Keyword

List itemsin category only if they contain a tag?

• Brian Huether
  • Brian Huether's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago #134045 by Brian Huether
Hi, I am sure there is a way to do this in K2, just not sure how. This is related to my previous post. I have a category- Working Groups - for which there will be various items. News, Documents. At the same time, I need Documents to be standalone so that I can list them irrespective of the Working Groups. So I decided to create document category and subcats. Now in Working Group category view, I want to be able to list the documents associated with a group. But since the documents are categorized as documents (otherwise I would have to add so many categories...such as WG-Docs-Doc1, etc, etc, etc which would negate the purpose of Docs being standalone) I need to use a tag or something so that in the WG category view it knows to display something from Category Documents which contains tag Working Group 1, for instance.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134051 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic List itemsin category only if they contain a tag?
The K2 content module does not display items by tags by default. There are however several extensions for this posted at the JED or getk2.org/extend/extensions

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #134060 by Nate Hunter
Replied by Nate Hunter on topic List itemsin category only if they contain a tag?
I would create each item and tag them something like "docs"
in your menu create a top level menu item that is a text separator called "Work Groups" then below that create menu items to display K2 tags. one called "documents". If you go to one of my sites www.studenthousingbusiness.com the menu item The latest news is a category that all the news articles are in. Then the other menu items below that display articles based on K2 tags. This way they are all Latest news but then you can drill down to specific categories inside the latest news. Work groups doesn't necessarily NEED to be a category, it could just be a menu separator that links a bunch of related content into a single menu.

• Brian Huether
  • Brian Huether's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 5 months ago #134073 by Brian Huether
Replied by Brian Huether on topic List itemsin category only if they contain a tag?
Hi, I could not view your page. I got the following

403: Access Forbidden

Your location (DE) has been blacklisted.

I think I sort of have things working now with the Multiple Categories plugin. But now I am trying to see how I can control display. For instance, when someone clicks Working Groups, they will see

[Description]
[Documents for the group]
[News for the group]
[Events for the group]

But this is not with tags. I agree, tags would be better. But with K2, to display items in category view based on tags is awkward. If as you say it is easier through a menu, then I would need to somehow render a menu's output to the category page. Do you know if that is possible?

On unrealted note, I just realized there are no free event management extensions for K2, which is messing up my current JEvents. So in the end I may have o just revert to Joomla Articles though I really like K2!

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134082 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic List itemsin category only if they contain a tag?
I think you got it wrong here Brian.
You might need to display tags based on categories.
By mapping certain tags to menu items you can limit the results to these views to certain categories/y .

As for events, I think you can do this for free with default K2 items (-1 extension, -extra load on your site).

You can handle all the dates with extrafields. You can use different ordering and a different template as well.
The only catch is that you would need a K2 plugin so you can have ordering by extrafields (for the dates).

Another way around it, would be that the created date is the event's date and the published date is the current day.
I think it is worth a try.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)