Keyword

Convert Tables from MyISAM 2 InnoDB 4 Performance?

• Sylvias
  • Sylvias's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #126820 by Sylvias
I upgraded to k2 v2.6.8 and i noticed it did not change the database table type to InnoDB.

So, I ask:

1- Will there be an issue if I manually change the table types myself to InnoDB and is there something I shoyuld do after I change the type in order to have K2 tables be InnoDB for better performance?

2- What is the reason InnoDB only starts with new k2 installations?

Thank you.

"In solidarity, unity and support; we the K2 Community, will stand together and committed; to growing, improving and maximizing the amazing the system K2 truly is!" -- Sylvia

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Franz Wohlkönig
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 11 months ago #126821 by Franz Wohlkönig
Replied by Franz Wohlkönig on topic Re: Convert Tables from MyISAM 2 InnoDB 4 Performance?
Hy,

@2: "The switch to InnoDB does not apply to existing installations as we wanted to avoid any potential upgrade issues with folks using K2 on large websites with crappy hosts. Better safe than sorry... " - from Fotis-Blog.

Regards

• Sylvias
More
9 years 11 months ago #126822 by Sylvias
I actually only have less than 40 articles right now and I have an excellent host.

Do you think it is fine if I manually change the database table type to InnoDB?

"In solidarity, unity and support; we the K2 Community, will stand together and committed; to growing, improving and maximizing the amazing the system K2 truly is!" -- Sylvia

• Franz Wohlkönig
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 11 months ago #126823 by Franz Wohlkönig
Replied by Franz Wohlkönig on topic Re: Convert Tables from MyISAM 2 InnoDB 4 Performance?
Hy,

what i found by searching this forum: getk2.org/community/English-K2-Community/190573-Sorry-K2#191017

Regards

• Sylvias
More
9 years 11 months ago #126824 by Sylvias
I was able to convert most tables on the latest K2 on joomla 2.5.19 to InnoDB from MyISAM, except the following:

***_k2_tags
***_k2_extra_fields_values
***_k2_items

phpMyAdmin gave me the following error:

"#1214 - The used table type doesn't support FULLTEXT indexes"

Do I change them back? Everything appears to be working fine without the above 3 databases staying as MyISAM.

What should I do?

More
9 years 11 months ago #126825 by Lefteris
@Sylvias

Hi. You first need to drop the indexes of type "FULLTEXT" on those tables. Then you will be able to convert them to InnoDB.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Sylvias
More
9 years 11 months ago #126826 by Sylvias
Lefteris, Thank you, but if you don't mind, allow me one more question.

To each of the above mentioned k2 tables that would not convert to InnoDB i did the following in phpMyAdmin:

1 - I chose the K2 table >> "Structure" >> "+ Indexes"
2- I dropped all "FULLTEXT" indexes types.
3- Under "Operations" I was now able to change database table from MyISAM to InnoDB

So now all k2 tables are InnoDB and k2 is working great!

My, question, does it look like all is good with what i did?

More
9 years 11 months ago #126827 by Lefteris
@Sylvias

Yes, this is how it should be. InnodDB does not support FULLTEXT indexes. The latest version of K2 does not use them in it's code. If you don't have any third-party extensions that are querying the K2 tables then everything should be fine. Otherwise you will get a nice error message.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #126828 by shoulders

Sylvias wrote: Lefteris, Thank you, but if you don't mind, allow me one more question.

To each of the above mentioned k2 tables that would not convert to InnoDB i did the following in phpMyAdmin:

1 - I chose the K2 table >> "Structure" >> "+ Indexes"
2- I dropped all "FULLTEXT" indexes types.
3- Under "Operations" I was now able to change database table from MyISAM to InnoDB

So now all k2 tables are InnoDB and k2 is working great!

My, question, does it look like all is good with what i did?

I am not a noobie, but could you just explain your steps 1 and 2. I am not sure what to click on in phypmyadmin to sort this index issue. I have converted all the other tables as per previous posts.

_k2_extra_fields_values was not present though.

Any Help would be appreciated