Keyword

Extremely long TTFB on K2 site

• Dutchman Industries
  • Dutchman Industries's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #170446 by Dutchman Industries
Extremely long TTFB on K2 site was created by Dutchman Industries
Hello,

I will preface this by saying I am not sure if this issue is even related to K2. I would like to at least rule it out, if not fix it.

I have a testing version of the new company site at dutchmantreespade.com/zzdutchmantest live. It frequently suffers from a horrendously long (often 15 seconds plus) Time To First Byte (TTFB) when navigating to a new page. The files affected by the slow TTFB are usually the page document and jQuery or other javascript files, but it varies wildly.

I have seen no signs that it is an SQL issue: there is no sign of resource drain or length queries on the database. I have tried testing other joomla sites on the same host, and I have not encountered the issue at the same frequency (non-joomla sites and joomla test installations very rarely also suffer from long TTFB, but I am quite willing to write that off as being a host/ISP issue and not worry about it). The server has plenty of memory/CPU power to spare: despite the long wait, there is no sign of resource strain anywhere.

I have tried disabling every other plugin and this has no helped. I am currently running Jotcache to help with performance, but it has made no difference on the slow TTFB issue (and I was having the issue long before installing it). Disabling K2 completely breaks the site so it is the one thing I have not been able to definitively test. I have disabled the K2 components I am not using, but again this has not helped.

I know I am basically grasping at straws here, but if anyone has a suggestion to resolve this issue or at least confirm it is not caused by K2 I am desperate for answers. Anything and everything is appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #170449 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Extremely long TTFB on K2 site
TTFB is actually fine. Less than 1 sec in my test. See this: jmp.sh/F676GMD

If you have performance issues, K2 or even Joomla are the last to worry about, especially if you have Joomla caching enabled (stock caching is just fine by the way). K2, specifically, being a unified solution (component & modules & plugins) means it's also better compared to stock Joomla content in terms of overall performance.

jQuery or other JS do affect client-side performance, aka how much time the browser needs to render the content it has ALREADY received from the server. That has nothing to do with what TTFB actually is.

In your case, and since your content is fairly simple, overall site performance is probably affected by your misconfigured or unconfigured cPanel server. I see that your physical server is hosted on LiquidWeb who are known to provide baremetal or virtualized cPanel/WHM hosting using stock configurations (if you call dutchmantreespade.com:2087 is loads up WHM). In other words, your server probably has zero optimizations in Apache, MySQL or PHP caching.

If you control the server, try this: engintron.com/

If you don't, forward the above link to the person who does, accompanied by these optimizations guides: engintron.com/docs/#/pages/Beyond-Engintron-cPanel-WHM-initial-optimal-setup (more on the side menu)

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by JoomlaWorks.

More
5 years 4 months ago #170450 by JoomlaWorks
It's most definitely a server issue as your main site (which seems to be mostly static, spiced up with some PHP) also suffers from latencies when navigating from page to page.

---

• Dutchman Industries
  • Dutchman Industries's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #170483 by Dutchman Industries
Replied by Dutchman Industries on topic Extremely long TTFB on K2 site
I checked with my host, and it was indeed an issue on their end. It has been resolved.

Let this be a lesson: just because site issues are usually self-inflicted, doesn't mean that they are always your own fault.

More
5 years 4 months ago #170495 by JoomlaWorks
Good to know :)

---