Keyword

Copyright and license for a plugin i made

• shoulders
  • shoulders's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #129247 by shoulders
Hi,

I am new to making Joomla plugins and i am stuck. Now that i have made my new plugin i am unsure about the license.

Basically what can i fill in as me below in the plugin's xml file. Can i fill in that i am the author?, can i change the copyright to mine? should i leave the license as it is or can i change it if i need to?

I have used code i have written, i have used the k2 search plugin and other code from K2
  • <author>
  • <creationDate>
  • <copyright>Copyright (c) 2006 - 2014 JoomlaWorks Ltd. All rights reserved.</copyright>
  • <authorEmail>This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • <authorUrl>
  • <version>0.1.2</version>
  • <license>www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html GNU/GPL
  • <description>

Thanks

shoulders

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #129248 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: Copyright and license for a plugin i made
You can change the references to JoomlaWorks is your .xml file, but according to the GNU/GPL license, you must keep the copyright blocks inside the .php files.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• shoulders
More
9 years 9 months ago #129249 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic Re: Copyright and license for a plugin i made
brilliant, a quick follow up:

I have used the k2 search.php for a starter so leaving the copyright block at the top is easy. What do i do when i have copied partial code from other K2 files or other places.
  • do i have to copy the code from the top of every file i have borrowed stuff from and paste it above each piece of code i have used?
  • can i just put a link to where i got the code from?
  • if i have altered code blocks i have copied, what do i do about the copyright blocks for that piece of code, it 's partly mine and partly K2s?

I want to do this right, but i dont want messy code that is 6 miles deep in copyright text.

More
9 years 9 months ago #129250 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Re: Copyright and license for a plugin i made
If your entire work is based on the default K2 plugin, then you should keep the copyright blocks.

If you have only copied parts of the plugin to use in an entirely new plugin, then you don't need to provide any acknowledgements.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• shoulders
More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #129251 by shoulders
Replied by shoulders on topic Re: Copyright and license for a plugin i made
thank for the help.

I have based my search plugin on the k2 search plugin but have used my new code, and code from the K2 main component for the extra filtering etc..

so,

i will leave the copyright block for the search plugin as that is what i started with and i do not need to put copyright for all the other code blocks i have used.

and

All the author stuff and copyright in the XML file i can change to my details.

Really has helped me has this., tar