Keyword

Proper Menu Links for Front End Editing

• Chris Whitfield
  • Chris Whitfield's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #74099 by Chris Whitfield
Proper Menu Links for Front End Editing was created by Chris Whitfield
I know this isn't the first time this has been posted, but I wanted to throw my bit in as well. I use Community Builder on my site and I am sure many others use other social site components that have their own login module or even completely customized login modules of their own. For CB, I am able to create menu items quickly and easily for the Login/Logout and profiles etc inside of my own menus. For K2 on the other hand, I am forced to either use your module (which is painful to customize since I'm not a big coder) or to get into custom coding to extend K2. While that is all well and good, since that seems to be the spirit K2 was designed in, you still haven't published any API info and, lack of easy access to the menus goes against some of why Joomla exists in the first place. Please please please either add the K2 login module items as available in the standard menu system, or augment the K2 Login module so I can add custom links in there without having to custom code.

Fortunately, in the meantime, I got around the issue by using Rereplacer to duplicate your login module link as it appears in View Source in place of a place holder menu item that I created. I tried simply creating a link to the URL that maps to the Add Item link, but that makes it launch to a new page that doesn't close prperly. Instead, I duplicated the modal window bits as well so it shows up properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #74100 by Marco Elric
Replied by Marco Elric on topic Proper Menu Links for Front End Editing
"duplicating the modal window bits as well so it shows up properly. "

can you tell us how you do it? PLEASE.

• Chris Whitfield
  • Chris Whitfield's Avatar Topic Author
More
14 years 6 months ago #74101 by Chris Whitfield
Replied by Chris Whitfield on topic Proper Menu Links for Front End Editing
Marco Elric said:"duplicating the modal window bits as well so it shows up properly. "can you tell us how you do it? PLEASE.

As I said above, I grabbed a product from the add-ins repository on Joomla.org called 'Re-Replacer'. This is an add-on that can dynamically replace any source code with anything else you want. I then put the K2 login module on the page and browsed to it. I then right-clicked on the page and selected 'View Source' and did a search for the text on the Add Item link. I copied the open and closing tags around the text. I then created a dummy button on the menu where I wanted the Add Item to appear. Once again I did a View Source and searched for the text on my dummy button. I copied it's entire tag as well. I then went into Re-Replacer and told it to look for that specific set of code and to replace it with the code from the add item button. After that I could remove the K2 Login module and it all worked great.

More
14 years 4 months ago #74102 by Eugene Brown
Replied by Eugene Brown on topic Proper Menu Links for Front End Editing
Thank you for the information.

I've followed your instructions, including finding the relevant 'View Source' code, but I'm not sure what to copy as my coding experience is non-existent.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

Chris Whitfield said:Marco Elric said:"duplicating the modal window bits as well so it shows up properly. "can you tell us how you do it? PLEASE.

As I said above, I grabbed a product from the add-ins repository on Joomla.org called 'Re-Replacer'. This is an add-on that can dynamically replace any source code with anything else you want. I then put the K2 login module on the page and browsed to it. I then right-clicked on the page and selected 'View Source' and did a search for the text on the Add Item link. I copied the open and closing tags around the text. I then created a dummy button on the menu where I wanted the Add Item to appear. Once again I did a View Source and searched for the text on my dummy button. I copied it's entire tag as well. I then went into Re-Replacer and told it to look for that specific set of code and to replace it with the code from the add item button. After that I could remove the K2 Login module and it all worked great.