a menu item and define the options, than I definitly expect those definied options to be obeyed, and this is unfortunatelly not happening.

For any kind of article publishing, this is a serious limitation, and makes the whole thing partly ... well .. useless :-(

Thankx

• krmr
More
14 years 7 months ago #72053 by krmr
Hi, ok. I solved the cross kategory view ordering by skipping the category tree at all, and using a combination of tags in one category and menu item calling tag in the category. Now my problem is that in the view - display items by tag, there is no author field in the item view, and whatever I did in the tag-item.php I cant get the author visible.
Any ideas on this?

krmr trzv said:Hi Lefteris, ty for the attention. Please try to understand what the problem is. I have the feeling you do not want to get into it.
There is logic in ordering rule by subcategory, preveiling the order by group assignment in catview+chilgdren cats activated, stronger than what it is now.
If not, why bothering then making a tree in the construction component? A tree is a hierarchy and is good to be able to stick to that tree structure on every level of views?

@Tina, if you come across a code modification solution or any other workarrond, please let us know!

Lefteris Kavadas said:Hi. This is cannot be accepted as an issue or a bug. This is how it works. And i agree with you it doesn't make any sense to select displaying items from multiple categories and choosing to order them by ordering, as ordering is applied per-category. If you want to have cross-category ordering you can use the "featured order". Tina said:I have encountered the same problem, and had to notice that it's impossible to order the items served by subcatheories in a main cathegory by the "item ordering number". I don't know what you guys had in mind when programming that, but it definitly does not make any sense. The Items coming from subcathegories and retrieved through the main-categ submenu are a pure mess. There is no ordering, and no matter how much I try ton adjust those options in the cathegory, it does not lead to anything. Sorry guys, but even the item re-ordering option does not seem to work, and this is definitly not OK.

Thankx