Keyword

Limiting Categories in Drop Down Menu

• Nadja King
  • Nadja King's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #170732 by Nadja King
Limiting Categories in Drop Down Menu was created by Nadja King
I have been searching for a long time to try to find some way to communicate ongoing with individual members of my site on my pages privately one on one. I haven't found anything I really like, so thought I would try K2 and create an individual blog for every member. It is for online classes and i want them to be able to post pictures and video, so I set it up so that they can post from the front end as per these instructions.
getk2.org/documentation/tips-a-tricks/201-allowing-users-to-submit-content

Which worked really well. So no problem there.

But I did notice as per the instructions that the you have to get the user to click from a category drop down list.
"Login to the front end of your site, and click the "add item" from the K2 login module.
In the modal window, check the categories drop down and you will see that you can only select those that were set in the User group."

And yes you can select those that you have set up for them, but the problem is for me is that you see every single category, If I set up a category for every single user, there could be hundreds and I don't want them to see those categories that are greyed out and they don't have access to. I am hoping since the program is smart enough to grey them out, that there is a way to tell K2 not to show them at all.

Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you
Nadja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #170756 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Limiting Categories in Drop Down Menu
You could achieve what you want in many ways really. A simpler approach (at least for me) would be to create a single category for these user submissions. If you fine-tune K2 frontend user permissions then users can add and edit only their items. You can create an override for the item edit form in the frontend (the itemform.php file) and preset the category selector to the category for user submissions and then hide it with CSS (so the actual input element is submitted when the form is saved). To display their entries in the frontend, you simply make their user profile link available somewhere to click (like this: getk2.org/show/user/972-individualit).

These 3 steps should cover 100% what you're after.

Unfortunately it's not possible to tie/assign a category to a user as there is no such correlation in K2.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.