Keyword

403 forbidden when trying to change k2 settings

• nick
  • nick's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #175801 by nick
The local test site is now working perfectly, thanks. So it's not a K2 issue.
I also downloaded and installed the complete site onto my local computer (I'm using XAMP) - and the K2 settings work fine!
So the issue is only with the live site. I've reinstalled Joomla on the live site as suggested, but it made no difference.

I don't know if any of this helps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• nick
More
3 years 11 months ago #175803 by nick
RESOLVED
It was in fact a server issue. The service provider has fixed it.

More
3 years 11 months ago #175813 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic 403 forbidden when trying to change k2 settings
It would be great if you could share with others what the issue was, especially after having dragged this for weeks...

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• nick
More
3 years 11 months ago #175825 by nick
Thanks Fotis,
I tried to send more info before that email but it got lost on Send, so I then cut it short as it was late in the night.

It's true, it has gone on and on and on; and I thank you for persevering with me. A lot of time was wasted chasing this down. The service provider fixed it in about 10 mins.

Here is their correspondence:
It seems your authorisation may have been revoked by Mod Security, which would explain the 403.
I have whitelisted any blocks that may have occurred by the IP address.
It's probably worth mentioning that whitelisting can only done by us.

And then this for clarity:
Authorisation getting revoked means that there were some temporary blocks applied to your IP for hitting ModSec rules often.

It seems K2 does things that some security programs don't like. You might like to look into this one day.

Thank you once again. If others were following this thread, I hope they learned something.

Regards, Nick

More
3 years 11 months ago #175833 by JoomlaWorks
Replied by JoomlaWorks on topic 403 forbidden when trying to change k2 settings
The K2 Settings view is essentiall the Configuration component (com_config) in Joomla. That component merely loads K2's settings parameters as defined in XML files. It's how all components that use the Joomla API load their settings.

In any case, if ModSecurity was blocking a GET request (to the settings) in your /administrator/ path which should be excluded from any request manipulation/filtering, I'm sorry to say this but it looks like your host really doesn't know what they're doing...

Perhaps the have hardcoded exclusions for stock Joomla components, but what they do is really a dumb thing....

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)