Keyword

Intermittent Front End Edit Issue

More
5 years 9 months ago #168406 by Sean
Intermittent Front End Edit Issue was created by Sean
One of my client sites is no longer able to edit items from the front end, but only from a specific category.

I have triple checked there are no template overrides being used. I also cleared the Joomla! cache and server caching several times to no avail. I reinstalled latest K2 release and also the sh404SEF K2 plugin without effect.

This message contains confidential information

When clicking the 'Save button' it behaves as if the 'Close button' was clicked on and exits to the homepage via "/index.php#". The same happens with all the 'tab buttons'. There are no JS errors occurring which makes this much more confusing. I am basically running a bare bones Joomla! installation. There appears to be no conflicts occurring base don what I can see.

If I try editing any other category, the front end editing works just as expected.

I searched the forum for similar posts but found none. I searched the web and found nothing either.

I am hopeful you may have some suggestions on how I can further troubleshoot this issue. I am happy to provide any related information that may be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #168410 by Krikor Boghossian
Replied by Krikor Boghossian on topic Intermittent Front End Edit Issue
This is really weird, I will not lie about it.
SInce you know your way around Joomla! and development, check to see if all necesssary scripts have been loaded.
If that menu is using a different template
or, if there are any JS errors printed the moment you click on the buttons.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

More
5 years 9 months ago #168437 by Sean
Replied by Sean on topic Intermittent Front End Edit Issue
After exhausting normal code review and troubleshooting, it became apparent that there is some kind of issue with the latest Joomla! release. My guess is the 3.8.9 release, since the 3.8.10 only addresses a but Windows bug introduce in 3.8.9.

Although a different issue, the Breadcrumbs path was not displaying correctly. After a restore from backup this solved the Breadcrumbs issue related to the path generation.

I did a quick review of the K2 item editing and it is still off. I will need to revisit since restoring from backup. But there are no immediate JS errors.

Are you aware of any potential issues related to editing should the path be the problem?

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #168463 by Krikor Boghossian
If shs404sef has cached some URLs and they resolve in errors, then you need to purge the cache of sh40sef.
Also if you are using any performance related extension, can you try disabling them?
Also disable all K2 3rd party plugins to see if that solves the issue.

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
5 years 9 months ago #168471 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Intermittent Front End Edit Issue
@Sean Install K2 from the GitHub repo directly github.com/getk2/k2/archive/master.zip - Joomla removed some classes in 3.8.x I think and this caused frontend editing to break. The final update for K2 is imminent.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
5 years 9 months ago #168531 by Sean
Thanks for the suggestions Krikor & Fotis,

Unfortunately this is having no effect. All of the button/tabs links are still not working, but only within the single category with no overrides for the editing template.

The only change noticed was the 'item editing view' is now opened in a modal window that does not disappear, even after closing it. Not sure if this is an actual issue or a side effect, but the issue stacks, as in the resulting modal borders stack within themselves, only way to correct it is to manually enter URL.

I also tested and verified within multiple categories, since the issue was only affecting a single category.

I wanted to ask if the K2 CSS is required for the editing to work correctly? I have turned off the K2 CSS styling and just use the template styling. This should not be an issue as far as I know, but could be. I know in the past some changes have required adjusting of the CSS for display purposes.

I am looking at doing a rebuild of the website in question, pending your feedback.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #168545 by Krikor Boghossian
Are you using any 3rd party K2 plugins or any other content plugins which are executed in that category?
Also do try to enable the CSS.
Finally is that category using a different template?

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
5 years 9 months ago #168548 by Sean
I am only using one third party plugin that I designed. It is a very simple gmap embed plugin that accepts only coordinates. The other plugins are Joomlaworks plugins, mostly the generic K2 plugins and sh404SEF K2 plugin.

Enabling the default K2 CSS had no affect.

The affected category is using the same Template but a different K2 Template than the others.

I will be rebuilding the site and see it that does it. If not perhaps it will reveal something new to investigate further. I will provide an update once I know more.

Thanks for your help/time.

• Krikor Boghossian
  • Platinum Member
More
5 years 9 months ago #168552 by Krikor Boghossian
My bet would be on that category's overrides (or a custom script built for these overrides)

JoomlaWorks Support Team
---

More
5 years 9 months ago #168555 by Sean
Krikor,

I did rebuild the site and was able to sort out the issue. There was a glitch reading the override templates. At any rate this issue is solved now.

Thanks for your assistance again.