Keyword

K2 categories grid look

• Miguel
  • Miguel's Avatar Topic Author
More
10 years 2 months ago #125465 by Miguel
K2 categories grid look was created by Miguel
Hi:
I'm new on joomla and k2 and I would like to know if it is possible to display the K2 categories like has been done on this page:
joomla-templates.joomlart.com/ja_mendozite/index.php/k2/list-all-categories

I would like to display all categories in a grid mod (columns).
I'm using joomla 3.2.2 and i have tried to add to the menu different modules like categories or Latest items from (one or more) users or categories but doesn't display the categories or not at least as how are displayed on the site mentioned before.

How can i do that? is needed an external module / plugin to do that?

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #125466 by Lefteris
Replied by Lefteris on topic Re: K2 categories grid look
Hi. As i can tell from the source code this is a menu link to a single category named " All Categories ". Then just bellow are displayed the category children. So in order to achieve this :

1. Create a top category. Put all your categories under this top category.
2. Edit the top category and under it's settings set Leading count, Primary count, Secondary count and Links count to 0. Also set Catalog mode to Yes. Finally set the "Sub-category handling" options as you desire.
3. Create a menu link to the top category.

This should give you a result like the link you posted.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Miguel
More
10 years 2 months ago - 10 years 2 months ago #125467 by Miguel
Replied by Miguel on topic Re: K2 categories grid look
Hi:

Thanks i had done that before (not the settings of Leading count, Primary count, Secondary count and Links count to 0).

I reconfigured that but the main problem is that is also displayed the "root category"

I was unable to add the attachment so i uploaded it to a image host:

I would like to remove "Children categories" (doesn't have sense on this case but will be usefull to have it if you click on a category that after has subcategories) and remove the parent "Productos (0)" with the whole box (just to give the visitor the impression that this category called "Productos" doesn't exist.

Thanks.

More
10 years 2 months ago #125468 by John Morris
Replied by John Morris on topic Re: K2 categories grid look
Miguel, I am doing the same thing on my site. The problem with my situation is I cannot get the categories to show up in the order I want them.
But, what I like about the root category showing up is, you can enter in a nice description of what the page is all about, so you'll have the root category telling your visitors what you are selling. And, there are plugins for K2 that allow for multiple categories, so you can create more then one root category and put your sub categories under each root.
For example, you are selling furniture, you could create a root category called Living Room, then create sub categories for all the furniture that goes into a living room, then you can create a root category called Bedroom, then you can create sub categories for everything that goes into the bedroom. And you can assign your K2 Items to more then one category, so you could assign the Dresser or the Armoire to the root category of Bedroom, and you can also assign it to the category Armoire to be displayed with the 20 other armoires you may have for sale.
Although, I would like to know how to be rid of the Children Category text too, I am sure it's in the code and we just need to track it down and change it.
Install FIREBUG on your browser and you'll be inspect where the Chidlren Categories is coming from and you'll be able to change it. I just have not gotten there yet, I am still struggling with the ordering of my categories, once that is fixed, then I'll work on the Children Categories getting rid of that text.
John

• Miguel
More
10 years 2 months ago #125469 by Miguel
Replied by Miguel on topic Re: K2 categories grid look
Hi jmorris:

Yes i found how to remove it.
You can follow this steps:
getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/174-templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

Compy the content of the templates to /templates/YOURJOOMLATEMPLATE/html/com_k2/

After you do that you can open default/category.php and edit what you what, there is the "Children categories" text (K2_CHILDREN_CATEGORIES).

I also removed the "Productos" that is the main category and i don't want it to be displayed there.

I'm on the way to create a customized template that i think will make a better approach of what i need.

Best regards

More
10 years 2 months ago #125470 by John Morris
Replied by John Morris on topic Re: K2 categories grid look
Great information thanks Miguel!!!!!