Keyword

Differentiate between frontpaged items for categories

• bunglehaze
  • bunglehaze's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
More
14 years 6 months ago #74673 by bunglehaze
Hi there folks, would it be possible to add some form of functionality that could differentiate between items that are listed elsewhere on the site to avoid doubling up on content in other areas, by this I will leave an example because I know that is perhaps a confusing statement.

On my site I am using the content module to pull 5 items each from 2 categories, these are the most recent items naturally. In another section of my site which lists all the content categories I want K2 to display a few stories but as it is now the stories are the same as the ones already listed on my frontpage.

I looked at using the featured tickbox but this then prevents the stories from showing under the categories page totally, instead it would make more sense to be able to add a fuction that allows you to skip the items listed on the frontpage and start at the 6th newest article.

Obviously as you can probably guess I dont have a clue how I would go about doing this and perhaps am not explaining myself very well at all so here are 2 link examples.

Link1 shows the site frontpage where I choose to display the latest 5 items from the motorcycle and site new section and the product releases section:

www.bikechatter.co.uk

Link2 shows the articles category listings which contain all the other categories of which the motorcycle and site news and product releases are sub categories:

www.bikechatter.co.uk/articles.html?layout=category

As you can see there the same few items from the frontpage are showing, if there was a way to only show the items that are not already displayed that would show the site users more content without having to clikc through the categories.

On a similar note though if the content module were more configurable it would be easily done in the same way at the frontpage but rather than use the image for each article I would prefer it to show the first article with an image but show the following (3-4) in an unordered list - the same as is on the motorcycle news site (or similar) www.motorcyclenews.com

any ideas or has anyone managed to template their content module to do something similar?

leigh :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.