K2 Item Hits

• Red Evolution
  • Red Evolution's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #173704 by Red Evolution
K2 Item Hits was created by Red Evolution
Hi Fotis,

On afloat.ie/ we have been using a hit counter to display article views but unfortunately this doesn't work with the caching system we would like to implement to help speed the site up. We have implemented a new page counter using an svg image to track and increment the hits and would like to completely turn off the K2 one rather than just disabling it in the frontend. We found that this isn't possible currently so is this a setting that you would be able to implement in the backend settings?

Dave
The topic has been locked.
More
4 years 4 months ago #173711 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic K2 Item Hits
Sure, it's very easy to add an option. Noted for the next update coming out tomorrow (provided it's a matter of adding a switch to enable/disable the relevant item model method call for hits).

For the record I have an incomplete solution to be implemented early 2020 with a JS based way to keep track of hits and bypass not just Joomla caching but server caching (like Varnish) as well. The new way to track hits does require an additional DB table though to make things perform better under heavy traffic.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)
  • Red Evolution
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #173714 by Red Evolution
Replied by Red Evolution on topic K2 Item Hits
That's great Fotis, thanks!

Good to hear you have got plans for a brand new hit counting system too, look forward to seeing that next year
More
4 years 4 months ago #173719 by mjmartino
Replied by mjmartino on topic K2 Item Hits

For the record I have an incomplete solution to be implemented early 2020 with a JS based way to keep track of hits and bypass not just Joomla caching but server caching (like Varnish) as well. The new way to track hits does require an additional DB table though to make things perform better under heavy traffic.

This is be a nice feature!

I wait for this too :D
  • Fábio Jordan
  • Nothing like a good coffee to make a better web
More
4 years 4 months ago #173726 by Fábio Jordan
Replied by Fábio Jordan on topic K2 Item Hits
Cool! I have the same problem because of cache and have to count on GA to get better results of hits.

Waiting for this update!
More
4 years 4 months ago #173729 by JoomlaWorks
@RedEvolution I will have the option for disabling item hits on the GitHub repo by today, however I'm postponing the release of 2.10.1 for Monday, so it gets better traction from users.

---
  • Red Evolution
  • Premium Member
More
4 years 4 months ago #173769 by Red Evolution
Replied by Red Evolution on topic K2 Item Hits
Thanks for the update Fotis, look forward to seeing the next version. In reference to your larger update coming next year, I mentioned it to our server guy and he said that that sounds like it would still be hammering mysql with hit data and that the modern, secure performant method that all iPhone apps are using is to use Redis as it's literally made for that purpose. It's also being adopted by websites and it's what he has used for his override hit counter on the clients site. Perhaps something worth looking into to see how easily you can tie it into K2.

Dave
More
4 years 4 months ago #173770 by Franz Heine
Replied by Franz Heine on topic K2 Item Hits
Hi Fotis,

if weve updated to 2.10.0. already. Is there a need for 2.10.1?
Or are you just "tuning" a bit?
More
4 years 4 months ago #173789 by JoomlaWorks
@Red Evolution v2.10.1 is out now with a switch for hits. Thank you for the suggestions.

@Franz Heine You should update to v2.10.1.

---
More
3 years 4 months ago #177483 by Victor
Replied by Victor on topic K2 Item Hits
Hello Fotis, it is Victor.

There is any DOCS or tutorial where we can see how to implement this JS API in the front for tracking the item hints?

Thanks!
Victor