Keyword

catItemIsFeatured class not being generated after K2 upgrade

• Jennie Dawson
  • Jennie Dawson's Avatar Topic Author
More
4 years 2 months ago #174815 by Jennie Dawson
Hi

I ran some upgrades on one of my K2 sites and upgraded Joomla 3.9.14 to 3.9.15 and K2 from 2.9 to 2.10.2.

Afterwards the customer noticed an icon was missing which I'd styled to appear when the item was ticked as featured.

When I checked the output I could see the the catItemIsFeatured class was missing on the li tag. See screenshots showing item in backend and the code on the frontend.

URL is: www.dyfi-cottages.co.uk/

Please help

Many thanks
Jennie
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 2 months ago #174816 by JoomlaWorks
You should not modify K2's core template files but instead use template overrides as described here: getk2.org/documentation/tutorials/templating-with-k2-and-the-concepts-of-sub-templates

So copy the files from K2 as indicated in the URL above and then re-do your edits. After upgrading in the future, the changes will stick.

Fotis / JoomlaWorks Support Team
---
Please search the forum before posting a new topic :)

• Jennie Dawson
More
4 years 2 months ago #174817 by Jennie Dawson
Hi Fotis

I haven't modified the core K2 template files, I always override styles from my main template.css file, which always loads after any module css stylesheets.

The problem is that the class is missing from the k2 output in the first place. I don't know why.

If you look at my screenshots, the K2 item "The Lodge, Panteidal" is set as featured, but in the output the <li> tag for this item contains only the class="even" and is missing the class "CatItemIsFeatured".

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks again

Best wishes
Jennie

• Jennie Dawson
More
4 years 2 months ago #174819 by Jennie Dawson
OK so I have seen a bit of light on this and realised it probably has to do with my HTML overrides.

The whole layout of my page is contingent on styling the k2 extra fields and for this I created overrides for category_item.php in com_k2 and default.php in mod_k2_content. In the overrides I have added a little bit of code to generate the id number for each extra field as follows:

<li class="type<?php echo ucfirst($extraField->type); ?> group<?php echo $extraField->group; ?> field<?php echo $extraField->id; ?>">

I got this solution by googling it and so far have been able to replicate it, but the PHP construction has changed a bit. I have tried to add this in again to the new default.php for the module, but unfortunately it didn't work resulting in a mess. This is the new code I have tried to edit:

<li class="<?php echo ($key%2) ? "odd" : "even"; ?> type<?php echo ucfirst($extraField->type); ?> group<?php echo $extraField->group; ?> field<?php echo $extraField->id; ?> alias<?php echo ucfirst($extraField->alias); ?>">

Are you able to see where I went wrong?

Thanks Fotis, sorry to be a nuisance
Best wishes
Jennie

• Jennie Dawson
More
4 years 2 months ago - 4 years 2 months ago #174820 by Jennie Dawson
Oh, I've now managed to fix the override as I spotted what I missed. I needed to remove the labels as well. Though I do see from the new code that I no longer need to do this as your output now contains unique class for each extra field!

However I still don't have the class "CatItemIsFeatured" on the li tag, so I'm back to square 1.

I have looked at the php code for the li tag in both the old and the new default.php in mod_k2_content and it is identical. There is nothing in either of them that generates the class, but clearly it was there before somehow. I also have identical module on client's other site and that has the class on the li tag.

Thanks
Jennie
Last edit: 4 years 2 months ago by Jennie Dawson. Reason: further info

More
4 years 2 months ago #174822 by JoomlaWorks
If there was no override for it, you can simply create it now and append whatever customizations you like.

---

• Jennie Dawson
More
4 years 2 months ago #174823 by Jennie Dawson
Sorry Fotis, I don't understand. I don't think I have written this clearly enough for you. I have possibly confused things talking about the HTML overrides as I thought they might contain out-dated code which was causing a problem. But I have now brought these up to date so it can't be this.

I am using k2 content module to display items on the home page of this site: www.dyfi-cottages.co.uk/

This generates a list of results using <li> tags, unlike the component which uses <div> tags.

Prior to the K2 upgrade, when an item was selected as 'featured' in the backend, the relevant <li> tag contained the class CatItemIsFeatured. And I have added styling to my template that uses this class.

After the upgrade it no longer contains this class. Therefore my styling has no effect. I cannot add a style if the CSS selector is missing from the HTML.

I have tried to copy the code that creates this class from the K2 component category_item.php to the li tag in my HTML override for the module

But just created PHP error, I don't know enough to do this.

Really appreciate any help you are able to give me

Best regards
Jennie

• Jennie Dawson
More
4 years 2 months ago #174828 by Jennie Dawson
I have fixed this now. I did a search for CatItemIsFeatured in a backup installation and found the code that now seems to have gone missing from the k2 content module template.

In case anyone else is missing this here it is.

In mod_k2_content -> Default -> default.php I changed this line in my HTML overrides:

<li class="<?php echo ($key%2) ? "odd" : "even"; if(count($items)==$key+1) echo ' lastItem'; ?>">

to:

<li class="<?php echo ($key%2) ? "odd" : "even"; if(count($items)==$key+1) echo ' lastItem'; if($item->featured) echo ' catItemIsFeatured' ?>">

Still confused as to how this went missing out of my previous overrides, I must have mixed something up somewhere. Either that or it's been missing a while and my client just didn't notice. Which does happen.

Thanks

Jennie

More
4 years 2 months ago #174832 by JoomlaWorks
I'm pretty sure this was never in the module's override.

Check the history of the changes in the file: github.com/getk2/k2/commits/master/modules/mod_k2_content/tmpl/Default/default.php

Either way the naming pattern you mention "catItemIsFeatured" is not compatible with the classes used in the override which are prefixed with "moduleItem". If you look at all K2 templates, you'll notice a naming consistency in CSS classes and IDs.

---

• Jennie Dawson
More
4 years 2 months ago #174834 by Jennie Dawson
Perhaps it crossed over from the Styleware module I was originally using. I don't have a record of this but I'm not as organised as you programmers!

Thanks for looking
x