Keyword

[SOLVED] K2 Catalog Mode - crop images for square thumbnails

More
9 years 5 months ago - 9 years 5 months ago #134901 by alexp
K2 2.6.8
Catalog Mode
Joomla 3.3.0

Hello, I'm new to K2 and this forum. I can see that this topic has been posted but I can't seem to find any definite responses/answers. The links just take me back to the posts. Confused.

Sorry for the long posting. Trying to be succinct. Any clarification or guidance greatly appreciated.

I've communicated with OSTraining, but they were unfamiliar with this area of K2.

Problem restated:
Need to be able to crop an Item image (in center) to accommodate a square thumbnail on the category or sub category pages. i.e. images with horizontal and vertical formatting.

What I've been able to find:

- Style Ware's Mass Resize of K2 Images Including Crop.
Recommended in the 2012 OSTraining video on getk2.org site,
www.getk2.org/documentation/k2class2012/865-k2-template-and-overrides

www.styleware.eu/store/item/38-mass-resize-of-k2-images-including-crop

Is this still the recommendation? Is this working for people?

- Style Ware offers a patch, recently updated for K2 2.6.8. This appears to be free of charge. Though it might not work in K2 v3 when it's released.
www.styleware.eu/forum/Free-extensions/1269-K2-Patch-to-allow-crop-of-images

Is this patch something different than Style Ware's "Mass Resize of K2 Images Including Crop"?
Confused why a product is offered for purchase, but then a patch to do what appears to be the same function is offered for free(?).

I have not come across any other extensions/plugin that (confidently) offers these specific functions in relation to K2 Catalog Mode. But maybe I don't know where to look yet?

I've also found forum postings describing the option to make code changes - I am not a programmer, but this project will be working with one, so I could have them do this if that's the appropriate solution ( Joomla 3.3.0). Is this the appropriate solution?

www.slurpitup.com/joomla/tips-and-tricks/how-to-create-square-thumbnails-in-k2-for-joomla-1-5
www.gavick.com/forums/general-discussion/k2-images-height-limit-16270.html

Or… if I am totally on the wrong track and should be looking at some other CMS product than K2, I welcome that feedback as well.

Thanks!
Last edit: 9 years 5 months ago by alexp. Reason: clarity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
9 years 5 months ago #134921 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic K2 Catalog Mode - crop images for square thumbnails
Hello,

I think the question about Styleware's products should be addressed at their developers.

You can also proceed without an extension and do the cropping with CSS directly in your template (the developer will know how to do this).

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
9 years 5 months ago #134932 by alexp
Thank you Krikor!