Keyword

Huge number of cache files in cache folders

More
4 years 10 months ago #172363 by Zisis
Hello.
I am using latest version of K2 and i have a joomla website with about 8.000 K2 items.
The problem is because of a large number of visitors, a very big number of cache files is produced inside these directories :
1.cache/com_k2
2.cache/com_k2_extended
I am using Joomla conservative caching.
The problem is that my hosting provider has told me that because of the large number of cache files produced the server CPU loads reaches very high numbers, causing problems.
Is there any solution to this?
Maybe reduce caching or disable it only for K2?

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 10 months ago #172375 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic Huge number of cache files in cache folders
Well, it could have been 8.000 Joomla articles and you'd still get as many cache files in /cache/com_content. The problem is not K2 and it's certainly not your 8.000 items. And having 8000 files does not spike CPU usage. It's other factors that do (e.g. bad or no MySQL tuning on your webhost's side).

The problem here is clearly your webhost.

Joomla offers many built in caching options by default, e.g. store cache files in RAM (via APCu or Memcached) if "lots" of file nodes is your webhost's actual problem. So if you have APCu or Memcached available as cache options in Joomla's Global Configuration (it's now set to "File"), switch to those. Then cache files will be created to RAM and occupy zero disk space. If that's not an option, disable caching overall.

But I would strongly recommend moving to another host. Cause what they told you is ridiculous for modern hosting. Siteground, Bluehost, GoDaddy, InMotion and a gazillion other companies offer much better shared hosting. If you're looking for a VM/VPS, look at Contabo in Germany (low prices, excellent specs).

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.